Acorns to Oaks!

Discussion in 'Dbltree's corner' started by dbltree, Jun 2, 2010.

1. dbltree

dbltree Super Moderator

Oaks and chestnuts can be easily started from seed with the right knowledge about collecting, storing and planting them and we'll try to cover those things in detail in this thread along will all pictures and information about various oak species and hybrids.

Sources for acorns include parks, universities and friends with heavy yielding trees and willing to share but hybrid oak acorns are less readily available so here a few sources for hybrids:

Oikos tree crops -Acorn source

Sheffields -Acorns

Advantage Forestry

Concordia Oak acorn source

Why hybrids?

Oikos Tree Crops - Hybrid Oaks

Plant an Acorn - Grow an Oak Tree

Direct seeding acorns

Acorns can be fall planted individually or broadcast at 1500 acorns per acre and disked in.

Direct Seeding of Hardwoods in Wisconsin

The biggest source of acorn predation of course is squirrels and mice who dig up newly planted acorns so for small quanities one needs to protect them in some manner.

Tree tubes, fenceing or screen will all work to protect the acorns and later the tiny seedlings.

Planting Oaks- Restoration

[​IMG]

One ft tall tubes are inexpensive and a great way to protect acorns

[​IMG]

The tubes continue to protect and enhance early seedling growth

[​IMG]

Acorn storage is extremely important especially when storing white oak acorns. Keeping them slightly moist while not allowing them to get moldy is imperative.

Acorn Storage

More links on collecting, storing and growing acorns

Growing Your Own Oak Seedlings

Planting Oaks

Collect and plant acorns

Growing Oak Trees From Seed

The following is a link to a list of YouTube videos on collecting and storing acorns.

How to Grow Oak Trees From Acorns

Remember to do a float test, if they float discard them, don't let them lay on in the hot baking sun and completely dry out, sort out ones that are cracked, have holes in them etc.

Look for trees that are prolific and yield consistantly year after year or that deer seek out among others. Watch for young trees that have produced early and bring new genetics in to your area by swapping with friends.

If you wish to start them in pots to transplant later this company has some great products to encourage root growth.

RootMaker System

Big Rock Trees - RootMaker Source

This system can help your acorns go from this

[​IMG]

to this with roots branching evenly in all directions

[​IMG]

18 cell RootMaker trays are ideal for starting and growing oaks and chestnuts for 12-16 weeks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can mix your own soiless mix of perlite, vermiculite and peat or simply purchase a good quality potting mix.

[​IMG]

Many acorns and chestnuts will begin to sprout and may develop extensive root systems even in refrigerated storage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Chestnut roots after winter storage

[​IMG]
    Early to mid march is a great time to start acorns and chestnuts if you have a warm sunny place to do so.

[​IMG]
    and they will begin to sprout within days although there will be stragglers that sprout weeks later.

[​IMG]

3-18

[​IMG]

3-26

[​IMG]

4-2

[​IMG]

4-16

[​IMG]

Fertilizer Use slow release Osmocote fertilizer and/or MiracleGro foliar feed to fertilize young seedlings.

Washed seedling roots show how roots are directed to air openings and air root pruned.

[​IMG]

Root control, direction creates fibrous roots in RootMakers®.

[​IMG]
    Tree seedlings from RootMaker® plastic propagation containers.

[​IMG]
    I will continue to add to this post and encouarage others to add to this thread to give others answers to any questions regarding growing oaks from acorns... ;)

Oak Species

Black Oak

Black Oak- Quercus velutina

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Northern red oak (Quercus rubra)

Red Oaks

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Pin Oak (Quercus palustris)

Pin Oaks

chinkapin oak

Chinquapin Oak (Quercus muehlenbergii)

Dwarf Chinkapin Oak can produce acorns in 3-4 years which makes it very a very attractive oak to consider planting! They are also perhaps the sweetest acorns to be found...

Dwarf Chinkapin Oak seedling sources:

Dwarf Chinkapin Oak — Quercus prinoides Seedling Source

Dwarf Chestnut Oak (Quercus prinoides) does say this...

ALLEGHENY CHINKAPIN

MDC White Oak list

Dwarf Chinkapin Oak (Quercus prinoides) leaves

[​IMG]

From this site: dwarf chinkapin oak

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are some pics of PassThru's DWARF CHINKAPIN OAK and you can see this is more like a shrub then a tree but laden with acorns!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oikos Tree Crops - Dwarf Chinkapin Oak

Morse Nursery - Dwarf Chinkapin Source

LINCOLN-OAKES NURSERIES

Current Nebraska Champion Tree - Oak, Dwarf Chinkapin

[​IMG]

Oak ID Key

True Nature Farm - Dwarf Chinkapin Oak seedlings

RPM Southern Hardwoods

The following pics are of Chinkapin oak Quercus muehlenbergii Engelm. (not dwarf)...pretty tough to tell which is which.

Chinkapin oak

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

swamp white oak Fagaceae Quercus bicolor

Swamp White Oak

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Oak trees commonly hybridize and and often those hybrids grow faster, and produce mast sooner then the parent trees which has led some nurseries to perpetuate these trees, offering acorns and seedlings. Oikos Tree Crops (listed in this thread) is one such nursery offering oaks that may produce in 7-10 years.

White Oak (Quercus alba)

white oak Fagaceae Quercus alba L.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

This is a stand of young white oaks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Concordia Oak is a 3-way cross between a swamp white oak, chinkapin oak and dwarf chinkapin oak.

