Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cross Bows in Iowa....? I hope not

I agree with you all on this one. Hunting a large property with little human pressure would be great. I did it once. I actually paid for a hunt in S Dakota on a 3,000 acre cattle ranch just to see what it would be like. They took a few rifle hunters, but I was their very first, mind you,,Bow Hunter! I could not believe the tameness of the deer. They actually put a tree stand up for me at mid day, with the truck and left the extension ladder laying on the ground once I was in the tree. Deer paraded by all afternoon, without notice. Does with fawns, old does, bucks,,gave the fresh cut pine and ladder no mind. It was unbelieveable! Wish we could all afford that kind of hunting, but most can't. Still don't think keeping out another bow will have much of an impact. It is the way things go. Good ole days with no outfitters,,easy access,,few bow hunters,,is gone. Heck,,I envy guys with a 100 acres. I only have 40. Surrounded by a lot of hunting pressure. But I am happy with what I have. I see 15 deer in 3 wks, but I know there are guys that don't own any acreage, so I am glad for what I have!

Just to clarify, you use both archery equipment and a crossbow every year or just that you have used archery equipment in the past and now use a crossbow?

I have hunted with both. I currently hunt with a compound. I broke my back in 2001 so on my good days I may be able to use a ladder stand. On my bad days when my nerves and knees act up I have to ground hunt. Haven't used a crossbow in 5 years.

Like I read on someone else's post gaining another 20 yards or so of range would have saved me a lot of frustration over the years. I have passed on a lot of bucks due to range and thought to myself " I wish I could have used my shotgun" . A crossbow would be one step closer to that. I guarantee that I would have at least 4 more nice bucks on the wall.

Let's leave the extra range advantage for a non - rut season. Maybe the first two weeks of October and then late muzzle timeframe???

Like I read on someone else's post gaining another 20 yards or so of range would have saved me a lot of frustration over the years. I have passed on a lot of bucks due to range and thought to myself " I wish I could have used my shotgun" . A crossbow would be one step closer to that. I guarantee that I would have at least 4 more nice bucks on the wall.

Let's leave the extra range advantage for a non - rut season. Maybe the first two weeks of October and then late muzzle timeframe???

I believe after the numbers the dnr seen this year and the revenue from the extra archery tags sold we will see crossbows allowed during all of archery season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxcLZXkv43c
The last shot disproves the penetration issue at distance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jv7kVexX3g
Disproves there is no advantage at longer distances with a crossbow at longer distance. I would take the grouping in the video and kill deer with it. Especially if I got on with my tinkering ways and messed with the FOC and weight of the bolt, I am pretty confident that I could get a pass through at 100yds, which is 50 more than I feel comfortable at shooting my bow with.

I googled "100 yd crossbow penetration" to find these videos.

Crossbows are going to add numbers of hunters. This will be good for overall numbers on paper, but I think it will be bad for the deer herd, access and quality hunts. I already hike way farther than a lot of people to get away from the crowds and where I can not hear the sounds of the modern human world. Some of these places I can go no farther. I have no issues with someone that is disabled to be able to use a crossbow during Archery season (which "crossbow" never appeared in any definitions of archery that I looked up).

As far as Iowa being a fragile resource I completely agree with that. Deer can rebound fairly quickly, if there is less hunting pressure, habitat is quality and sufficient in area. Iowa has limited area that is quality habitat, not including cities and town areas. If there was a larger percentage of the state that was in quality habitat, then there would be more areas to hunt and more deer to harvest. Land only has a limited carrying capacity for wildlife, farming and humans. Therefore with less acreage in habitat and more in human consumption (farming practices, housing, industry) the higher demand for places to hunt will mean less and smaller tracts for everyone to hunt. Which also means more people cheating to get their trophy, trashing areas with supplies that are used up or they are to lazy to carry out. As the pie gets divided into smaller and smaller pieces there will come a time where the governments will say that it is a public safety issue for so many people to hunt. Then we will end up with a European system for hunting. Only the elite, those with money and willing to take endless hours of training and proficiency tests. Oh, and with that comes the responsibility of keeping populations in balance, so that other citizens property is not damaged, if it is you are responsible for it.

Best use for a crossbow ever:

giphy.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxcLZXkv43c
The last shot disproves the penetration issue at distance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jv7kVexX3g

Crossbows are going to add numbers of hunters. This will be good for overall numbers on paper, but I think it will be bad for the deer herd, access and quality hunts. I already hike way farther than a lot of people to get away from the crowds and where I can not hear the sounds of the modern human world. Some of these places I can go no farther. I have no issues with someone that is disabled to be able to use a crossbow during Archery season (which "crossbow" never appeared in any definitions of archery that I looked up).

