Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2015 AZ Hunting Journal

Thanks for all of the prayers. Its been a crazy couple of weeks lately. Before my shot Thursday, I was in elk all day Wednesday (ALL DAY), but couldn't close the deal and finally got busted by 15 cows I didn't see as I was trying to gain 10 more yards on the big 6x6 70 yards in front of me on the other side of a small tree. Thursday morning has stayed fresh in my brain and I'm finding the lessons to be learned in there. I went back in to that area Friday morning, but it was quiet. As I was getting ready to head out Friday afternoon, I got word that a friend of mine from UTEP died unexpectedly from a pulmonary embolism. He was 3-4 years younger than me and left behind a beautiful wife and two beautiful kids. I almost didn't go out Friday, but knew I needed to the solitude to wrap my head around it.

Despite Sydney telling me to hunt Saturday instead of going to her soccer tournament, I needed family time after Friday's news. I'm glad I did as I watched her get two shut outs in two games, although she didn't have much action. Sunday's games were different, but she held strong and made a great save that ended up costing her as she had to be carried off the field by her coach, clutching her knee. She's going to be ok in a week or so, but I don't want to tell the whole story as she just mentioned working on another journal entry. I will say this: she's TOUGH! She makes me so proud.

This week, I'm hunting before work and after work, which is going to make for long days without any naps in between. The weather for tonight/tomorrow is not looking good with 70% chance of heavy rain for tonight into tomorrow. Its supposed to clear out of here, giving me Wednesday and Thursday to hunt before season ends Thursday. I told my wife that elk or not, I've had a great run. I was able to get my heart back in it, find a hunt/family balance, and I got a great opportunity at a great bull. I haven't given up yet, but I've put it all in the Lord's hands and have found contentment in this hunt!

Long Days, Tough Decision, and Long Update

It’s Wednesday aftermoon, 23 September, the second to last day of my elk hunt and I’m sitting at my desk. It has been a long hunt that has been both emotionally and physically demanding and draining and I’m done. It may sound silly or strange, but my body and mind just can’t take anymore.

I went out Monday afternoon to my spot after my last update and around 5 pm, had two bulls bugling. One was definitely a young bull, probably a spike, but I started calling to him to see what would happen. In the process of that, a bigger one bugled closer. He caught my attention so I started calling to him, too. It didn’t take long to figure out he was getting closer, so I got myself ready. Arrow was knocked and I was up behind the tree I knew would have me well within range for an easy shot. About 15 minutes later, I see legs moving through the trees coming towards the far side of the tank. Then there were antlers. He came into the far side of the tank, where I didn’t have a shot and he was out of range at 85 yards or so. He was a young 5x5 raghorn that had come into the tank on Sept 15 (the day I took a break). He waded out into the tank up to his chest and started playing around. I took that opportunity to get five yards closer to the next tree down. The bull moved in closer to the bank and started pawing at the water. I mewed at him a couple of times to see if I could get him to head my way. He looked my direction, but proceeded to start thrashing a log with his antlers. You know, that kind of “I’m the tough guy when nobody else is around!” kind of behavior. It was absolutely great to watch. After a couple of minutes, he started to walk off, so I called to him and he took a path above and across from me that had him trying to get upwind of me, but we were already in a down slope/down canyon wind. I kept the calling up and when he was behind a tree, I ranged the next tree from him at 66 yards. I knew he would come down to the canyon bottom and hit a known 50-yard mark, if not closer. He did exactly that, but his path of travel had him walking right toward me, looking right at me at 45 yards. I’m not sure what I did (flinched or leaned wrong), but he busted me and turned to trot off. I chirped at him and he stopped broadside looking at me. I remember thinking “Its all or nothing here.” and drew my bow as he watched me. I figured if he ran off, it was still a great experience. He stood there instead. I couldn’t get my range finder on him, but I guessed him at about 60 yards, so I settled my pin on his chest. I watched the arrow hit home but a little high in his chest as he turned to run. I called to him, but he kept running. I called my wife at 5:29 pm, shaking like crazy. I called a couple of buddies and they said they’d be there to help me. I marked the spot I hit him and ranged the tree I shot from at 55 yards. It was about an hour when we started tracking him.

