Apple/Pear Trees

Discussion in 'Dbltree's corner' started by Outdoor Family, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Outdoor Family

Outdoor Family New Member

Where is a good place to order apple and pear trees for the south central area??? Anyone ever order trees from the National Arbor Day foundation??? Would like to get some ordered for a spring planting...
    Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2010
  2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. dbltree

dbltree Super Moderator

Fruit Tree sources

Apples and pears are just a lot of fun and you can plant a couple every year without breaking the bank and eventually end up with a great attraction! Here's a list of fruit tree sources

Adams County Nursery

Century Farm Orchards

Cummins Nursery

Burnt Ridge Nursery

St. Lawrence Nursery

MILLER NURSERIES

Stark Bro's Nurseries and Orchards Co.

Raintree Nursery

Grandpa's Orchards

Burgess Seed and Plant

Red Fern Farm

Morse Nursery

Edward Fort Nurseries

The Wildlife Group

Vintage Virginia Apples

Boyer Nurseries & Orchards, Inc

Trees of Antiquity

Gurney's Nursery

Arbor Day Foundation

NAFEX Nursery/Supply Source Lists

Tree Selection

Which tree is right for you? Standard, semi-dwarf or dwarf?

Most landowners planting for wildlife prefer semi-dwarf but here are a few links to help you deicde what is best for you.

Guide for Home Orchards

Dwarf versus Semi-Dwarf versus Standard Trees

WHICH APPLES SHOULD I CHOOSE?

All about Apples

It's all about the rootstocks:

Dwarf rootstocks are not as strong as semi or standard but you can fence them and stake them of course.

For best results order trees on M7 or M111 rootstock, they produce a strong, sturdy, freestanding tree that is winter hardy and tolerant of a variety of soil conditions. All apple trees (fruit trees) are grafted to various rootstocks and we need to match the rootstock to the soil/growing conditions in our areas and soil types.

M111 rootstock is a slightly larger rootstock that works well in the heavy clay soils in my area and works much better then dwarf rootstock.

Here's some basic rootstock info from Adams County Nursery

Top 6 Apple Varieties for Whitetails and Wildlife

Honeycrisp:
    Extremely winter hardy to -40F. Bears fruit at a very young age and produces heavy annual crops at 5 years.

Liberty:
    Hardy, vigorous and spurred (fruit buds develop along the shorter lateral branches along the limbs). Liberty blooms early in the season so is susceptible to late season frost. Fruit stays on the tree well after maturity and has very heavy annual bearing habit. Less cold tolerance than Honeycrisp (-20F).

Honeygold:
    Produces a large yellow apple that is highly preferred by deer. Somewhat bi-annual (alternates years of strong and weak crops) if heavy crop years are not hand thinned. Very winter hardy, early producer and holds apples well.

Enterprise:
    Extreme resistance to most major apple diseases. Blooms much later than Liberty and thus is less likely to experience late frost damage.

Jonafree:
    A very firm, scab-resistant variety that tends to be small but bears very well. Cold tolerant to -20F.

Empire:
    Susceptible to scab but serves as a good pollinator. Ripens in mid-October in northern Vermont. The apple remains firm and stays very well on the tree. Not recommended for warmer, humid regions due to its susceptibility to scab

Grimes Golden - Ripens Sept./Oct.

Rome - Ripens Sept./Oct.

Stayman Winesap - Ripens Oct.

Blacktwig - Ripens November

York - Ripens in Oct.

This is a list of Disease Resistant Varieties in order of Ripening (Early to Late) that ACN carries

This list is in order of ripening, early to late

Apple Pollinizers available from ACN

General information on apple varieties:

Apples and More

Apple Varieties

All about apples

Pears
    Adams County Nursery also has pear trees and remember Asian pears tend to mature much later in the fall and are also more disease resistant.

Just make sure you fence them! Apple tree Cages

[​IMG]

I plant most of mine in my backyard...because, well...I hunt in my backyard! :D

Planting and soil preperation

The following link covers most of what you'll need to prepare for your new apple trees.