As far as Iowa being a fragile resource I completely agree with that. Deer can rebound fairly quickly, if there is less hunting pressure, habitat is quality and sufficient in area. Iowa has limited area that is quality habitat, not including cities and town areas. If there was a larger percentage of the state that was in quality habitat, then there would be more areas to hunt and more deer to harvest. Land only has a limited carrying capacity for wildlife, farming and humans. Therefore with less acreage in habitat and more in human consumption (farming practices, housing, industry) the higher demand for places to hunt will mean less and smaller tracts for everyone to hunt. Which also means more people cheating to get their trophy, trashing areas with supplies that are used up or they are to lazy to carry out. As the pie gets divided into smaller and smaller pieces there will come a time where the governments will say that it is a public safety issue for so many people to hunt. Then we will end up with a European system for hunting. Only the elite, those with money and willing to take endless hours of training and proficiency tests. Oh, and with that comes the responsibility of keeping populations in balance, so that other citizens property is not damaged, if it is you are responsible for it.

I agree. These two weapons are completely different and anyone who says there's no advantages of a crossbow over a compound is kidding themselves. This coming from someone that could profit greatly from crossbows. I'd rather keep the quality of hunting we have.

no more

I have no problem with a disabled hunter being "allowed" to use a crossbow...but without continuing to debate the "effective kill range" of compounds vs. crossbow. It is definitely perceived by the average hunter out here that crossbows are more like a gun, easier to shoot, and have a longer range. Not sure if I agree, but this perception will be the reality and this will bring more hunters. I ve already had enough of the hunting masses this last two weeks. Do you guys really want to bring more of the orange armies to this sport? I will have to agree with Sligh on this one...I AM selfish also I guess. Don t want a bunch more weekend warriors out during bow season. Most of the serious bow hunters I know understand management, shot placement, etc better than than most of the shotgun hunters and really care about managing our herd. We are getting the train back on the right track...let's not derail it again because of the lobbyists and politicians trying to "develop a new market" at all of our expense!

I was gonna leave this topic but keep reading another post on it. Golly some people not only seem biased against CrossBow users, but also have little use for gun hunters. If your form of hunting is pushing and blasting, you would not be much tempted to do--- Deer movement research, find good spots for stands,,take care of your scent, expect long sits without seeing much, remain quiet in the woods, expect close range shots at deer. All things involved in bow hunting,,,OH,,wait,,,those things are also required if you hunt with a crossbow! Who knew?

I don't think it matters wether you are longbow,compound or crossbow. I don't see any reason for extra seasons plenty room for all.

Compound bows are already extremely easy to shoot and unbelievably accurate, I can imagine while an able bodied individual would need any more "technology" than we already have available to us for "archery season." Again, for able bodied people, I think crossbows are just one more unnecessary shortcut that we don't need. We are already far enough removed from what "archery" once was.

I could see the extreme argument that even compounds are getting too lethal as of late...

Why try to ruin a good thing to get more hunters in the woods? If the DNR needs more money, than add another $1 to our tags and move on. Not to mention, we all no that we don't need any extra deer killed.

I sell several crossbows a year. We assemble them, mount the scope and then sight in for the customer before they come get it. It usually takes me 2 or 3 shots to get the scope zeroed for the bullseye at 20 yards. Typically the customer comes to get it, I show them how to cock it and they shoot it offhand at 20 yards. Rarely do I ever have anyone miss a 3" bullseye with their very first shot with crossbow. Amazingly accurate and easy to shoot, no where near the skill, practice or experience needed to shoot it accurately that a compound takes and light years from the skill and practice required to shoot traditional.

In my opinion, anyone stating that a crossbow doesn't give you an advantage either is not knowledgeable about both methods or has an agenda to push - most likely the latter.

I think it is only a matter of time before the heavy push comes to Iowa to allow crossbows into regular archery season. The crossbow lobby is taking it state by state as they don't have the time or resources to hit them all at once. Iowa has one of the best lobbying groups for protecting your state hunting rights in the nation, it is called the Iowa Bowhunters Association Want to help? join the IBA.

Last edited:
The crossbow is an ancient weapon, except for the scopes they put on em, and the cames to make some faster,,still pretty much the same old weapon. Shooting a longbow definitely more practice and skill involved. Compound gadgets,,trigger releases, making the Vertical bow easier and easier. 70 to 80 lb let offs,,alot easier to hold. Blk powder weapons went the same way. Again,,. If a bow hunter chooses to use a crossbow, how will he harvest more animals.? You can only get the same amount of permits. Possibly less deer will be wounded or lost? Best thing about crossbows, ya don't have to be high in a tree, to cover movement. I just don't care for the attitude of,,,We got our nice season,,don't let anyone else in it. The anti people will not change. Supposed "Purists" will always feel superior. A bow hunter is still a bow hunter. A bow and an arrow. Firearms are firearms. To be truly superior, we should use what Native Americans used. Let us continue to look down our nose at the firearm deer hunter,,and the crossbow deer hunter.

