Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cross Bows in Iowa....? I hope not

Also great potential for wounding. That is what so many comment about crossbows. They are too easy. Compounds are more of a challenge, more sporting. More opportunity for wounding too. Crossbows are sporting too. Never a slam dunk with an arrow flying thru the air. Need to drop this dead horse!

I think you are the one riding that horse! I've killed most of my deer doing drives with a recurve bow. Instinctive shooting. Too many people quick to judge about something they know little about.

I think you are the one riding that horse! I've killed most of my deer doing drives with a recurve bow. Instinctive shooting. Too many people quick to judge about something they know little about.

Just because deer are driven doesn't mean the shot is taken at a running deer. Deer drive is a very loosely interpreted term. I'm assuming your definition of hunting a deer drive isn't the same as a shotgun hunters.

As for the rest of this thread

Damn it's not hard to understand. From a trophy hunting perspective, crossbows will inhibit Iowa's ability to continue to produce big deer due to increased pressure in bow season.

If your a proponent of hunting and not trophies then it's a great idea because it brings more people into the sport and its a transition weapon for some.

Everybody needs to get off this ethics crap. Unethical hunting happens equally with any weapon used. Idiots will be idiots regardless. The best shooters will all miss at some point.

It would seem the term (idiot) is handed out quite frequently on this forum. I simply would like to show those who are judgmental using the term (idiots) are far from knowing the correct way to hunt deer in Iowa. It would also seem some don't even know the regulations in Iowa to hunt deer!

Simple....Ban all weapons but hand made recurves and spears! I'd have no complaints hunting that way if we all did. Would actually love it. Think of all the mature bucks that would be yours and yours alone to hunt.

I wish we had old internet forums to re-post from when compound bow users were getting bashed by the true archers who shot recurves and long bows.

It would seem the term (idiot) is handed out quite frequently on this forum. I simply would like to show those who are judgmental using the term (idiots) are far from knowing the correct way to hunt deer in Iowa. It would also seem some don't even know the regulations in Iowa to hunt deer!

Hold that thought. Let me mix a cocktail and you can enlightened me on ethically shooting "most" of your deer with traditional equipment during deer drives........

hoosierhunter said:
Hold that thought. Let me mix a cocktail and you can enlightened me on ethically shooting "most" of your deer with traditional equipment during deer drives........

^^^^ lmfao

The 2 ways crossbows will be legalized in Iowa...
1) Crossbow lobbies, politicians, folks with $ to make, revenue, etc.
2) The guys who JOIN the lobbyists that bring this issue up (the same lobbyists, crossbow companies, politicians that could care less about the quality of hunting out there, management, access to land or what has made Iowa a top tier state for managed right - the ones who only care about $ or their special interests).... The guys who throw out the argument no one can argue back with or you're bashing hunters.... "Well, anything to get more people outside, into the sport & enjoying the great outdoors". That's the group that, well, you better not argue with them or you're insensitive, greedy, a jerk, etc. I would simply say to those folks, similar to what I stated earlier... You're right and let's not stop there, let's get shotgun hunting and rifles out in October and November (more people hunting and enjoying the outdoors and bringing to the sport!!!!!). Let's open up baiting, give a lot of new folks opportunities to hunt that don't have the education to hunt the way it is now - new hunters & more opportunities! Let's open the NR quota wide open, no more draw.... Bring tens of thousands more hunters to the state instantly! (MORE GUYS ENJOYING THE SPORT!!!! REMEMBER!!!!!). Put late Shed buck Rifle season back in the season calendar - more opportunity, more hunters, more fun!!!!! Lets increase the buck quota to 5 bucks per hunter, man, my season would never be over and I could be in the great outdoors all the time!!!! Heck, let's start the season August 1 to March 1, why not?!?! Gorgeous weather and a lot of guys that have physical limits from the cold weather, would give them a great chance to go out, spend time with buddies and do some hunting. Come on guys, let's take our regulations now, throw em in the trash and really give some folks some opportunity!!!! I mean, a couple months with a bow, 2 muzzleloader seasons, 2 shotgun seasons, youth season and crossbows during the ML season - all going from September 15 to January 10th, heck, that's not near enough opportunity for anyone hardly!!!! Heck, YEAR ROUND RIFLE HUNTING!!! HOW BOUT IT?!?!?!

Last edited:
the 2 ways crossbows will be legalized in iowa... 1) crossbow lobbies, politicians, folks with $ to make, revenue, etc. 2) the guys who throw out the argument no one can argue back with or you're bashing hunters.... "well, anything to get more people outside, into the sport & enjoying the great outdoors". That's the group that, well, you better not argue with them or you're a jerk. I would simply say to those folks, similar to what i stated earlier... You're right and let's not stop there, let's get shotgun hunting and rifles out in october and november (more people hunting and enjoying the outdoors and bringing to the sport!!!!!). Let's open up baiting, give a lot of new folks opportunities to hunt that don't have the education to hunt the way it is now - new hunters & more opportunities! Let's open the nr quota wide open, no more draw.... Bring tens of thousands more hunters to the state instantly! (more guys enjoying the sport!!!! Remember!!!!!). Put late shed buck rifle season back in the season calendar - more opportunity, more hunters, more fun!!!!! Lets increase the buck quota to 5 bucks per hunter, man, my season would never be over and i could be in the great outdoors all the time!!!! Heck, let's start the season august 1 to march 1, why not?!?! Gorgeous weather and a lot of guys that have physical limits from the cold weather, would give them a great chance to go out, spend time with buddies and do some hunting. Come on guys, let's take our regulations now, throw em in the trash and really give some folks some opportunity!!!! I mean, a couple months with a bow, 2 muzzleloader seasons, 2 shotgun seasons, youth season and crossbows during the ml season - all going from september 15 to january 10th, heck, that's not near enough opportunity for anyone hardly!!!! Heck, year round rifle hunting!!! How bout it?!?!?!

amen!!!!!!!!!

Maybe we can get a deer trapping season as well. Hate to leave out those trappers - could bring in some additional folks to deer season.

Heck, YEAR ROUND RIFLE HUNTING!!! HOW BOUT IT?!?!?!

There are some guys in VB county that have been enjoying that season for years. Evidently the legal shooting hours for that season are 30 minutes before sunset until 30 minutes after sunrise and I think you can only shoot from a motorized vehicle. Also if the vehicle has electric windows/gun rests then the buck can't be entered in the record books. :D

The 2 ways crossbows will be legalized in Iowa... 1) Crossbow lobbies, politicians, folks with $ to make, revenue, etc. 2) The guys who JOIN the lobbyists that bring this issue up (the same lobbyists, crossbow companies, politicians that could care less about the quality of hunting out there, management, access to land or what has made Iowa a top tier state for managed right - the ones who only care about $ or their special interests).... The guys who throw out the argument no one can argue back with or you're bashing hunters.... "Well, anything to get more people outside, into the sport & enjoying the great outdoors". That's the group that, well, you better not argue with them or you're insensitive, greedy, a jerk, etc. I would simply say to those folks, similar to what I stated earlier... You're right and let's not stop there, let's get shotgun hunting and rifles out in October and November (more people hunting and enjoying the outdoors and bringing to the sport!!!!!). Let's open up baiting, give a lot of new folks opportunities to hunt that don't have the education to hunt the way it is now - new hunters & more opportunities! Let's open the NR quota wide open, no more draw.... Bring tens of thousands more hunters to the state instantly! (MORE GUYS ENJOYING THE SPORT!!!! REMEMBER!!!!!). Put late Shed buck Rifle season back in the season calendar - more opportunity, more hunters, more fun!!!!! Lets increase the buck quota to 5 bucks per hunter, man, my season would never be over and I could be in the great outdoors all the time!!!! Heck, let's start the season August 1 to March 1, why not?!?! Gorgeous weather and a lot of guys that have physical limits from the cold weather, would give them a great chance to go out, spend time with buddies and do some hunting. Come on guys, let's take our regulations now, throw em in the trash and really give some folks some opportunity!!!! I mean, a couple months with a bow, 2 muzzleloader seasons, 2 shotgun seasons, youth season and crossbows during the ML season - all going from September 15 to January 10th, heck, that's not near enough opportunity for anyone hardly!!!! Heck, YEAR ROUND RIFLE HUNTING!!! HOW BOUT IT?!?!?!

Sligh I feel your pain. Some of this stuff just makes you want to grab and shake people. It's like really???

Makes you wonder what laws would get passed if actual outdoorsman solely made the laws instead of some suit driving a BMW.

Personal views on cross bows as archery aside.

I still have never heard a credible reason why we need to add them to the general archery season. If you think the push to do this is being driven by anyone other then the manufactures your fooling yourself. The DNR just wants the tag revenue.

My main concern is the added pressure on the herd and more problems getting access to land. Sligh covered most of that several times. Are those selfish reasons? When you boil it all down, to a degree yes.

Still, the question remains. Why do we need them? If you hunt with a bow now why switch? If you can't use a bow for whatever reason you can get the crossbow permit. From what I hear it's not to hard to get.