Planting & Growing Apple Trees

Growing Apple Trees In The Home Garden

Apple tree growing Information

Care of the Mature Backyard Apple Tree

Adams County Nursery - Fruit Tree Planting Guide

Some advice from apple expert Ben from the QDMA forums

Fertilizer and Lime

First off I added lime and fertlizer...lime was $3.60 a bag and 10-10-10 fertilizer was $8.50 (20# bags) at Menards just for a reference. Not a big investment to keep trees healthy and growing.

[​IMG]

I used my tree planting spud to loosen and open up ground around the drip line of the tree.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I used a small coffee can and put about a 1.5 to 2#' of triple 10 around each tree and about 5#'s of pell lime around each tree.

[​IMG]

The lime I scattered in the trench pockets and all over the surface area as well and then raked it in lightly and covered the pockets to bury the fertilizer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fertilizing Tree Fruits

Fertilizing Apple Trees

Fertilizer Stakes

Assorted Fertilizers

Root Feed for fruit Trees

Fertilizing Fruit Trees

Training and staking

Training and Pruning Apple Trees - Cornell Guide 112

Training and Pruning Your Home Orchard

Cotton string comes in handy

[​IMG]

To tie limbs horizontally which strengthens the limb joint so that it won't be so apt to break under the weight of heavy fruit.

I tied square knots to create a loop so that the string won't tighten and girdle a limb

[​IMG]

Leaving the tree looking something like this (NOTE- DO NOT use tubes!! I removed these and replaced with alum. window screen)

[​IMG]

There are many options including using commercial limb spreaders, toothpicks and clothespins all of which can be found in this link on Training and pruning apple trees

I nipped off suckers sprouting up from the base area

[​IMG]

and installed plastic tree protectors and tied the tree to the stake for support. (use fine wire screen instead!!)

[​IMG]

After doing this I was advised that aluminum window screen makes a better guard because it can breath yet protect. Borers get behind the plastic guards and then can kill the tree so I will pick up some screen and use that along with plastic tie's in the future.

A friend stopped by today who had this exact problem last year...borers killed one of his trees after moths got behind the plastic protector and he is also using screen now which enables one to spray insecticide through as well... ;)

Staking the tree for support against wind is important

[​IMG]

1/2 conduit seems to be the best choice using care not to bend it when driving it in.

One needs to remove all double leaders to encourage one central leader and then support it via the conduit or a set of wires running between posts (or trellis of some kind)

I fasten the name tags to the posts so I can remember what is what and keep a record on paper in a file as well.

[​IMG]

Here's what we need to replace the plastic protectors (that encourage apple moths/borers) with...

Aluminum window screen...I bought this 28" for .79 cents a foot and used a foot per tree

[​IMG]

Staple the top shut

[​IMG]

Staple the sides shut as well

[​IMG]

Make sure the bottom is tight to the ground and add stone mulch later to keep down weeds and discourage mice and other pests

[​IMG]

Two 5' posts and 40-48" wire lifted off the ground will protect most trees from bucks or browsing but some may need a taller heavier setup.

[​IMG]

1st year trees

[​IMG]

2nd year trees

[​IMG]

3rd year trees

[​IMG]

Painting

This video explains apple training very well

UMass Fruit Advisor: apple training techniques

Central leader development:

[​IMG]

Pinching apple trees for leader development

Articles on how and when to prune apple trees:

Pruning Apple Trees

Pruning Apple trees

Pruning and Training fruit trees

Great pruning info.

Training and Pruning Apple Trees

All About Caring for Apple Trees

Pruning & Training Apple & Pear Trees

Ben on scoring the leader

Videos on pruning

Fruitwise guide to apple tree pruning-using the saw

Fruitwise guide to pruning-the neglected apple tree

Fruitwise pruning a neglected tree part 2

Fruitwise guide to pruning apple trees-part 1

Fruitwise guide to pruning apple trees part 2

Fruitwise guide to apple tree pruning-sawing large branch

Disease

Many diseases spoil the apple for human consumption but perhaps not for wildlife, still I prefer to plant varieties that are disease resistant.

Disease-Resistant Apple Cultivars

This link includes more info on diseases of apple trees:

Apple & Crabapple Diseases

Fruit Disease links

Cedar Apple Rust is pretty hard to avoid here in Iowa so I try to select for trees that carry some resistance to this problem.