Man, I wish I could make the pro-crossbow folks go hunt the state of Michigan or Pennsylvania for a season. Earl is right about other states, most have found a million ways to make hunting suck and have those folks flock to states like Iowa. Why do we constantly want to do things that hurt the resource vs helping it? I mean, the likelihood we'd ever see a bill, for example, that would reduce our buck harvest to one buck VS a bill that would allow crossbows during archery is insane - we will likely never see the 1st example, likely will see the crossbow fight though. Almost all due to special interests, politicians & $. Before you jump on the crossbow wagon, go spend a season in MI or PA, it's an absolute joke, sorry, it is.

Crossbows made those states suck?

Crossbows made those states suck?

Well, they didn't help. I'd say, what a person would come away with from hunting MI & PA is..... Way to many hunters, so many bad regs on the books and wildly liberal seasons that have "destroyed" the good hunting there. There's no doubt you all would go there (after hunting here) and go "oh my gosh, this place SUCKS!!! What the heck happened here that hunting sucks so much?!?!!?" ;) Crossbows are just one of about half a dozen reasons they suck but ya, from what I understand, just added even more pressure for access, more competition for the 1.5 year olds and MI continues to be a joke for older deer, absolute joke.
I can't believe how many massive groups over many states have gotten together in outrage that a big "regulation change" of many variations has "DESTROYED the hunting". And that's the verbiage I hear, read and see all over. You know how many folks took to the petition and got organized and loud after WI did the "earn a buck" and areas had "NO DEER". How many in PA lost it after "no deer, too much pressure, major reg changes on many levels, etc - hunting is destroyed". How many articles, groups and coops started ringing the bells that IL was heading down the wrong path and now it's "destroyed vs what it used to be and ruined all the potential". how many times do we have to hear this before we learn - screwing with regs, seasons, etc can really be detrimental? Didn't we learn anything from bringing in a Late Shed Buck Season? Didn't we understand at all that many hunters felt helpless watching their hunting go down the crapper? FINALLY, we had so many voices they reversed it, good for us! Now, threats will just flood in from other areas and special interests. If folks haven't learned the lesson that Iowa has a fragile deer resource, ok, the cause is lost because we need a lot of folks to defend the status quo as it is (and it's hurting in many areas as we speak). I hope folks can think and learn because I put IOWA on a pedistal vs all the other short sighted money grabbers in other states that "ruin it". Coincidentally, I see NR's from all those states in droves, escaping their disaster to come to the last beacon of deer management, balance & quality- IOWA.

Last edited:
It is sad to see bow hunters against bow hunters. Deer hunters against deer hunters because "I do not like your method of hunting". Sportsman against sportsman. Divide us and the antis and other groups that stand united will use it to their advantage.

It is sad to see bow hunters against bow hunters. Deer hunters against deer hunters because "I do not like your method of hunting". Sportsman against sportsman. Divide us and the antis and other groups that stand united will use it to their advantage.

I'm a gun hunter. I don't think Iowa should put guns during archery season. Is that making me a deer hunter against deer hunters? Would you be against deer hunters if you didn't like rifle hunting Sept 15 to Jan 10th? It's not bow hunters against bow hunters or hunters against hunters.... It's guys protecting good regulations & protecting a resource that's under jeopardy from special interest groups trying to pimp out our Deer resource for $ or their personal agenda with lobbying with a motive. So, since someone like myself bow hunts, muzzleloads, gun hunts and is actually not going to speak up on crossbows during late ML season (and support crossbows for disabled or medically needed) - how does that make me against other hunters or bowhunters just because I want to protect and preserve our seasons? Wanting to protect a delicate resource from all sorts of regulation threats makes me against hunters? I just find that statement incredibly inaccurate.

I'm a gun hunter. I don't think Iowa should put guns during archery season. Is that making me a deer hunter against deer hunters? Would you be against deer hunters if you didn't like rifle hunting Sept 15 to Jan 10th? It's not bow hunters against bow hunters or hunters against hunters.... It's guys protecting good regulations & protecting a resource that's under jeopardy from special interest groups trying to pimp out our Deer resource for $ or their personal agenda with lobbying with a motive. So, since someone like myself bow hunts, muzzleloads, gun hunts and is actually not going to speak up on crossbows during late ML season (and support crossbows for disabled or medically needed) - how does that make me against other hunters or bowhunters just because I want to protect and preserve our seasons? Wanting to protect a delicate resource from all sorts of regulation threats makes me against hunters? I just find that statement incredibly inaccurate.

Incredibly ignorant is more like it!

Top Bottom