There is some confusion between another "concordia oak" as mentioned here...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sawtooth Oak (Quercus acutissima)

sawtooth oak Fagaceae Quercus acutissima Carruthers

[​IMG]

Should you fertilize oak trees to increase acorn production?

probably not....read this link...

Increased acorn production

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. letemgrow

letemgrow PMA Member

Direct planting acorns/chestnuts has been a great way for me to get seedlings started with ease.

Here is a white oak from seed I planted 2 falls ago. It is about 2 feet tall already and growing like gang busters!!! Nuts absolutely NEED protection the first year to keep hungry rodents from finding them.

[​IMG]

American Chestnut:

This American Chesnut seed was planted last October and the tree guard pushed down into the ground about 2 inches. This pic was taken on 5-10 and the seedling has already doubled in size since the pic. Talk about something that grows like gang busters!! The American Chestnut does just that.

[​IMG]

4. letemgrow

letemgrow PMA Member

Deer also love to browse the oaks on my property. I did a little test to show protected vs unprotected.

These Northern Reds are literally 10 yards from each other and look at the difference in growth. Pics were taken the same day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. letemgrow

letemgrow PMA Member

Also, be patient when direct planting as it can take them till late may to come up some years.

I still have dwarf chinkapin oaks popping up and they start out looking this this:

[​IMG]

Then end up like this!! :D

[​IMG]

6. Central Iowa

Central Iowa Administrator

I didn't get a direct seeding area sprayed with Oust before the Oaks leafed out what would you recommend I do to eliminate competition at this point? Besides the weeds they are doing great.

7. dbltree

dbltree Super Moderator

Select (clethodim) or Fusilade (fluazifop-P) will control grasses post emergence but broadleaf control at this point might be pretty tough...;)

8. Central Iowa

Central Iowa Administrator

Thanks bud.

9. letemgrow

letemgrow PMA Member

The Concordia oaks seem to be doing well!! Planted this one at my grandparents yard and it sure seems to like this spot!!

[​IMG]

Schburr Oak from Oikos. Really taking off this year after 2 years of not seeing much.

[​IMG]

10. letemgrow

letemgrow PMA Member

The white oaks are going to have quite a few again this year, at least on the trees I think are top notch producers.

White Oak

[​IMG]

This is what the same tree looked like later last year and will be the third year of what I call above average crops.

[​IMG]

Bur Oak

[​IMG]

11. letemgrow

letemgrow PMA Member

My Shumard Oaks are doing very well. They were XL one year old seedlings from the MDC. Already put on over a foot of growth and I think the real key to that was prepping the soil the past year with a couple apps of roundup so there is little weed competition.

[​IMG]

12. Hardwood11

Hardwood11 Well-Known Member

acorns

In Minnesota the DNR nursery is buying acorns this fall. The pay $45 a bushel for bur oak or red oak acorns. Most years we have thousands that we can pick up if I take the time, and if my boys help me. Does anyone know in relation to say a five gallon bucket how many buckets it would take for one bushel?

Any other comparison or measurement?

13. JNRBRONC

JNRBRONC Moderator

I'd guess 2.5 five gallon buckets to the bushel. Just a guess though.

14. dbltree

dbltree Super Moderator

I am clueless on that one but Randy is probably in the ballpark I would say. IA State Nursery also buys their acorns for roughly the same price.

You have to call in on a certain date and they select a very few who get to collect and sell acorns and the whole thing is wrapped up in minutes.;)

15. Hardwood11

Oaks

I noticed on QDMA.com that you can buy BurEnglish hybrids from Lawyer Nursery for a reasonable price. Has anyone planted any? Also, I have a catalog from the Idaho State Nursery and they sell a hybrid burenglish plug for $2.00 a tree. Again, anyone tried these, recommend them?

They are hardy to zone 3, so is should work in MN, you would think they would grow fairly fast in Iowa as well?

16. letemgrow

letemgrow PMA Member

I have two from an IA source growing and they easily grow 2+ feet a year in my area. The ID source sells excellent seedlings as well and I highly recommend them.

17. dbltree

dbltree Super Moderator

They have bur x gambel now I think but I have planted both trees from both Oikos and Idaho. The Idaho trees are cheaper and very easy to plant and almost impossible to kill!

Here's an Idaho BurxGambel planted in a hinge cutting last spring

[​IMG]

Here's a BurXEnglish a few months after it was planted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The older BurxGambels have been repeatedly shredded by deer over the years so I finally got around to protecting them this year.

Of all my hybrids...the Swamp White Oak hybrids have been the fastest growing and earliest producing....:way:

18. Hardwood11

Dbltree: Yes, you are correct it is a burgambel. There are so many varieties, it is confusing. I like the looks the Idaho nursery trees. What do you think of there wild apple tree, a bit off subject, but for $2.00 it looks like it could be mass quantity planting for a future orchard?? I am thinking I might order 25 burgambel oaks and 25 wild apples next spring or more if they have a minimum order.

19. dbltree

dbltree Super Moderator

I believe my friend Walt ordered 5 of those apple trees but beyond that I know nothing about them...might do great and if you have lots of room it surely couldn't hurt to try some...:way:

20. Joey Rott

Joey Rott New Member

Make sure you order early from the Idaho Nursery. They tend to sell out of a lot of their tree's, early.

21. Hardwood11

Idaho State nursery

Joey Rott:

You have planted the Idaho state trees? Do they sell out because they are that much in demand or do they just have limited quantity? Thanks.