Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunt report / Rut report

Drove all morning Sunday saw a few bucks 2 130s out cruising in the early hours . Tonight went for a cruise and it was like light switch flipped . Saw bucks with does bedded , 3 years olds alone in wide open fields running with mouths open . Does in odd ball places . Got my confidence back and will be parked in the stand in the A.M.
23e07c906d8505774f65f41be5fdc3ed.jpg
b9f674662179b301c89e028e2d33e9ff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had 9 does pass by me this morning. Not a single buck around. Seems kind of odd being the 8th of November. I know the bucks are around. Got proof of that on my cameras. Very frustrating!!!! Wright County

South central. I'm still seeing a good amount of bucks and does. 6 bucks to 7 does per morning/day/evening sits (yeah I keep track at detailed levels for the data). Chasing in the mornings mostly, some in the evenings, but mostly a buck following a doe or cruising. Alot of good 3yr olds that excite the future but not throwing in the 2017 towel yet. Saw my first busted rack on the 7th and tried first rattling that morning. Rattled in the same buck I did and passed last year. Open 50yd shot but I didn't take it...touch to far. I regret it. I've seen 2 of my top 4 bucks only a couple of times. I can't figure them out but maybe today

yesterday was the first time I have seen any rutting activity this year, and of course I couldn’t hunt yesterday. Headed out mid morning till dark today. NE Kansas.

Johnson Co - slow all week. I had a borderline shooter (only a 3yr old) walk past on tuesday around 1. Thats about it. The does and bucks have sort of disappeared the last couple of days. I'm hoping the overnight cold snap will make tomorrow a little better.

Crazy slow all day sit for me. 3 doe and 2 8 pointers by 9am and then nothing until a lone doe at 5:15. Hour south of Des Moines.

E. central Iowa -- good day for me...sat sun up till 230 and didn't go 30 minutes without some activity all day. Had to leave for work, and hated to leave though was getting little windburnt. Seen 20 plus bucks, two mature, one 3.5 and rest baskets and yearlings. Best action I have seen yet.

Reactions: arm
Thursday Nov 9th East Central Muscatine county, best sit so far, sun-up to 1:00pm, saw lots of activity and 3 of my 4 mature bucks from Oct pics from 12:15-1:00, should have stayed but my toes were frozen, 7 bucks total, 2- 4 yr olds and one 7+ yr old, he didn’t respond to calls at all. Sitting now until 5:30 and have seen two yearling bucks in the first 30 min. Definitely does in heat, had one grunting and peeing everywhere yesterday looking for love!

It’s on u monkeys!!! Saw older buck tending a doe. Saw 5 year old cruising. With wind- saw a lot of deer bedded down too though. But- now to late nov is time to be out and try different set ups- go!!!

Good day, saw three 4 or 5 year old bucks this am out cruising and one was limping badly. So I went this evening in same spot looking for the buck that caused the damage and I saw a new buck in the 160s that I will be chasing. Alot of small bucks wondering around but the deer are moving good in west cental iowa.

Sat from dark until dark! Lots of movement, especially in the morning. It is in full swing. Good luck to everyone. Eastern Iowa

Saw this guy yesterday with some lady’s 100 yards off the road , wouldn’t move for anything
050cc5e6647133d8f0d1267711f298c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SW Iowa, The switch was flipped yesterday. Was out for an afternoon hunt. Saw 5 or 6 bucks all either with does, looking for or trailing does. Before then my hunting buddy and I had been out hunting 5 times and hadn't seen a buck- was very strange.

Still not seeing much action. 30+ hrs in stand last week and only saw a couple bucks that werent forks. The does were nearly nonexistant last week as well. What i did see were not being followed by bucks. No chasing. This morning i saw 11 does before even getting to stand - most mature and in big groups - again no bucks so far. Is the herd just slow here this year?

Sat last night and never saw a deer. I'm in a small creek bottom, which is a travel corridor below a bedding area. Corn got picked on Saturday, which may have pushed deer out, but usually they are hitting the picked field. Only a few does and some dink bucks this year. Never saw a shooter last season. Time to look for another spot. :)

My last 3 hunts have been my best of the season since I started October 27th. Lots of active cruising mature bucks. Seen my first in person buck fight, 60 yards from my stand. Heard first buck roar. Very cool. So glad I can hunt until the gun opener.

Reactions: arm
I was in a spot between bedding but could also see food sources from a distance for an all day hunt yesterday. Morning was only 1 chase with bucks looking or following. High noon had one of the best bucks come down for a drink and leave. Too far for a shot and too smart for my d.a. The evening was the first time I've seen does on normal feeding pattern. Idk if it was the temps or if the harassment has just declined and they arent hiding as much now. Same buck following a doe in the evening but out of range. Most visibility I've seen from the true dominant deer so far. Also yesterday was the first day I've seen bucks (2) that I've never seen before and I saw less of the normal crew. Maybe they're wondering out of their normal ranges for more does??

Sat all day yesterday. I had a stand up on some public a ways back in the woods on a ridge, but I could just make out some prairie about a 1/2 mile away. I could see a doe in the field, got my binoculars up and there was a big buck tending. Now this was only about 400 yards off the road but backed up to some private land, so I thought "why not". Got my climber out, found a nice tree and went up all day yesterday (Thursday). Best decision I ever made.

There were deer moving until about noon and then again from 2:30 until dark. For the rut report, most of the does were not being harassed and were single. Morning was mostly does, yearlings and four smaller bucks (only one of which was cruising).

Afternoon-evening was another story. I had two shooters within 20 yards. The first wouldn't stop no matter what noise I made. The second came right toward me and stopped at 10 yards and just looked straight up at me, he decided to fast walk out of there. Saw two buck INSISTING on getting a date from a hot doe. Another 4.5 year old that had a busted antler. It was an amazing day. I saw a total of 36 deer!

Top Bottom