Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CWD Hits close to home

Just the one found 2 years ago. It was a 4+ year old buck and likely from the Wayne county IA positives if I had to guess.

They have not found anymore positives during the reg season testing, or CWD season testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t
Just the one found 2 years ago. It was a 4+ year old buck and likely from the Wayne county IA positives if I had to guess.

They have not found anymore positives during the reg season testing, or CWD season testing.

I can’t believe that buck made it through the CWD border checks!

I was just making a joke, but yeah I’m sure that happens.

The funny part is all the booners from Mercer county that actually came from Wayne/Decatur County IA....

The state line road looks like an interstate during MO rifle season.

Are any landowners right around you allowing the DNR to slaughter them?

Unfortunately, yes....

This was last years CWD shooting efforts in the zone.

48268595628afd26bea222855f01b214.jpg

Letemgrow--what is all allowed, extra tags, the DNR is shooting them? This is stupid once again.

Letemgrow--what is all allowed, extra tags, the DNR is shooting them? This is stupid once again.

DNR will shoot them on your property if you allow them. Thermals, bait piles, etc, unlimited amount of how many you want to shoot.

I had them authorize 5 for my place and my brother is doing the shooting. It seems counter productive to me to kill em all before they die of CWD....

CWD isn’t a threat to wiping out deer like EDH is... it’s just a ploy to allow the government to wipe out the deer for insurance company money...

if they cared about deer they would focus on EHD....

I do hear what you are saying, but I think if there is proof CWD ever transfers to humans, which some think it does (Flounder)...that is a whole new ballgame, and very serious.

I don't want to fight a war on two fronts, the first being legislative issues but please remember that EHD comes and goes, CWD is forever. In a few years you won't even know there was an outbreak of EHD but that mineral dump is the gift that keeps on giving.

There has been one instance in New York where the scorched earth policy stopped the spread of CWD. They got it very early before it got into the mineral dumps, isolated the family group and wiped them out. Some one mentioned they are trying to slow the spread by murdering deer. This, in my opinion, will help slow the spread. It sucks for you but works well for me because I don't want it in my back yard. This policy didn't work in Wisconsin for a myriad of reasons. I do not condone the use of sharpshooters, I believe, based on conversations I've had with some Iowa DNR folks in the past, that Iowa will not use sharp shooters for two reasons, they ain't free and public opinion is against it.

Anyway, that's an abbreviated version of my stump speech.

CWD isn’t a threat to wiping out deer like EDH is... it’s just a ploy to allow the government to wipe out the deer for insurance company money...

if they cared about deer they would focus on EHD....

I'm sorry but this is just not true. Insurance rates are figured by statistics. Live in an area that has a lot of deer claims and you'll pay a higher rate because of it. Deer strikes are a tiny fraction of insurance company payouts.

I don't know what the answer is as far as CWD but I think it's safe to say it's spreading. I don't buy the it's always been here argument.
I think many in the "industry" are trying to poo poo it because it's seen as a threat to said "industry".

I don't want to fight a war on two fronts, the first being legislative issues but please remember that EHD comes and goes, CWD is forever. In a few years you won't even know there was an outbreak of EHD but that mineral dump is the gift that keeps on giving.

There has been one instance in New York where the scorched earth policy stopped the spread of CWD. They got it very early before it got into the mineral dumps, isolated the family group and wiped them out. Some one mentioned they are trying to slow the spread by murdering deer. This, in my opinion, will help slow the spread. It sucks for you but works well for me because I don't want it in my back yard. This policy didn't work in Wisconsin for a myriad of reasons. I do not condone the use of sharpshooters, I believe, based on conversations I've had with some Iowa DNR folks in the past, that Iowa will not use sharp shooters for two reasons, they ain't free and public opinion is against it.

Anyway, that's an abbreviated version of my stump speech.

What plan does Iowa have for CWD? I have only read little updates. Is there a long term plan, what are they doing now in the "hot" spots?

What plan does Iowa have for CWD? I have only read little updates. Is there a long term plan, what are they doing now in the "hot" spots?

I don't think the long term plan has changed. Increase surveillance in a 5 mile radius of a positive, allocate more does tags for the area and let the locals either take care of it or let it spread. Pretty much leaving up to the hunters. Leading a horse to water so to speak. With the increase in positives this year I don't know if that plan will change but I doubt it.

Another part of my stump speech is all about how the people feel when they hear CWD is found in their area. It's a gut punch, and wouldn't you want others not to have to feel the same thing? We will never eradicate it but we can slow the spread. Do your part so others don't have experience or go through what you are. That's about the time some folks look thoughtful and others are warming up the tar, plucking the chickens and finding a suitable rail.

Upcoming DNR meetings where this topic should be broached. Look at the Iowa DNR News webpage for dates.

The IA HF2458 bill is addressing their plan of action

Top Bottom