Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cereal Grains and cover crops

Not grasping why you would want to do this? As far as "how", any broadcast type spreader will do the job. I just did both into some tilled red clover but ran a drag over it after. Is the clover spotty enough that the seed will find dirt? If the rye finds dirt and gets some moisture, it will do OK. Not sure how the Austrian peas do broadcast on top of the dirt.

I really don't mean to be a smart "ash", but there is a TON of great info here in Dbltree's Corner. Some might work for you, some maybe not. Read through some of it and come up with a plan for what you might somewant to do in your area. A lot depends on how much ground we're talking about, how big is your food plot, how much time can you put into it, what's around it, what crops are in the vicinity and what do you want to gain from the plot??? Not to mention, what equipment do you have at your disposal? Then we may be able to answer your questions on what to do. As I tried (tactfully?) to inquire, in your previous post, why do you want to change a "standing established clover plot" and where do you want to go with it??? Happy to try to help out, but you gotta help some too...

I don't have a clover plot established in this particular half acre plot. It's a new plot so I was gunna try a late season plot and turn into clover. Then I was thinking of broadcasting over clover in future years. Just trying to figure out my best route without tearing out and putting in new all the time.

Broadcasting into clover is probably the hardest of any example to have success. Clover creates a carpet through stolon growth & smothers competition. Clover is a cool season legume so it's green well into the fall. So- no- not a good way to go. Peas don't broadcast especially well. Rye, brassicas & others do. Ur best shot at broadcasting into clover is to hit it hard with roundup to set it back and try. I'd prefer discing some if possible.

"broadcasting into clover is to hit it hard with roundup to set it back and try. I'd prefer discing some if possible."

Did this on two plots this year...did not want to take all clover out in case we had a drought...burned and disked two half plots... perfect result

I always leave 10-20% of my best clover or clover that's in erodible locations. Great idea. Goal is to have 3-4 food sources per area.

Lets just be honest here, I don't have a clue what I'm doing.
I planted oats and peas on August 19th this year. Both are about 2-2.5 ft tall. I guess I thought I'd actually have pods with something in them come fall but I guess not??

Late summer, or early fall, planted peas will be gobbled down WAY TOO much by the deer herds for there ever to be much in the way of pods. However, if you have 2'+ tall plants you are doing way better than I have ever seen.

So you may get some pods there, but not too many I suspect. I have never seen very pods on my peas...they don't get the chance.

Daver said:
Late summer, or early fall, planted peas will be gobbled down WAY TOO much by the deer herds for there ever to be much in the way of pods. However, if you have 2'+ tall plants you are doing way better than I have ever seen.

So you may get some pods there, but not too many I suspect. I have never seen very pods on my peas...they don't get the chance.

I didn't even consider browse. Plot is over an acre and the camera I have on it only covers a corner so I don't have a good idea on how it's being used. There are beds in it so maybe more use than what I think. But then again, if everything is so tall and healthy maybe there is not much use. Trial and error

For a couple years I thought that my forage peas just weren't coming up. Then I realized the deer were selectively mowing them off (just like they did in the wife's garden before I got it fenced). ;) Have never seen them get to blossoms/pods.

I have always added winter peas to my doubletree mix but this year I used sunflowers instead. Really starting to eat the leaves now.
sun 2.jpg

For a couple years I thought that my forage peas just weren't coming up. Then I realized the deer were selectively mowing them off (just like they did in the wife's garden before I got it fenced). ;) Have never seen them get to blossoms/pods.

Good point ^^...I didn't think to mention this before, but your comment reminded me...I have watched deer right below my stand selectively eat pea plants and not the rest of "the mix". Paul used to call peas the "ice cream" of his recommended mix and I agree with that. They will get on the peas first and work them until there aren't any left.

I have always added winter peas to my doubletree mix but this year I used sunflowers instead. Really starting to eat the leaves now.

Interesting...I would really be curious to see how well you think that worked out come next spring. Would sunflowers germinate/re-germinate next spring? Does using sunflowers v. peas change your fertilizer input costs?

Since peas are fairly expensive to plant, I often plant a lower rate just to stretch the food plot dollars. I know the deer love them, but they do boost the costs up.

Might be just my deer. They graze them alot when I plant sunflowers in the spring. These won't germinate next spring. Annual. They are cheaper and I had them on hand to get rid of. I still just put min. fertilizer on after the first time heavy application.

I look at this thread once or twice a year. The information here is as good as it gets for plotters. I have been doing this rotation in Upper Michigan for a few years now and it is by far the best food plot for year round attraction I have ever seen.
So, last week I tilled under last years brassica strip for the berseem/oat planting. Seeded the oats at 50# per acre and clover at 10 pounds per acre. The soil is not the best so I added some buckwheat and 50 pounds of forage peas.
In an experiment, on another part I planed sunn hemp, Tyrone beans and buck wheat. This is a more sandy type soil and needs a lot of organic matter built up. Both plantings will be tilled under for the grain/radishred clover in August.
Interested to see the results.

Top Bottom