Spectracide Immunox Multi-Purpose Fungicide

Spectracide Immunox Plus Insect & Disease Control

Cedar-Apple Rust

apple cultivar susceptibility to the cedar-apple rust fungus

Cedar-Apple Rust and Related Rust Diseases

CEDAR-APPLE RUST

Fire Blight

Controlling Fire Blight

Insecticides and Fungicides

You can sign up for Apple Pest Reports via email through this link or just open them here:

2009 Apple Pest Report

This link contains a number of questions and answers regarding dealing with apple tree pests.
    Questions on: Apple Insects

SIMPLIFIED HOME ORCHARD SPRAY SCHEDULE

2009 Midwest Tree Fruit Spray Guide

Protecting Backyard Apple Trees from Apple Maggot

Apple and Pear Insects

ISU Apple Insect Control Field Trials

QDMA Apple Spraying Discussion

Orchard Supplies

Woolly Apple Aphid

SpringStar Apple Maggot Traps

This is a comprehensive list of fruit tree insecticides:

Insecticides - A-Z

Controlling Diseases and Insects in Home Fruit Plantings

Fruit Tree answers

Ways to Reduce Pesticide Use

Tree Fruit Production with Organic Farming Methods

Organic fruit tree care

Organic Fruit Tree Sprays

Budding and Grafting

Budding and Grafting

Grafting pictures

Dbltree's Apple/Pear list:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  4. dbltree

dbltree Super Moderator

This past summer was pretty hectic (to put it mildly...;))so I didn't keep up on questions such as these. Only one problem with my wife's recovery is that she went to work on my file cabinet "mess" and now I can't find anything not that I could actually find it before ....

I requested a copy of the trees I ordered but it remains to be seen if they actually send me a copy of my order. Adams County Nursery

This is a list of ACN apple stock for an example...you can order these from other suppliers:

What I look for is ripening dates that will coincide with hunting dates and then look for disease resistant varieties in that time frame.

You can see that combining dates and disease resistance considerably shortens the list...

It also doesn't hurt to think about Pollinators if needed:

Bloom: Early Season

Available Rootstock(s)
    EMLA 26
    EMLA 7
    EMLA 111

Pollination Information
    Chestnut crab is an early blooming variety and can pollinate all other early blooming apple varieties as well as varieties with mid-season bloom times.

Hyslop
    A mid-season blooming crab apple that provides large red fruit 1 to 1-1/2 inch in diameter. Often used for jams and jellies because of its large size, and sometimes added to cider where tannin content is desired. Care must be taken to avoid biennial bearing, which reduces effectiveness as a pollen source. Tree is medium in vigor, precocious, with moderate resistance to fire blight.
    Bloom: Mid Season

Available Rootstock(s)
    BUD 9
    EMLA 26
    EMLA 7

Pollination Information
    Hysolp blooms in mid-season and will pollinate early blooming apple varieties and varieties blooming in the middle of the season.

Indian Summer
    A flowering crab apple pollinizer for the early season bloom. Indian Summer produces abundant pink flowers with viable pollen over an extended period.
    Bloom: Late Season

Available Rootstock(s)
    EMLA 7

Pollination Information
    Indian Summer blooms early in the season and will pollinate all other early blooming varieties.

Manchurian
    Early to mid-season bloom corresponding with Red Delicious. Flowers white and large. Tree is very vigorous and upright.

Available Rootstock(s)
    BUD 9

Pollination Information
    Manchurian crab blooms in early season and will pollinate early blooming apple varieties and varieties blooming in the middle of the season.

Snowdrift
    A mid-season to late blooming variety, often used to pollinize Red Delicious. Bloom is white, flowers small. Fruits are salmon egg sized, yellow with orange cheek. Snowdrift is used to pollinate mid-season apple varieties.

Available Rootstock(s)
    EMLA 26

Spur Winter Banana
    Excellent pollinizer for Red Delicious. Spur-type growth makes tree compact with little maintenance required. Tree begins bearing at an early age. Annual defruiting of tree will optimize return bloom.

