Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Beans

rarndt16

I heard that when the beans start to turn yellow they become sour and deer don't feed on them until after harvest. Is there any truth to this?

I've heard this too. I think they stop eating the leaves/plant when they turn, and then start hitting the pods once the leaves fall and it starts getting colder and they need the protein. Correct me if I'm wrong.

True, soybeans are great for whitetails when the leaves are green and the early growth stage's even before the pods start.and fantastic for capturing velvet footage, other then that- unless you plant them very late or have an early Sept, hunting season, the deer will leave them,by mid sept. and honestly they are worthless for an early hunting season if your season does not kick in until Oct, I have over 6 ac.s of bean in right now and yes we always plant them every year, and leave them standing, We, do both and use a variety of seed one a regular soybean and then a whitetail ( extra forage bean) they are a great source of protien to add to your herd's diet through the ruff winter conditons some of have,-looking forward to sitting our standing beans late season(wink) oh and before anyone mentions Eagle seed beans. been there done that, Neither I or the deer liked walking through Neck high beans, save your money and just plant an extra forage bean

I have a stand in a slough thats completley surrounded by beans. Last year it was corn. Had deer all over. Beans this year. Sounds like its gonna be a bummer? Had high hopes for it, CRAP.

For most part- yep- yellow beans ain't gonna have much action. Early Oct- if you can find green beans, still good. Hope they are good and dried out by Nov when they start picking back up again. I'd say other than dried out beans in Nov, some other tweaked options that are great are: freshly combined corn (Amazing a few days later & a cold night), freshly combined beans are decent. Green beans or dried out beans with COLD weather are really the only place beans are going to be great.

If you want an in-between..... Quickly get in there if they are yellowing and overseed winter rye. You could add some radishes- those might not do a ton but I'd add some. This will give you more action during the down-time on beans.

I've learned deer love to hit dried-out beans after a rain or a heavy dew. The moisture softens the pods that
are usually dry and hard, making the beans more desirable to eat. It makes sense; I couldn't imagine chewing on dry scratchy pods.

We usually try to plant brassicas nearby the soybean plots. Gives the deer a green forage option during that 2 week or so transition from green beans to brown. Once the beans are fully mature, the deer will come back and they'll be a favored food source again. At least that's what we experience...

NWBuck

I drove by one field this morning that was almost striped with green leaves and then yellow leaves. Must have had to replant or something. I have a stand near one bean field which has turned a lot in the last week. Should be dried by the time I hunt that stand, and if not, there is some clover mix nearby. This field usually has deer each morning/night come late Oct. when planted to beans.

Top Bottom