Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bowfishing?

B

big buck 184

I was just curious if any of you guys or gals do any bowfishing? The season is coming up pretty soon. Thought I might change things up here a little bit. Any good storys (all storys are good). Thanks Ryan

One of my more memerable bowfishing stories went like this. The water was very high that spring and I was shooting carp from a road ditch next to a truck stop along I-80. An older gentleman came over to me and started asking questions. Things like how low do you aim?, Do you hit most you shoot at?, etc. I was having a nice talk with the guy when about a 5 lb. carp made a wake about 10 yds. away. In one motion I drew and released as the guy watched. The water exploded and to my supprise the arrow went through the 5 pounder right into about a 10 lb. I hauled in both as the guy watched in total astonishment. He asked, Do you do that often? I replied with a wink, all the time! And that's how legends are made! lol!

About 6 years ago I went to a friend's 7 acre lake. I took a Zebco 808 and mounted it on a special stabilizer (made for mounting reels). Bought some fiberglass arrows and went fishing. The bow I used was a 1986 model Martin Warthog, wood laminated compound.

I put some black braided 25 pound line on and was standing in a jon boat guiding a trolling motor with my knee. I saw a big grass carp's dorsal fin sticking out of the water by shore. I drew back and let it fly, the water erupted everywhere, the fish took off splashing, flipping and snap! My line broke. There must have been 12 fish all around the one I shot at and didn't see them. That's why the water in a 40 foot circle exploded when I shot! I shot a few more times. Once I forgot to push the cast button on the 808, it sounded like a rifle going off. The arrow took off like there was no line attached. That scared me! I went home more excited than before I started.

The next weekend I went back only this time I had some 84 lb. white braided line and more arrows. With this line I made damn sure I pushed the reel button! I shot one in first try again. Same thing the water exploded but this time the fish actually tugged me around in the boat. I suppose I went 75 yards before I tired him and pulled him into the boat. Then he started flipping around, you want to see danger, stay clear of a 20 pound grass carp jumping around with a pointed arrow sticking out of him. Filleted it out and after dipping it in fish crumbs fried it in oil. Tasted just like you think it would, algae! But the meat pieces were big and didn't have all the tiny bones a regular carp has.

After a few more trips I concluded the proper arrow setup is a solid fiberglass with those Muzzy wire cable kits. And painted the ends of all arrows bright orange.

The actually fishing is easy, I just slowly trolled around the lake's edge. The grass carp were next to shore sucking on grasses, sometimes with their whole head out of the water. You get one good shot and the fish in that area scatter. Then you troll further and see another group. It would take me about 90 minutes to troll this lake. Then I was done for a few hours waiting for the fish to come back. I shot three that summer that I recovered, the broken line one surfaced a week later, no arrow in it. They were all 23-27 inches and I guess about 20 pounds, nice hogs.

Someone suggested chumming them with old cherry tomatoes or kernal corn, too help get them back sooner. But I haven't been out since.

I have an online video of me releasing an arrow and missing one, it looks like I hit but I missed. You can see the water exploding, pretty cool. The AVI file is 10mb and I only uploaded it once, took about 1 hour!

It is alot of fun. I have never gone out into backwaters for gar or river carp. I always shot fish on surface so I didn't have to worry about the sunlight refraction angle. Not sure if I know what it is, but if fish is 24 inches under water you aim lower than it appears or something.

I like shooting gar they are more of a challenge cause they are so narrow. One thing you might look for is a V shape in the water. It is normally a fairly large fish swimming under the water. Aim in front of him and fairly deep and you might hit him.

Once I was shooting the ol buglemouth up near muskrat slough in, I think, Jones County when I shot down at one fish and pulled up 3!

I was just wondering if anybody could help me and direct me to a decent place on the Coralville reservoir? I just moved out here last summer. I assume anywhere the water is shallow but that's everywhere. =) Any little tip from a local would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Where and how much are those special reel mount stabalizers. I think i'm gonna try shouting some carp and gar.

You can get an "Anchor" reel seat from Muzzy for $18.00 but you have to use a Zebco Reel. I would recomend that you use a Retriever Reel from Muzzy. They are just awesome. They will run you about $60.00 but well worth it. Go to www.badtothebone.com if you would like to look at them and their prices.

Cityhick87, I saw a couple of those bow fishing stabilizers on e-bay last night. It may be worth looking at.

I've been thinking about bowfishing for a while now, and after reading some of these posts, I don't want to wait another season. I know the basic gear, but I really don't know how to go about finding the fish. What kind of places should I look for? Can I do it from land? Basically any advice to help a beginner would be appreciated.

MadisonB&C

Spring time is a good time of year. If you know there is carp in the lake, then look in the sallow parts of the lake or small river. In late spring, the carp will start working on top of the water, or they'll tail. Which means they rise to the surface to fead, and as they go back down, there tail sticks a few inches out of the water. If the water is fairly clear, you can see them just cruising around looking for moss, or other aquatic plants that are near the surface. You can walk along the bank, but if u do, walk slow! Carp are known to have the best senses of any fresh water fish. There are very wairy! Remember you can only shoot carp, gar, and other fish related to it!
Good luck!

MadisonB&C
Try looking for an off run from the Des Moines River or a creek that has good running water. The carp spawn around late May or early June. When they spawn the stay up by the banks and roll. You can see them plain as day. After the spawn you can still shoot them cause they will be feeding. You will see their mouths sucking on the top. Remember to aim low. It is a blast, once you shoot at a fish whether you hit it or not you will be stuck for good. Once I started I could not put my bow down. I was out there before work and after. Good luck and have fun.

[This message has been edited by big buck 184 (edited 03-13-2002).]

What size(pound) and style (recurve/compound) do you use? I'm afraid to use my 70 pound compound cause my arrow would bury itself in the mud. I've used and probably still will use my old Bear Grizzly.

The 'Bonker

hey does the good old fishing line tied to the bow with a lot of length work? How do u attach the line to the arrow?

citychick

muzzy makes a super nice cable thingy that runs the length of the arrow and through a barrel swivel. the barrel swivel then is tied to your nylon string which is on your bow reel, works like magic! as long as the cable is tight and the string isn't looped around your reel you'll be in business!

bonker-

i use a 55# recurve and that thing'll bury into the mud or grass depending if it's a flooded road ditch or normal bank. it's inevitable that you'll stick the thing deep a few times. just watch out for logs that pretend to be gar, that sucks.
smile.gif

The "Good Ole Fishing Line" works but when you shoot a fish and you start pulling it in the line will cut your hands especially if its a big one. The nylon works better because its thicker.

Ok is there any ghetto way to attach a reel to ur bow without buying the special setup?

[This message has been edited by big buck 184 (edited 03-16-2002).]

cityhick87

The first time I every went bowfishing I had an old coffee can duct taped to my bow. I just wrapped the string around the can. It worked fairly well but some times I would get the string caught on the can and it would cut my line sending my arrow out to sea. This might work for you or give you some ideas.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by big buck 184:
MadisonB&C
Try looking for an off run from the Des Moines River or a creek that has good running water. The carp spawn around late May or early June. When they spawn the stay up by the banks and roll. You can see them plain as day. After the spawn you can still shoot them cause they will be feeding. You will see their mouths sucking on the top. Remember to aim low. It is a blast, once you shoot at a fish whether you hit it or not you will be stuck for good. Once I started I could not put my bow down. I was out there before work and after. Good luck and have fun.

[This message has been edited by big buck 184 (edited 03-13-2002).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Top Bottom