We got on good blood and his tracks and followed him for about 150 yards when I found my arrow with the Nockturnal glowing in the dark. It had almost 19 inches of lung blood on it. We were confident that there was a dead bull not far in front of us! Around 0830, we lost blood and his tracks in the dark. The decision was made to come back in the morning and get back on him before the heavy rains predicted started. My two buddies from Monday night had to work early, but another buddy (Erik) agreed to meet me at the sight at 0500 and pick up his track at first light. He saw my arrow and agreed that he was dead. At first light, we couldn’t pick up his tracks for find more blood, so we started grid searching in the direction of travel. We grid searched all morning above and below his direction of travel and found nothing. We figured, like most wounded animals, he’d head downhill, but he was nowhere below us. Eventually, we picked up his blood trail again, and it was headed in the direction we’d already covered, following the contour of the slope we were one. It was steep up above us. We went back in that direction and up into more steep, thick nasty stuff, but never found any more blood. Erik had to head to work, but my wife had texted me saying she was skipping out of work for a bit to help me look. I was fighting back tears all morning and she knew it. She brought the dogs, extra water for me and something to eat (I packed light thinking we’d be packing elk back to the truck by 0700). I grabbed a quick bite to eat while she and the dogs hiked around in the direction of the bull’s travel. I joined her and we went back into the steep country. That’s when the rain prediction came to fruition. Minnie realized we were losing blood at known sites and that finding was getting tougher. After 7 hours and 6.5 miles of grid searching in some steep, rugged country, I made the decision to call it off. There weren’t any other places to look that wouldn’t jeopardize our safety and the rain was making it more difficult (footing and blood finding).

I can tell you that was a long half-mile hike back to my truck, but I’m glad it was with my best friend and our dogs. We talked a lot about my hunt, the effort I put into it, and all the advice I’ve given fellow hunters in my shoes, as well as what I teach kids in Hunter Ed classes. One of her coworkers shot a great bull right in the chest the other day, but lost blood and the bull, too. If you hunt long enough, especially with a bow, you’re going to lose one. If you give it your all to recover it, but still can’t find it, you have to accept that and keep moving forward. I’ve had countless texts, emails, and FB messages from friends giving me encouragement and reminding me of my ethics. Its been uplifting to say the least. As my buddy, Erik, put it before he left: “You’re putting a terrible amount of undue pressure on yourself. You hunt long enough and you’ll lose one. Even the best hunters do. You have to accept it and move forward, learning as you go. Besides, you’re doing it right. You’re not driving around the roads drinking beer and looking for elk like a lot of hunters around here do.” He’s right. I’d rather come up empty doing it right than to fill my tag the other way. I told Erik that I was thinking about hanging it up. He told me I’d earned the right to throw in the towel and nothing to be ashamed of if I did. He lost two bulls last year, so he knew exactly what I was going through. It still hurts, but I’m learning to accept it.

When we got home, my wife gave me a big hug and I finally released a week’s worth of pent up emptions. I won’t lie. I’ll own those tears, short-lived as they were. Shooting and losing two bulls in 5 days and losing a good friend in between was just too much for me. I told her I missed my family and that I was done. I got out of bed this morning and hurt from head to toe. Walking on flat floors hurt. It still does here at my office. Since September 11, I’ve logged over 50 miles in some rough country. Only one day of hunting was done on relatively flat ground; the rest was in and out of canyons and up and down mountains. I’m running somewhere close to a 12,000-15,000 calorie deficit (calories in vs. calories out) since Sept 11. We hunt because we love the roller coaster of highs and lows. This is the first time I’ve hit the lowest low we hunters can hit. I know I’m not alone, but I just can’t take it anymore. I’ve finally hit my limit. 14 days ago, I didn’t really want to this hunt to start and now I don’t want it to end, but its been a good run. It recharged my heart and I found “it” again! I’ve learned even more, had GREAT experiences, and had my family supporting me every step of the way. What more can you really ask for?

Now, its back to my family and getting Syd ready for her hunts. She’s getting excited and we’re hoping her knee is healed enough to get to the shooting range this weekend. She’s still planning her own journal entry, so stay tuned for that. I’m looking forward to joining my favorite hunting buddy on her hunts. I know I’ll be chasing mule deer in December and January, so that will get me back in the saddle and give me something to prepare for in the meantime. Thanks again for following along so far and all of the encouragement!

This might actually be the bull I shot Thursday, but jumped the highway after I hit him near his back leg

This is the 5x5 raghorn I shot Monday night

My bloody arrow Monday night. 19" of lung blood and we lost the trail and he disappeared.

I threw my rain-soaked hat onto the passenger seat after getting back to my truck Tuesday. It reminded me of you all the support. It only seemed fitting to take a pic to share.

Well you definitely put forth the effort for the hunt. Eventually that stuff happens and there's nothing that can be done but try to learn from the experience. I for one have definitely enjoyed following along with this journal.

Sounds like you had a great season. Ups and downs, reflection on what is important, friends.. I'd say it was a success. The kill is a fraction of the hunt. Thanks for letting us follow!

