Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer classic pics??? Can u all post em??

That was a heck of a deer. I had read somewhere they thought that deer was only 2 or 3? Looking at the mount it sure didnt look like a "mature" deer....imagine if that deer would have another year or two...not taking anything away from it by any means....

If that buck was 3 years old.... holy sh**!!

• Deleted by southsideriverrat
Show…
I think the problem was Jay Fish tried to oversell how big the sheds were

Incorrect. Jay's understanding of the sheds and the ideal spread setting, etc, was straight from Klaus Lebrecht and Keith Snider. All before Jay owned the sheds. The full mount was hastily arranged and done very poorly obviously. Jay was just sort of along for the ride on that. Klaus set up the mount. Yes it was put on an old full body set up for prior sheds. Jay made a very good decision not to display that setup.

For clarity, the full body mount was never set up at the Iowa Deer Classic. Period. I was at the booth all three days. So lots of misinformation out there.

Last edited:
Ahh I see. I don't see how a guy could honestly think that mount was remotely correct... guess it goes to show ya gotta do your homework before you unveil something like that. Lotta money down the tube to remount that thing properly.

Incorrect.

No money down the drain to mount it. It was just putting an early replica set on an old full body used at many shows in the past. Zero cost outside of trailering it to the show.

Last edited:
Looks like the return of the Rampola buck.

I know the comment is in fun, and with sarcasm, but still...unlike Rompola:
1. These are sheds.
2. They are real for sure.
3. The use of *this* old full body mount was an awful idea because the angles of the mount posts were off. That's why you can joke about any similarity with the Rompola.

The photo's put out on the web did the damage, but also helped keep that awful mountin the trailer.

Mitch's rack was what it was. The temporary mount does not reflect how these sheds will be mounted for the long haul.

Last edited:
Kinda hard to argue with trail cam pics
c6946057002863eb4d80f8f857996879.jpg

fc9a21c9df1b8ab215fc41bd8ac46914.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These two are indeed of the 2015 Indy Legend buck. Now...how do you think these angled views are helpful in setting up an inside spread on mounted sheds? The first one is mildly helpful and the second one is minimally helpful. They both show a gorgeous deer as we can all see. These two photo's ARE helpful in setting up other rotational angles of the mount.

I think their story was that that was the only full-body mount already available to show the antlers on, and due to the ears positioning, the antlers had to be set like that. Cole (the publicist) and Fish (the purchaser of the sheds) were telling people on fb that they knew the antlers were set wrong on the mount, but wrong because they were too narrow! They said when they get mounted right, they'll be like 1.5" wider. Lol

Incorrect. I've heard nothing like this despite having been in the Fish booth the entire show, and having much contact with Jay before the show too.

Correct that the full body mount was not properly set for this deer. Obviously, when the deer is set up properly, the antlers will be higher than that mount, and the brow tines will be much more vertical.

For clarity, it's not accurate to call Dan Cole the "publicist" of these Indy Legend sheds. Dan Cole had been talking with Keith Snider about writing the story of these sheds. This was before Jay bought the sheds. Jay is merely honoring Keith's commitment to Dan in that sense. Jay doesn't need any publicist as you know. But he doesn't write many articles. So Dan is going to do that. Dan writes really good deer articles. It makes sense.

Last edited:
Correct. From what I read they Cole was saying the spread is actually another 1 to 1.5 inches. It just doesn't look right with the spread like that on the mount and when people hold them how they say they were. You can't argue with those trail cams pics though, much more realistic. That deer was not as wide as what Cole etc were saying IMHO. I was talking to someone Sunday working the booth where they were at and he was still swearing by the fact of how wide they are. By the way, correct me if I'm wrong, but the mount was just to put the sheds on to show what it may have looked like. That mount was not made just for those sheds etc. it was just brought to display them at the classic. I'm glad they took them off because anyone could just pick them up and hold them. Pictures really do not do them justice, they are huge.

Some correct info here, some incorrect.

Yes the full body mount was a last minute thing, an old body used many times before and poorly set for these sheds. It was a terrible mistake to do it, and a mistake to post the images. That's on Dan, Jay, and Klaus. I never did get Jay to come around to my view on how bad it was. I was very happy when Jay decided not to display that mount.

Nobody was saying those sheds would ultimately be mounted more widely than in that temporary mount. Well I never heard that from Dan or Jay or anybody else fwiw.

The full body mount sheds were replicas. Nobody is going to drill holes up into the bases of the original sheds. The originals would've been there for all to hold and pose with regardless.

Yup...they are huge!

Last edited:
Yes, I'd agree with all that. I think their point was that the antlers could be set more realistic looking, but maybe turned outwards some to achieve the 30"+ inside spread. Who knows. Lots of "experts" chimed in saying they thought 27"ish would be about right. I wasn't there and haven't seen the antlers. One of the guys at the booth, Dan V., is a pretty knowledgeable citizen deer historian. He's kept a data-base going with all sorts of neat trivia, like ranking the world's biggest typicals by their gross score, or by their total beam length, for examples. He was very on board with the 30+ spread. Another interesting point is that a month ago or so, they set up to have the story of these sheds "leaked" on fb to help promote the article about to be released in NAW. Not sure what happened, but the wrong guy leaked the story and did it the wrong way on the wrong FB chat group, and Cole flipped out! Haha. Such a big buck soap opera. That was my take anyway. I could be wrong.

