Cereal Grains and cover crops

Discussion in 'Dbltree's corner' started by dbltree, Aug 25, 2006.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. northcedar

northcedar Active Member

Good plan. Looks like everyone is doing what they can to make something happen.

How long can cereal rye keep decent germ sitting in a cool, dry basement? Looks like the bags I have in the warehouse were bagged in '16 and '17. Assuming it's good to go, and I know I can do a paper towel test, but also thinking of spreading before tomorrow's rain chance.

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

Probably be fine. U lost some over that time. How much I don’t know without germ test like u said. Spread thick. Keep eye on it and spread with fresh seed if it’s sparse.

northcedar likes this.
  4. deerhunter93

deerhunter93 Well-Known Member

Over the last few weeks I have sprayed and mowed a 1/2 acre spot to turn into a plot. It is in a little bit lower area but I wouldn't call it a creek bottom and gets full sun. I had planned to burn here in the near future and seed rye/clover. It looks like one chance of rain early next week then nothing in the next 10 day (50/50 chance the weather people have that right anyway). Would you guys recommend I throw seed down and hope to get some rain early next week or wait until we have more or better chances of rain even if that means waiting until the middle or later part of September?

5. LoessHillsArcher

LoessHillsArcher Well-Known Member

For what it is worth Drew, I'm throwing seed down this weekend Drew. Our forecast looks similar... let's just pray we catch some surprise showers!

EatSleepHunt likes this.
  6. risto2351

risto2351 Active Member

In doing rye, oats, peas, radishes and clover how important are the radishes? With my turnips/radishes close by I don't see any advantage having them. I also don't think they will get very big to actually make a difference? Thoughts?

7. Daver

Daver PMA Member

I have done it both ways, if you do include the radishes, you will get some decent productivity/attraction from them in my experience, but they aren't a deal breaker to me. One thing I always value about radishes is that they burrow into the soil enough that they leave "channels" for air/water to penetrate over the winter and help to aerate the soil. This helps prevent soil compaction IMO.

The deer will go for the tops readily even if you don't get giant bulbs by planting at this time.

Tim Hull and Sligh1 like this.
  8. risto2351

risto2351 Active Member

Thanks Daver,
    I did a good plowing this year so soil compaction isn't an issue now but them eating the tops is an added bonus. Now we just need rain after I plant this weekend.

Sligh1 and Daver like this.
  9. risto2351

risto2351 Active Member

Well the rye, oats and peas are in and rain is plentiful. Only casualty is I didn’t check my bag early enough and Welters sent me someone else’s order. I didn’t get my clover and turnips. So scratch them and frost seed in spring or reorder and put down in a week or two?

10. Daver

Daver PMA Member

Two weeks from now would be too late to mess with turnips IMO. But...what do you want from your clover? Fall planted clover is ideal IMO for the next year. While frost seeding is fine, you would be well ahead next spring to seed the clover this fall. Sow the clover with some "nurse" rye yet this fall and you will still have some benefit from the rye this year and the clover will be perfect under the regrowing rye next spring.

Sligh1 likes this.
  11. Sligh1

My award winning beans!!!! I know- it’s a shame I’m not getting rich combining these!!! Pretty clean and weed free... drilled the Dbltree mix right over em & with forecasted rain coming- should go from failure to fantastic.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbohn likes this.
  12. Sligh1

Here’s a few days post rain - same field as above pic. Clearly we expect to see oats bounce up first. Peas, rye, etc are germinated & lil tiny clovers in there too. About 2-3 more weeks and this should be filled in and a thick/lush buffet. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbohn likes this.