Cross Bows in Iowa....? I hope not

Discussion in 'Iowa Whitetail Conference' started by thecreedeer, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Liv4Rut

Liv4Rut Active Member

You have shot them with a crossbow though. Tell us your experience on them? Do you think they have any advantages over a compound? Just curious.

The 3 guys I know, shoulder injuries, all claim it is like cheating during bow season if you keep your range realistic and deer are not alert. They all laugh about it when we have this exact conversation. Surprisingly, they do not support crossbows outside of the disabled for archery season.

They are all shooting upper end crossbows though which I am sure can make a difference on performance. It is pretty amazing a guy can wrap up $2000 up in one. Of course, it blows my mind upper end compound bows you will wrap $1500 in one as well.

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. I would support the addition of crossbow and the drop of allowing party hunting.

4. Liv4Rut

Liv4Rut Active Member

I honestly believe if they made party hunting illegal it would still happen. It would be tough to enforce.

5. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

I'd be for anything that would make our "resource better", shortened season, 1 buck tag, no party hunting, whatever. We rarely get those types of proposals though because we don't have big groups that have $ to gain if something like that happens. It usually goes the other way, all the threats & monkey wrenches we have to defend. I guess you're against hunters if you don't want to allow rifles all season long, unlimited NR tags, baiting, a six month gun season, a 4 buck limit, crossbows, etc, etc. There's no reason to object to adding any sort of season, weapon, limit, etc.

BTW- those youtube videos on crossbows, pretty much clears up a lot of debate ;) That kind of "proof" will sure be valuable when all the BS arguments come up when folks bring the fight to pimp our resource.

6. I bought a nice ten point from scheels. I will be more than ecstatic to use it this season. I have talked to people who hunt with crossbow that have stated they haven't harvested a deer in 5 years. So with that being said if you don't have private land to hunt or manage then your not going to have an advantage either way.

7. CR Archer

CR Archer Member

8. Liv4Rut

Liv4Rut Active Member

The difference is, hand me any crossbow sighted in for 100 yards, show me where to aim and I will put them in there all day long if it is a calm day.

Hand me my bow that I have owned 7 years and I won't touch said target at 100 yards consistently for many months. Not many archers will ever be good enough to make that 100 yard shot.

The masses can make a 100 yard shot with a scope, rest and preloaded weapon.

9. Bowtech84

Bowtech84 Well-Known Member

I would be fine if they eliminated all gun seasons and I could care less about crossbows. But then what would there be to cry about? Not being able to fill your tag?

10. loneranger

loneranger Well-Known Member

Drop of the heavy arrow of a crossbow is significant. To hit 100 yrds you'd have to aim,,what,,,,a ft high? Two ft? Ridiculous! Effective,,best distance for most hunters 25 to 30 yrds. Deer can jump the loud noise of a crossbow,,I've seen this.

11. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

Do crossbow scopes have bdc reticles or something like gun scopes have for longer ranges?

12. hoosierhunter

hoosierhunter Active Member

Yes they have all different kinds.

13. Steve-O

Steve-O World Member

Im looking for a cross-bow after reading I could now use one. Why not try something new to keep me out in the woods a little longer.

Remember a bad day in the timber is better than sitting at the mall/in front of the TV/or being at work. Who cares what weapon you use! Get out and hunt.

14. WillBates

WillBates Member

Yep I agree. Idk who many lazy bowhunters Ive talked to saying if crossbow season opens there going to them b/c they can take 1oo+ yard shots. People can argue about the whole compound vs traditional stuff, but in reality there still both bows that you have to draw back and know how to shoot and ect. Idk how many deer, if I had a crossbow i could have shot, because i dont have to draw. I have talked to too many idiots to make be believe that crossbows are good for the general public to use during the archery season. I know FOR FACT people around here were talking of doing deer drives with crossbows this year b/c they thought that the late season crossbow allowance applied to early archery deer season until I told them they were off on the facts.

15. loneranger

Idiots is right! Just try and do a drive using cross bows? They are bows. The arrows are tipped with broadheads. They do not shoot bullets. They are made for close encounter hunting just like upright bows. Quiet and stealth are required just like any bow.

16. Droptines

Droptines Active Member

I'm not sure what you are trying to say? It is completely legal to hunt deer using drives with a bow. I know many people who have been doing it for many years. The only difference from shotgun is you must tag the deer you kill, and you can no longer hunt after filling your tag. The same regulations apply towards muzzleloaders. Thus the inclusion of crossbows during muzzleloader and late archery season.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  17. loneranger

Well,pretty good if you can hit a runnin deer with a bow, is all I can say!

18. Master Chief

Master Chief Member

You don't support crossbows in MZ season, but they are okay in gun season? Are you saying crossbows are as effective as high powered rifles?

I have no respect for any hunter that bashes someone for using a crossbow. Hunting is about getting out and enjoying it as long as you are doing so ethically. If you only hunt because you want to challenge yourself and others, you are hunting for no reason other than to boost your ego. Find another hobby

19. Master Chief

Master Chief Member

That's not good. It's incredibly bad, in fact. Wounding a running deer with a bow is too much of a risk

20. Droptines

Droptines Active Member

It isn't nearly as hard as you may think! It does involve skill, practice, and intimate knowledge of the land you are hunting. Wait isn't that what bowhunting is?

21. loneranger

Also great potential for wounding. That is what so many comment about crossbows. They are too easy. Compounds are more of a challenge, more sporting. More opportunity for wounding too. Crossbows are sporting too. Never a slam dunk with an arrow flying thru the air. Need to drop this dead horse!