Yes it's true that the original posting about the existence and significance of these sheds was posted on FB against Dan Cole's wishes. Cameron Coble posted the info and photo's. But Cameron had been aware of the whole thing long ago and had not promised to keep things under wraps. He did not break any promises in posting the info. And Jay gave him permission to do it. Regardless...yes...a big deer soap opera, it's true.

I photographed Dan and Cameron chatting amiably on Saturday right before the sheds were panel scored. It'll be o.k.

Last edited:
The bigger issue to me is why the left antler was able to be "officially" scored. It has been repaired. the G3 tine was broken when found. Tom Sexton repaired it.

The missing piece was found and fit exactly. This allows accurate scoring and is accepted by the NASHC. There is no issue here. All major scoring bodies allow repaired antlers to be scored as long as the broken piece(s) are in hand and the original configuration and measurements can be assured.

Last edited:
I don’t think that matters for scoring purposes. Sheer speculation until someone kills the deer with head gear unbroken. The mount looked bad, IMO.

Here you are mixing issues.

Yup...that temporary mount looked awful. It was a very poorly done to try to get it in time for the Iowa show. Bad bad bad

The "broken head gear" had nothing to do with speculation. There was/is no speculation with regard to the repaired tine. It is completely accurate.

Speculation can be construed vis-a-vis the shed mounts with regard to rotation, spread, etc. Educated speculation of course.

• Deleted by southsideriverrat
Show…
I understand wanting to put those on a mount to display. Great idea. And even saying "yes we know it's not correct, but that's the best we could do with the mount we had" still doesn't cover how bad that looked lol. I'm no whitetail expert, but ANYBODY could look at that mount and look at the actual deer after it was harvested the next year and see that it was obviously wrong. Pretty ballsy to take that mount to the classic with the antlers set like that IMO. I hate the fact that these guys are trying to make something bigger than it already is. Those sheds are phenomenal! Don't ruin them by trying to make them more than what they are.

The mounted sheds looked horrible. No question. I'm still not sure Jay understands how bad they looked. If the next attempt doesn't look better then...well...we'll see how it goes.

Seriously...I'm not feeling that anybody is making them to be more than they are. They are fabulous antlers. It's just the inside spread really. Stay tuned

So i noticed the trail cam pics that Jordan posted were from 2015? Are the time stamps correct? and then from what i understand the animal was killed the next year? I just wonder why after 2 years this is the first ive heard of this animal....i find that a little odd....

Nothing odd here.

Both sheds were found on Jan 31, 2016. The right by Andrea Moffett and her (now ex) husband. The left by her niece. The left had 5" missing from the G3.

In order for this whole thing to come together...

the sheds had to be purchased separately. Then the missing section of the left G3 had to be located. The fact that this actually happened is nearly unbelievable. I suppose it will be part of the story when it is published. The repair then needed to be documented, verified, and accomplished. Keith Snider got all this done by last fall. Nobody was working on it until he did. I don't know when he started on it. Andrea went through a divorce. She could not focus on it. There was no manipulation of any timing.

Last edited:
Looking at the real mount next to the mounted sheds "my expert opinion" is that the sheds are too wide there as well...

But what do I know.

The sheds fell slightly outward and backward as they grew. This can be seen by close inspection of the angle near the bases. See other wide racks...the Knisley, the Grundy, etc. It did not happen again in 2016 as the buck was in decline and the rack was slightly smaller. Funny to say the 2016 rack was smaller than anything, as it is HUGE in itself.

Last edited:
Pretty easy to tell on that shed buck its mounted far too wide , just look at the brow tines. It’s a dead giveaway , they don’t look one bit natural or correct. In this case with all the pictures and real mount right there it should be obvious !

The mounted sheds on the full body mount are indeed an awful thing.

Don't let it make you cynical. Still hoping it gets done right.

Last edited:
Incorrect. I've heard nothing like this despite having been in the Fish booth the entire show, and having much contact with Jay before the show too. Correct that the full body mount was not properly set for this deer. Obviously, when the deer is set up properly, the antlers will be higher than that mount, and the brow tines will be much more vertical.

For clarity, it's not accurate to call Dan Cole the "publicist" of these Indy Legend sheds. Dan Cole had been talking with Keith Snider about writing the story of these sheds. This was before Jay bought the sheds. Jay is merely honoring Keith's commitment to Dan in that sense. Jay doesn't need any publicist as you know. But he doesn't write many articles. So Dan is going to do that. Dan writes really good deer articles. It makes sense.

You should read Jays Facebook post. He absolutely said the mount was how the antlers should have been, and that they actually should have been even wider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom