Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cross Bows in Iowa....? I hope not

Just for the record,,I haven't shot at a deer with a firearm since1993...

You have shot them with a crossbow though. Tell us your experience on them? Do you think they have any advantages over a compound? Just curious.

The 3 guys I know, shoulder injuries, all claim it is like cheating during bow season if you keep your range realistic and deer are not alert. They all laugh about it when we have this exact conversation. Surprisingly, they do not support crossbows outside of the disabled for archery season.

They are all shooting upper end crossbows though which I am sure can make a difference on performance. It is pretty amazing a guy can wrap up $2000 up in one. Of course, it blows my mind upper end compound bows you will wrap $1500 in one as well.

I've noticed noticed most of the guys that are pro crossbow on here are the same people who are supporting party hunting and the shotgun seasons..

Maybe we should allow crossbows but eliminate both the gun seasons. Equal trade off of you ask me.

I would support the addition of crossbow and the drop of allowing party hunting.

I'd be for anything that would make our "resource better", shortened season, 1 buck tag, no party hunting, whatever. We rarely get those types of proposals though because we don't have big groups that have $ to gain if something like that happens. It usually goes the other way, all the threats & monkey wrenches we have to defend. I guess you're against hunters if you don't want to allow rifles all season long, unlimited NR tags, baiting, a six month gun season, a 4 buck limit, crossbows, etc, etc. There's no reason to object to adding any sort of season, weapon, limit, etc.

BTW- those youtube videos on crossbows, pretty much clears up a lot of debate ;) That kind of "proof" will sure be valuable when all the BS arguments come up when folks bring the fight to pimp our resource.

I bought a nice ten point from scheels. I will be more than ecstatic to use it this season. I have talked to people who hunt with crossbow that have stated they haven't harvested a deer in 5 years. So with that being said if you don't have private land to hunt or manage then your not going to have an advantage either way.

100 yard compound bows shots, the internet has many links available. Looks like the distance advantage of a crossbow is the same as a compound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1f3gDH3p3E

The difference is, hand me any crossbow sighted in for 100 yards, show me where to aim and I will put them in there all day long if it is a calm day.

Hand me my bow that I have owned 7 years and I won't touch said target at 100 yards consistently for many months. Not many archers will ever be good enough to make that 100 yard shot.

The masses can make a 100 yard shot with a scope, rest and preloaded weapon.

I've noticed noticed most of the guys that are pro crossbow on here are the same people who are supporting party hunting and the shotgun seasons.. Maybe we should allow crossbows but eliminate both the gun seasons. Equal trade off of you ask me.

I would be fine if they eliminated all gun seasons and I could care less about crossbows. But then what would there be to cry about? Not being able to fill your tag?

Drop of the heavy arrow of a crossbow is significant. To hit 100 yrds you'd have to aim,,what,,,,a ft high? Two ft? Ridiculous! Effective,,best distance for most hunters 25 to 30 yrds. Deer can jump the loud noise of a crossbow,,I've seen this.

Do crossbow scopes have bdc reticles or something like gun scopes have for longer ranges?

Im looking for a cross-bow after reading I could now use one. Why not try something new to keep me out in the woods a little longer.

Remember a bad day in the timber is better than sitting at the mall/in front of the TV/or being at work. Who cares what weapon you use! Get out and hunt.

Gentlemen, I told myself, self you better stay out of this thread back when it started but for some reason a six pack sounded good tonight and I haven't drank since summer catfishing on the river so here it goes.........

1. Any state that is a one buck rule cannot be compared to Iowa. Iowa is a 2 buck state. One for bow, one for gun. Yes, you can use a bow during late muzz however it is still a gun tag. Landowners can get a 3rd tag.

2. I would actually be in favor of allowing crossbows in Iowa Archery season if Iowa was a one buck state. A person will only kill one buck regardless so who cares what they use. Issue one tag, good for all seasons and when you kill your buck all you got left is doe tags if you wish to use them. Yes, there will be increased pressure in bow season but you can only kill one buck. There is still the party hunting loop hole but since you are issued only one any sex tag the number of bucks killed is still limited.

3. Iowa has anywhere from 125,000 to 140,000 gun hunters based on different numbers I have seen. I have no clue how many bowhunters but from what I have seen in the past it is less than 50,000. This means the "potential" of 75,000 - 90,000 additional people that may be interested in getting an archery tag if crossbows were allowed.

4. I personally know over 20 guys who currently only gun hunt that claim they would bowhunt if they could use a crossbow because good lord those things are sticking them in the 10 ring at 100 yards. Yes, youtube videos can be misleading from real world in the woods but that is what these boys see. The only reason I know so many guys is I am a sales rep that touches hundreds of hunters throuhgout the season in many different areas of Iowa.

5. Can Iowa support an additional 75-90,000 bowhunters in the woods. Lets say only 25% do it, so another 18,000- 22,500 bowhunters? Well, we do it during gun season but what I have noticed is a lot of my buddies have access to ground during bow season that they do not during gun season due to family and friends hunting gun season. What happens when those gun hunters all the sudden want to bowhunt? Good bye buddy on that ground which is fair but where do they go? Will leasing go up? Hunt public like all the others?

6. Anyone that says crossbows offer no advantage kind of cracks me up since they are allowed for disabled people. Really? I have no doubt I would be more efficient at killing big bucks inside of 30 yards with a crossbow with a scope than a compound bow. I have messed up on some dandies bowhunting simply due to there is a lot more going on with a bow that does not happen with a crossbow. A crossbow, yes may be a little awkward in the tree, but at the end of the day, crosshairs behind shoulder, shoot. I don't mess up with my gun inside of 30 yards like I have with a bow at 30 yards or less.

7. Gun hunters in general, myself included, shoots their gun one day before the season. Yep, its dead on. This will happen with a crossbow. There really is no need to practice much once sighted in. This is what is appealing to the gun hunters I know as there biggest complaint now is they don't have enough time to be proficient with a bow.

8. What will the quality of the herd be like with the increased harvest numbers during bow season. Nobody can argue there will be a lot of gun hunters trying it. Everyone talks about it where I go, heck I may use a crossbow as they do look sweet.

9. I don't believe adding crossbow to archery will bring on a lot of new hunters. I think there will be a big increase in archery sales but most will be gun hunters. I could see some younger kids that are not capable of handling a bow getting into it and a possibly a few adults but most of those increased tag sales will simply be gun hunters getting there second buck tag.

10. What happens to the NR that are currently waiting 3-4 years to draw a tag for archery when an additional X number of people apply because they can now use a cross bow. Will Iowa increase the quota number? What impact will that have.

I guess in closing thoughts if Iowa wants to go to crossbow during archery, they really should consider going to a one buck rule. I would be fine with crossbows in archery then. Currently I believe the whole issue is more about land access and the quality of a drastically declined herd by adding a new season that could potentially attract the masses that currently only use one buck tag. I do see advantages to a crossbow over a compound however I think it is more the fact that an additional 75-90,000 people could be joining bow season that concerns me the most. The hunting is nowhere near what it was 10 years ago, I am selfish, I want to hunt a state on public ground where I still have a chance at seeing a good deer over a ton of hunters.

Yep I agree. Idk who many lazy bowhunters Ive talked to saying if crossbow season opens there going to them b/c they can take 1oo+ yard shots. People can argue about the whole compound vs traditional stuff, but in reality there still both bows that you have to draw back and know how to shoot and ect. Idk how many deer, if I had a crossbow i could have shot, because i dont have to draw. I have talked to too many idiots to make be believe that crossbows are good for the general public to use during the archery season. I know FOR FACT people around here were talking of doing deer drives with crossbows this year b/c they thought that the late season crossbow allowance applied to early archery deer season until I told them they were off on the facts.

Idiots is right! Just try and do a drive using cross bows? They are bows. The arrows are tipped with broadheads. They do not shoot bullets. They are made for close encounter hunting just like upright bows. Quiet and stealth are required just like any bow.

Idiots is right! Just try and do a drive using cross bows? They are bows. The arrows are tipped with broadheads. They do not shoot bullets. They are made for close encounter hunting just like upright bows. Quiet and stealth are required just like any bow.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say? It is completely legal to hunt deer using drives with a bow. I know many people who have been doing it for many years. The only difference from shotgun is you must tag the deer you kill, and you can no longer hunt after filling your tag. The same regulations apply towards muzzleloaders. Thus the inclusion of crossbows during muzzleloader and late archery season.

Last edited:
I Know for the first time Iowa now will allow Cross Bows during the late Muzzle Loader season. If you want to hunt with a Cross Bow it should only be allowed during the gun season!
I believe archery is an art and it should not be done with a scope and a trigger. I do however believe the physically disabled should be permitted to use a Cross Bow.
I have heard the argument that this same battle took place with the introduction of the Compound bow, but it's not a fair comparison. When Bowhunting you need to be stealth ,and be able to pull your string back at the precise time , and not be detected as well as be able to hold it long enough for a shot. The room for error is much smaller with a bow than a Cross Bow. The Bow Manufactures have lobbyist 's and a lot of money behind them. They are pushing very hard for Cross Bows to be legal in every state. Don't be fooled, the Pro Cross Bow voice you hear are from the Archery Companies! I hope they are never welcomed in Iowa.
Preserve our Art.

You don't support crossbows in MZ season, but they are okay in gun season? Are you saying crossbows are as effective as high powered rifles?

I have no respect for any hunter that bashes someone for using a crossbow. Hunting is about getting out and enjoying it as long as you are doing so ethically. If you only hunt because you want to challenge yourself and others, you are hunting for no reason other than to boost your ego. Find another hobby

Also great potential for wounding. That is what so many comment about crossbows. They are too easy. Compounds are more of a challenge, more sporting. More opportunity for wounding too. Crossbows are sporting too. Never a slam dunk with an arrow flying thru the air. Need to drop this dead horse!

Top Bottom