Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunt report / Rut report

I would agree with this. I think we are just slightly too early yet to see consistent action. The occasional hot doe can make things seem like it's on.....

Yeah, but when it gets that cold in late October it's pretty tough not pee your pants just a little bit.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
First lip curl of the season. 3 year old 8 checking does tonight on the field edge. Does came out to feed and he headed back into the timber.

What I’ve seen the last three days it’s not happening yet. I hunt big woods so I see less deer normally than if I was hunting a edge. If the bucks are cruising I normally see many in my spots. I’m still getting many new bucks checking scrapes. Not say what I see is gospel but with 30 hours in the stand I’m seeing normal movement. Any day now it will bust wide open and hopefully today is the day.

When you get to work at 5:30 a.m. and there are 2 bucks chasing a doe around the lawn it makes you kinda sick to your stomach. I may have to go home sick!!!!

Had a 130incher last night by my stand working scrapes for over an hour . Not a care in the world trying to find a doe just lolly gagging along . Prettt quiet where I’m at now .

Totally random observation...I am meeting up with the other members of our elk hunting trip and I am out by the Coralville results and just saw a nice 3 crossing the road. Definitely on the prowl.

First serious hunt of the year, my best stand is west of about 5 acres of evergreens & sets up great for an east wind. Got in at dawn and have seen ~15 different bucks, 3 or 4 of those being mature shooters. The little bucks are cruising and the big boys are bird dogging the 1 or 2 does that are already in estrus or close to it. Hearing lots of grunting, running, and some minor skirmishes coming out of the evergreens. Did have a 160 that skirted me at 75yds in a drainage at 1pm so that at least made me feel like my hunch to sit all day was worth it. Also had a bonus bobkitty right under my stand at 8am, had me wishing season was open. Madison County.

Little one had a dr apt this morning so I got to the stand around 2. Two young bucks wandering alone and 4 does so far.

Decent 10 pt (135-40) working a scrape and 2 lone does finished off the evening. Don't think we are quite there yet.

Maybe tomorrow is the day!

Saw probably 10 does yesterday, 4 bucks and at 1:45pm I snort wheezed in my #1 target buck. Unfortunately the arrow deflected off a branch and went between his legs. He didn't spook bad, so hopefully he returns.

I’m hunting with my friend Friday this farm just had normal movement with many deer seen.
Friday night he went to a farm 10 miles south and bucks chasing does all afternoon.

When he just got settled in he dropped the hook for his pack back down once back up he forgot to put the ears on the decoy. Back down and so sooner when he got hooked up deer were all over him. He wanted to shoot the 9 pt but decided not to...... good thing he didn’t he forgot to nock a arrow :oops:
We had lots of laughs with him at the house

All set up and ready to go. Good luck to anyone out today. Be safe and shoot straight!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty slow for me as well. 3 doe and a BB came by abut 9. 2 doe and the BB left.

Had a small fork horn at first light. A doe with a small 6 point in tow around 0830... nothing else since..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty slow once it got light. Lots of grunting and chasing in the dark but couldn' see them. Once it was light I saw 1 small buck and a doe.

Got interesting at 11:15. An 8 and 9 came by. 5 minutes later a 3.5 year old with junk on 1 brow and a 150 class 10 chasing a doe. But, she took off with them. Polk county.

Top Bottom