Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

All day

beararchery

Well I've made up my mind this year and have decided I'm going to start doing all day sits. I've been getting excited ( I don't know why) about just relaxing all day. How do you guys that set all day pass the time. I set here saying I'm going to do it but when it comes down to it I don't think I can. Do you guys actually see deer all day, because I can't really imagine shooting a buck at 1.

A few things to consider:

1) You'll need food and water. Take some high calorie snacks in your pack and a couple bottles of water. Use the food breaks as a goal. Knowing you get a snack at say 11 and 2 gives you something to look forward to.

2) Try real hard not to break a sweat on the way to the stand. If your feet get sweaty and then get cold it's gonna be hard to go more than a few hours.

3) Don't focus on the time left, just enjoy the scenery. I try to forbid myself from looking at my phone to check the time...it's better to watch the sun track across the sky.

You'll be amazed at the deer that stumble through in the middle of the day. That being said, all day sits are great during the chase phase and hotter times of the rut. They are crappy in mid-October.

I do 3 or 4 all day sits each season. It's tough to do too many. Once you do some, though, a 4 hour afternoon/evening hunt is a piece of cake.

I take an Ambien and I usually wake up around 5 pm, right when the action is good! :)
1st all-day hunt for the year is tough, as I do them for 4 or 5 days I get used to them. I do take a 30 min nap (yes, I know!! I'm strapped in) when I'm as sure as can be there's a lull. I also pick my days when it's really rocking and cold. I have whole YEARS when the all-dayers don't work that year and other years when I have great success all day. The days I GENERALLY sit all day are Nov 5-12-ish and are usually in spots that I wouldn't wanna get outta and bugger up anyways. I bring intelligently picked snacks and some caffeine beverages. I also bring my phone w/full charged battery and occasionally check out internet. PATIENCE! It ain't easy BUT it sure can be worth it! Realize somedays will be productive and others u may not meet your goal of all day action. Some years are better than others for this too. Good luck!

What stands would be good for all day sits? I got a couple sets basically in there bedding area but I can see a good 60 yards all the way around. I also got some stands in the timber. I might get some land with bean and corn on them. Would it be best to hunt the food source?

The real trick is finding a spot where the action could be good all day long. That is the tough part. The sittings isn't that hard if the tree you are in is comfortable and you are seeing deer every hour or so.

Liv4Rut said:
The real trick is finding a spot where the action could be good all day long. That is the tough part. The sittings isn't that hard if the tree you are in is comfortable and you are seeing deer every hour or so.

I got a stand that was really good in mornings and evening sits, so that's where il be first Saturday of November.

patience. a little early for that now I think and would think its a recipe for burnout. the best is still a couple weeks away for that, but if you are short on time have at it.

Just hope like hell you shoot one in the first 2 hours and then you don't have to worry about it. Don't be afraid to climb down once on awhile either. Helps get the blood moving again and can really boost morale.

Take a good book. That is how I pass the time midday-- As far as stand location, I typically am closer to bedding areas at this time-- I won't start sitting on all day until oct 29 though. I have seen alot of really nice bucks in the middle of the day. I have a couple of spots that I really can't get out of my tree because there are always deer working the area.

2 of my attempted all dayers I shot bucks by 0830 and another I shot at 2pm.. the one at 2pm was one of my best sits ever. It was november 8th and had pretty solid deer movement all day. I have a handheld yahtzee gam I play quite a bit to pass the time and a smart phone helps also. Bring lots of snacks and a stand wth a foot rest is pretty key. In or around a bedding area will be your best all day sit but wait for the action to get hot before you attempt it. Bucks will be checking DOE bedding areas all day long for obvious reasons.

I started sitting all day around 1994 and was amazed at what I saw back then there were a lot fewer hunters so in my opinion the hunting was a lot better. I always take plenty of food and lots of clothes with me one other thing is get a good book that will pass the time. I personally like Louis L'amour's books seems like it is hard to put one of those down. As a rule I have always waited till November 5th to start the all day sits.

It's not nearly as bad as you would think. It's only about a 10 hour sit once time changes and I do that everyday at work :D

JakeWym had some good advice, it's not bad to climb down and get the blood flowing again and stretch. Sit in funnel areas between bedding areas and you will have action all day. One of the biggest deer I have ever killed came 12:45 in the afternoon in a funnel area on November 16th. In my opinion it's all about being mentally strong. Personally, I live for bowhunting and look forward to bowseason all year long, so you'll never hear me say that I'm burnt out or that I want to sleep in. We get roughly 60 days a year to do what we love and during the month of November, you never know when it can happen. Mountain Dew and a tin of Copenhagen or Skoal helps alot also :grin: Good luck and have fun.... and just enjoy it man, it'll be gone before you know it and than we'll all be wishing it was here again :way:

Sitting near a bedding area is good and also have had luck sitting about 100 yards from a river or water hole. Be sure to be strapped in because it is really easy to doze off in mid afternoon if the action is slow.
good luck

Always take a dump before you go out, and bring a couple piss bottles. I also recommend William Faulkner...he's got a few hunting books... and the Bear is damn good. The original Tarzan book is a good book for the woods too.

All day sits for me require a tree that leans back some, kinda like a recliner on those long sits. I'll "third" the climbing down and back up suggestion. That helps a ton on the colder days. I want to be in my sets that are in the thickest junk in the woods. Bucks will cruise those areas hard looking for bedded does..

any stand will work, just make sure you have a decent a$$ cushion. I'm going to throw a third nod to Jake's advice to get down once and a while. I usually get down to take a leak and do some stretches.

By all means if the wind changes, get down and move to another stand.

My first all day sit a few years ago, I bumped some feeding deer off the field on my way in. Got to the stand and sat there all day and didn't see another deer until O-dark-thirty...it was Nov 4th. Same stand on Nov9th I sat there all day and there wasn't more than 45mins between deer sightings. Saw 16 different bucks, 20 does, 5 coon, and 30 turkey. Probably my best hunt ever, but no shooter bucks.

i personally love the all day sits and cant wait to start them here hopefully next week,,i don't take a book cuz to me its like watching tv just sitting there watching what goes on in the woods during the day with all the other critters...i take a a lunch and only water for a drink...i also use my summit viper which is why i started all day sits in the first place. never been so comfortable in a stand in my life...i also like to find the leaning back tree a little cuz an afternoon nap is great in the deer woods in November especially in Iowa... i actually feel the longer i sit in a good all day spot without seeing deer the better it is cuz i know there coming....but that's just me...good luck

I like to sit all day in November either during the archery rut or the first day of the gun season.

It is tough, I might recommend having two stands within a certain area, and possibly switch stands to break up the day, but it all depends on what you are seeing.

My second biggest buck ever was shot at 1:30 on November 7th...called him in to a decoy set-up... that was fun!!

Top Bottom