Definitely a journey of lessons learned, lows and highs that's what makes it that much sweeter when it does work out. Thanks for sharing the journey fully and here's to your next adventures!

Great Journal Brian! That is the reality that we all face sometime. Heck of a hunt, and getting on two great bulls in one week is something many of us will never do.

Your best was given. We all have been there. Just to much respect for our quarry. We all have wanted to quit. But time will heal and pick up your bow and get after it again next tag draw. You get to do what millions wish they could do so carry on. I agree the arrow looked very hopeful.

I agree the arrow looked good don't give up. The last 5 days here have been the best of the hunt for us. I lucked out early Tuesday with a mid 330 6 pt. Still here gladsing to try to find my brother one then break camp and start the 1300 mile drive home tomorrow.Thank you for sharing the ups and downs of your hunt and sharing your state with some nonresidents.

Thanks again for all of the support and encouragement, as well as the private messages and texts from those of you who know how to reach me that way. I have absolutely no regrets about my decision to hang it up early as it lead to some great family time. I was able to find my successes and look back at what there was to learn. I was asking God the other day what the purpose of losing two bulls was and it took me back to the scenarios. Both times, I was on the phone with friends I hadn't spoken to in a long time. I was able to reconnect with two good friends and that is hard to beat! I'm putting the lessons learned in my pocket for the next time and I'm gaining more confidence that I'll get to wrap my tag around antlers!

On another note, I took Syd to the doctor for her knee-injury follow-up yesterday morning. She's not 100%, but pretty darn close. She was given the ok to head to her class field trip, which is four days/three nights at a local overnight camp in the mountains. There will be hiking, but we're confident she'll continue to heal and be 100% by the weekend. That lead to another difficult decision for us. She's never hidden the fact that soccer is her greatest love and she wants to replace Hope Solo on the USWNT (You'll all get invited to her World Cup and Olympic games!). Hunting is a very close second and the two overlap frequently. The injury made things more complicated. I was all set to take her javelina hunting Friday and then to soccer Saturday, until the doc got a pain response from one test. I knew in my heart that hunting, ableit on relatively easy terrain, wasn't in her best interest if she wanted to play soccer Saturday. I had to talk to her about skipping her javelina hunt to make sure her knee is 100% for her two games. She knew I was right, but didn't like it any more than I did. I told her that a javelina hunt isn't worth the potential to have to sit out even longer. She agreed and went on to say that if this was her buck tag, we'd be hunting and skipping soccer. I absolutely hate putting an 11-year old kid in a situation to have to choose between two passions, but I'm glad she has the maturity and perspective to understand. The good news is that we leave next Thursday (8 October) for her deer hunt on the North Rim. She's definitely excited for that! We looked at the spring hunts and she picked out the youth javelina hunts she wants to apply for. The good thing about that is you can get two javelina tags as long as they are in different units. As soon as we get her winter soccer league schedule (different than tournament play), we'll look at leftover tags and maybe try to convince her mom to let us sneak away for a second javelina hunt. That one would probably be a HAM (Handgun-Archery-Muzzleloader) hunt, so she'll have to get back to her bow and learn to use one of my pistols! Gotta love her determination! And since we're not hunting Friday, I'm taking advantage of my day off to head out and pull at least one of my cameras and see if I can find birds swarming an area, looking for the raghorn I lost.

After her deer hunt, we have to get her shotgun ready for a pheasant hunt. I bought her a youth pheasant hunt at our NWTF banquet last March. That hunt is in January and she's excited. Time to reconfigure it from being turkey ready to being pheasant ready and then get her out to the trap and skeet line. And I have multiple invitations for December and January archery mule deer hunting, so I have to get right back in the saddle with my bow!

Thanks for posting your hunting journal again this year. It's always fun following your detailed stories. As hunters, we can all relate to similar experiences and emotions. Gets me very excited for the season. I wish more folks would share like you do. Thanks!

Hey, this is Sydney.
I haven't been able to write up another entry in a while with all the things I have been in. I am extremely busy with soccer, school, and my knee injury, which is almost 100% healed. I also just got back from camp colton. But right now, me and my dad are going on my deer hunt. I am extremely excited to hunt, even though I had the same tag last year. Im just happy that I get to hunt. Some if my friends didnt even get drawn.:-( I hope it goes well, and ill tune you guys in later!

Last edited:
Teaser alert! This kid made me work my but off today, but we're celebrating a second year of opening day deer success! She'll post the story and pics when we get back! Bacon cheeseburgers have been ordered at Jacob Lake Inn!

Top Bottom