Think about rootstock that matches your soil and tree type: Apple Rootstocks

Just a couple that will work in my heavy clay ground:

Quote:
    EMLA 106

Somewhat larger than EMLA 7, the EMLA 106 is better anchored. Resistant to woolly aphids, it seldom rootsuckers, and performs best on dry sites. It is extremely susceptible to collar rot and should not be planted in wet sites or heavy clay soils.
    EMLA 111

A vigorous semi-dwarf, EMLA 111 produces a tree somewhat larger than EMLA 106. Trees are well anchored, resistant to collar rot and woolly aphids. A good selection for heavy, poorly-drained soils.

It's that time of year when we start planning for spring plantings (assuming all your tags are filled... :)) and there are plenty of great nurseries to "shop" for apple and pear trees:

Adams County Nursery

Boyer Nurseries

Stark Nursery

Miller Nusery

Vintage Virginia Apples

Morse Nursery

Red Fern Farm

Raintree Nursery - Asian Pears

Burnt Ridge Nursery - Apples and Pears

Woodstock Nursery

St. Lawrence Nurseries

Cummins Nursery

Oikos Tree crops

If your not confused by all of that...there are at least a "bazillion" varieties to decide from...

All About Apples - Varieties

Apple Cultivars

Apples and More

Pruning Apple Trees

Pruning and Training

More pruning

Spring Cold Impact on Apple Crops

Full size Apple trees vs Dwarf Apple trees

Apple Rootstocks and Spacings

That should keep you busy while I try to figure just what the heck I planted... :)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  5. dbltree

dbltree Super Moderator

Re: Apple/Pear Trees - Planting, Pruning and Spray

Previously in this thread we have shared plenty of places to order apple and pear trees but I thought I would add more info on preparing your site for planting.

The following link covers most of what you'll need to prepare for your new apple trees.
    Growing Apple Trees In The Home Garden

Apple tree growing Information

Care of the Mature Backyard Apple Tree

Adams County Nursery - Fruit Tree Planting Guide

There are a number of links on pruning also a few posts back in this thread but this is a good link on the subject:

Pruning & Training Apple & Pear Trees

Many diseases spoil the apple for human consumption but perhaps not for wildlife, still I prefer to plant varieties that are disease resistant.

This link includes more info on diseases of apple trees:

Apple & Crabapple Diseases

Cedar/Apple rust is pretty hard to avoid here in Iowa so I try to select for trees that carry some resistance to this problem.

Randy located this link on Cedar-Apple Rust but more important it includes a link to disease resistant varieties.

apple cultivar susceptibility to the cedar-apple rust fungus

There are so many disease resistant varieties to choose from such as this list from Adams County Nursery

Liberty apples are on that is also very disease resistant but the key is to find disease resistant apple trees that will ripen in late fall. Which narrows the field a bit.

Several of us have been discussing pooling a spring order at Adams Co. Nursery because there is a significant price drop once you order 25 trees and even more at 100 trees.

It's something to think about before you place an order for apple trees. Perhaps this thread would be a good place to mention if your interested in combining an order.

ACN Price Sheet

Rather then pay $25-30 a tree combining an order can drop the price to $10-14 a tree.
    ACN also has pear trees and remember Asian pears tend to mature much later in the fall and are also more disease resistant.

ACN Pear Tree Varieties

The Adams Co. folks have been excellent to deal with and a great many on the QDMA site have been very satisfied with ACN service and products.

This link is a month by month guide to caring for and preparing for your fruit trees as well.

Fruit Tree Growing Tips

Of course you can fall plant bare root trees once trees become dormant most likely in November and again as soon as they can be shipped and planted in the spring.

Balled or potted trees can be planted anytime and fall is also a great time to plant and often there are sales at places like Earl May and Menards.

Insecticides and Fungicides
    This link contains a number of questions and answers regarding dealing with apple tree pests.
    Questions on: Apple Insects

Quote:
    Q: For many years, we have had an abundance of apples with worms in them. This makes the apples inedible. What should we be doing to get rid of the worms? (Mooreton, N.D.)

A: Spray using an insecticide, such as Sevin, at blossom drop and again in 10 to 14 days. Spraying two more times after that should do the trick. You can try pheromone traps, if you can locate them. Put two or three traps in the larger trees. Picking up the apples that drop to the ground in the fall goes a long way in breaking the infestation cycle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: I know this might sound stupid but when you say "mock apples" do you mean just any old fake apple or is there something called mock apples that are made for this purpose? I can't imagine why a maggot would get stuck on a plastic apple! (McClusky, N.D.)