Personally, if they are ever allowed in the general archery season I think they will be a fad that passes. I hope that would be the case. If we get a real increase in hunters and pressure in the archery season are people prepared to deal with what that could mean? Possibly becoming a 1 buck state? Maybe shortened seasons?

I don't know just thinking and typing. Maybe there is a whole bunch of CB enthusiasts out there I don't know about. They've been added to the late season and personally I think that is a fair compromise.

Consider this from a crossbow state that added them 5 years ago. The choice will add hunters to your archery season, will increase pressure and reduce land access, will impact overall deer numbers causing unintended consequences in the form of reduced seasons and/or harvest opportunity.(one buck)

I know guys who never archery hunted before the season was implemented, bought a crossbow, perched themselves in a condo blind with a nice window rest, and have shot deer the past 3 seasons. It is not bowhunting, it is a firearms platform firing a non-explosive projectile.

I see that most the people not wanting a crossbow season as bow hunters. It makes me feel like they don't want more competition in an already competitive season. the worry about unintended concequences and less trophy bucks and less deer. I see this push to end party hunting coming from bow hunters as well. So I will stir up a turd here and say that...

IN THE NAME OF SAFETY AND MORE TROPHY DEER I BELIEVE THAT HUNTING FROM A TREE AND DURING THE RUT SHOULD BE OUTLAWED!!!

See how rediculus that is? Why the infighting amongst hunters? It has to be greed, thats all I can think of. Hunters, bow hunters in paticular have this mindset that because they take pictures of a deer all year that they somehow own that deer. Seriously guys there enuff folks out there that want to end hunting all together, they don't need help from hunters fighting against hunters and pushing to take away rights and traditions that have been happening for decades.

I see that most the people not wanting a crossbow season as bow hunters. It makes me feel like they don't want more competition in an already competitive season. the worry about unintended concequences and less trophy bucks and less deer. I see this push to end party hunting coming from bow hunters as well. So I will stir up a turd here and say that...

IN THE NAME OF SAFETY AND MORE TROPHY DEER I BELIEVE THAT HUNTING FROM A TREE AND DURING THE RUT SHOULD BE OUTLAWED!!!

See how rediculus that is? Why the infighting amongst hunters? It has to be greed, thats all I can think of. Hunters, bow hunters in paticular have this mindset that because they take pictures of a deer all year that they somehow own that deer. Seriously guys there enuff folks out there that want to end hunting all together, they don't need help from hunters fighting against hunters and pushing to take away rights and traditions that have been happening for decades.

Is this infighting amongst hunters? I think it is bow hunters trying to protect their season and protect the quality of deer they can target.

When some guys don't get their way, they go to the---anti's are going to be all over this card. Kinda like the race card. Anti's have nothing to do with this.

Savage, and whoever else wants crossbow, still did not say why you think we need to add Cross Bows, if in fact you do. Are concerns about added pressure selfish? To a degree they are. I already admitted that.

As to unintended consequences you don't think they are a possibility? You want to throw out the "snobby bow hunters" card. You say hunters need to stick together and I agree. This topic can be discussed without hunters fighting hunters if everyone's first concern is the resource we all enjoy.

How's the deer herd in your area? Did they cut tags there this year? IF CBs where added and that caused the number of hunters out during the archery season to increase that will mean more deer of all kinds killed during archery season. That means less deer around during gun season. This COULD have an effect on ALL deer hunters.

Archery seasons are long because hunter #'s are low as are success rates when compared to gun seasons. To change that balance and not think it will have an overall effect on other hunters, seasons and the resource as a whole is short sighted.

This is infighting amongst hunters and the anti hunters love it. They see it as a chink in the armor that can be exploited when the time is right. Divide and conquer to chip away at hunting one piece at a time.

To add to MPLANE's comments, those who are for crossbows for more opportunities... You should and would support gun season during the rut, adding the rifle season back to the calendar, making the season August 1 to February 1 (whatever), etc, etc? All these extra weapons and seasons, you'd support those too right? I'd really like an answer from the pro-crossbow folks on that.

My problem now is in ANY regulation change. I see some things that could be improved, no doubt, some seasons or regs we could actually "TAKE AWAY" (shame on me for saying that) BUT.... in the essence of simplicity, we should fight tooth & nail to just keep the regulations the way they are now. We've seen what happens when we start messing with a good system, it ruins it. How bout all the changes Illinois has made, that's just another example of a good thing being pimped out and ruined. Keep Iowa.... IOWA. We don't need to become Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin. IOWA is the best example of OPPORTUNITY & QUALITY IN THE NATION. Leave it alone!!!!!

Top Bottom