A: They do sell apples, plastic or otherwise, that are covered with a tangle-foot type of material. The apples may contain pheromone that attracts the female adult insect. The insects die of dehydration after being trapped. You can also get the sex pheromone traps that attract the males into thinking there is a female within. It’s nasty to the insect but it works and is better than spraying a lot of indiscriminate insecticides.

Protecting Backyard Apple Trees from Apple Maggot

Apple and Pear Insects

ISU Apple Insect Control Field Trials

Woolly Apple Aphid

Quote:
    Insecticides used to control woolly apple aphid in commercial orchards are dimethoate (Cygon), endosulfan (Thiodan), chlorpyriphos (Lorsban), or methyl parathion (Penncap-M). Home gardeners can use diazinon or insecticidal soap.

Woolly apple aphid infestations on rootstocks cannot be controlled by insecticides

SpringStar Apple Maggot Traps

This is a comprehensive list of fruit tree insecticides:

Insecticides - A-Z

Controlling Diseases and Insects in Home Fruit Plantings

Fruit Tree answers

Ways to Reduce Pesticide Use

Tree Fruit Production with Organic Farming Methods

Organic fruit tree care

Organic Fruit Tree Sprays

Root Feed for fruit Trees

Fertilizing Fruit Trees

Fertilizing Tree Fruits

Fertilizing Apple Trees

Fertilizer Stakes

Assorted Fertilizers

6. letemgrow

letemgrow PMA Member

Here are some pics of what I do at the base of apple trees to keep the girdlers at bay.
    I used tree pro's, cut them down in 1/2 after I took them off other trees that had grown out of the tubes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. dbltree

dbltree Super Moderator

Geeish..at least I got one right..

Here are some grafting videos:

Grafting Fruit Trees

Fruitwise apple tree grafting, the saddle graft

Saddle graft apple tree-5 months after

Down To Earth - Grafting Fruit Trees

Freedom Tree Farms - Budding and Grafting

Fruit tree grafting, budding and more - Benji Woodman-pt1

Fruit tree grafting, budding and more - Benji Woodman-pt2

Fruit tree grafting, budding and more - Benji Woodman-pt3

I haven't watched all of them yet...so hopefully they are actually about "grafting"...

8. dbltree

dbltree Super Moderator

yes...I forgot to mention that...

I suspect the farther south the worse the problems but I can't say for sure. There are many opinions on all of this "apple" stuff and I am by no means an expert...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  9. letemgrow

letemgrow PMA Member

I am going to make sure and keep a 4 foot cirlce killed around the apple trees and use a low screen/tree tube at the base of the apple trees with poison in them for anything that dares to enter. I can tell so far that the lower the tube to the ground the less rodents will use it. I only had one casualty this past winter, to an american chestnut (the best one). I used the tallest tube on it about 2 feet tall while the rest were not touched on 12-18" tubes.

The screen would be the easiest by far though!!!

10. dbltree

dbltree Super Moderator

Douds Lumber...

They have everything including the kitchen sink!

I suspect Menards might have it cheaper but I'd have to burn 30 bucks worth of fuel to get there and back...

Keeping all the grass/growth away from any tree goes a long way in solving rodent predation problems that's for sure...

2009 Midwest Tree Fruit Spray Guide

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  11. dbltree

dbltree Super Moderator

My apple and pear trees will be arriving in the next week or two so I took advantage of the very wet soil conditions to get the holes "pre-dug"...;)

[​IMG]

Ok...so I took advantage of the cheap help too...

[​IMG]

I have a pile of black dirt I have hauled in and continually add compost too that I will use for fill when the trees arrive. I like to add peat moss and stir it in with my rear tine tiller to make a nice nutrient rich mix that has good moisture retention.

[​IMG]

I added pell lime to the soil around the holes and will stir some into top soil "cocktail" as well.

Looking forward to getting them in the ground soon!

12. dbltree

dbltree Super Moderator

I wanted to amend my clay soil and give my new apple and pear trees a better chance at flourising rather then just surviving so I bought some sphagnum peat moss and tops soil and added it to the black clay loam I had hauled into my compost pile and "stirred it all up good"! :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Made a nice light loamy, moisture retaining mix to fill in the holes with!
    [​IMG]
    My Century Farm Orchard trees arrived in early April while I was at work so my son heeled them in and erected a fence around them to keep the rabbits out (did I mention I love my son... ;) )
    [​IMG]

13. dbltree

dbltree Super Moderator

Shortly therafter we commenced to planting, making sure to keep the graft union above the soil surface

[​IMG]

The "whips" don't look like much right now and I need to "work" on them a bit and will share pics later...

[​IMG]

We slipped on the window screen on, stapled it closed and watered each tree.

[​IMG]

and I also stapled the name tags to the screen for now

[​IMG]

14. dbltree

dbltree Super Moderator

Looked something like this when we got done
    [​IMG]
    We added 10 apple trees and 2 pear trees to our collection and three more asian pears have yet to arrive. These trees are in my yard but keep in mind that every deer traveling across our farm does so within "yards" of our yard...so why drag the trees to the back 40? ;)

15. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

What you all prefer for mulching? Do you get a load of bark?
    *I had done one method that was NOT recommended but had great success- old hay bales- I layered the areas around tree (killed with round-up) with hay and it ended up laying flat as a pancake later. NOT recommended because of mice and rabbits and all that finding homes BUT in this instance, I was in a hurry and thought I'd try it (a few years ago).
    I'll FOR SURE be doing that screen stappling, maybe if I do that I could do the free hay again since I am doing the screens BUT what's your thoughts and advice on how you approach any kind of mulching??

**Also, I sprayed some Oust on some trees a couple years ago, the forester friend had mixed it and it may have been too strong and I made the mistake of spraying around fresh planted apple trees- DEAD as can be in about a month (yes, that is what did it, not a disease or other chemicals in sprayer- been through it all). Just in case, just to be safe, don't make my mistake- just use round-up and mulch those babies!

16. dbltree

dbltree Super Moderator

The safest mulch is crushed limestone or almost any kind of small stone such as the decorative stone you buy in bags at Wally Mart. Limestone of course is cheaper but this elminates the mice and such burrowing under the mulch.

Certainly any kind of typical wood mulch or old hay will hold down weeds and conserve moisture but be careful not to let it get to close to the tree trunk as it also is a great place for all kinds of bugs that like both mulch and apple trees...;)

I like to use a combination of limestone around the trunk and I kind of bury the window screen into it and then wood mulch a foot or so away in as big a radius as one wants.

Oust is potent stuff!! I think it might be fine at low doses around estabilished trees but mulch is the safest or a herbicide like Surflan which is a very safe residual. Thanks for the warning about the Oust Skip...:)

17. letemgrow

letemgrow PMA Member

looking good Paul!!!! A couple of the century farm apple trees that I planted last fall already had blooms on them!!! The Hughes had over 20 so I plucked them off so the tree puts on more growth instead of apples this young.

18. Sligh1

Where do you buy the stone at a cost effective price?
    *I have about 140 apple and pear trees. Thanks!!!

19. dbltree

dbltree Super Moderator

Douds Stone...I usually use the 3/4 stone but I reckon it doesn't matter 1" on down.

You can take a pickup or trailer down or have a load hauled in.

Call Perry Louth RPS trucking 319-498-4224

or

Douds Stone 641-936-4331 ...most likely talk to Vicki Smith and just ask which quarry to go to.

They have pea rock at the sand quarry at Eldon for instance and limestone in all sizes at the other quarrys. You just pull on the scale and weigh you truck/trailer, go load up and then re-weigh and pay.

or call Perry and he'll send you a bill...;)

20. Sligh1

Any of you ever try those black roll out matting that is used like a mulch- sometimes folks mulch over the black mats.

I have a few apple trees it's going to be really far and hard to get stone, etc back there. What's your opinion/experiences of only putting down the black matting and staking it down- mine would be BEHIND a giant 8' fence so nothing could mess the mats up. What do you think of the mats, staking them down and using those only in this instance??

21. letemgrow

letemgrow PMA Member

Skip,

I would think the black matting may encourage rodents to hang out there personally. In that situation I would just spray with roundup and keep the area open.