Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Egyptian Wheat

I use another option thats pretty similar in size and can get it from Welters, its Sorghum/sudan hybrid. It grows 10-12 ft tall. Price was less than 1/2 of that. I didnt get it planted till early July and its already 7-8ft tall. Like Pauls pictures show, don't get it to thick so that the stalks can get thicker and stand longer into the year. I like the bigger seed head that the EW gets though.

I use another option thats pretty similar in size and can get it from Welters, its Sorghum/sudan hybrid. It grows 10-12 ft tall. Price was less than 1/2 of that. I didnt get it planted till early July and its already 7-8ft tall. Like Pauls pictures show, don't get it to thick so that the stalks can get thicker and stand longer into the year. I like the bigger seed head that the EW gets though.

Let's keep track and see which one stands up better as we go into winter? Maybe little or no difference but I am curious?;)

Will this come back volunteer next year? My landowner wouldn't smile upon something that would keep showing up in his fields for years.....

I don't think this would come back any worse then any sorghum or even corn left standing but I'll keep you posted if it does...;)

Here's some updates on mine as of 9-1-09

SDC12669.jpg

Next to some Big Bluestem

SDC12668.jpg

Compared to Highbush Cranberrys!

SDC12667.jpg

SDC12665.jpg

Lot's of uses for this stuff inclusing screens and creating funnels by leaving an opening or trail in it that leads right by your blind or tree stand...:way:

My gosh this stuff sure gets tall!

TallEW.jpg

It's impossible to see anything from the road now

EgyptianWheatscreen9-17.jpg

EWscreen9-17.jpg

and deer have yet to go through it but have a runway beat down along it

Runway.jpg

Wonder if I could "fence" em out of my food plots with this stuff? ;)

SDC12896.jpg

Perhaps not but I can see where one could create a lot of interesting habitat, funnels and screens with 10#'s of Egyptian Wheat seed...:way:

Some egyptian wheat update pics from Oct 27th...

Some of the tops (seed heads) were starting to break down and tip over slightly from high winds but the stalks were still standing well

EW10-27.jpg

Still plenty of screening

SDC13453.jpg

and planted next to a row of shrubs creates a "tunnel of death"...;)

EWtunnel.jpg

Walking down that lane created between the EW and shrubs I noticed scrape after scrape so there is an advantage to planting it adjacent to shrubs or a tree planting

ScrapenexttoEW.jpg

I had intended to plant the Sweet Spot mix mentioned in the clover thread in that lane but the wet spring (entire year really) didn't allow for it. I hope to add that component this next year.

The screening and safety of the EW, the shrubs offering licking branches and a sweet succulant food source all leading straight to my...tree stand...:way:

Dbltree, So hows the EW holding up to the snow we have had this year? Does it still make a good screen?

Also what about that sorghum/sudan hybrid Shrek1? How's it doin after all the snow?

Dbltree, So hows the EW holding up to the snow we have had this year? Does it still make a good screen?

Also what about that sorghum/sudan hybrid Shrek1? How's it doin after all the snow?

It's starting to break down and thin out a bit but still providing a fairly decent screen

12-22-09EW.jpg

LateDecEW.jpg

I suspect the sorghum is looking much the same but hopefully Shrek will sharesome pics. Corn can also provide a reliable screen but can also attract deer near a road or travel area where you really don't want them, so keep that in mind when planning your screens...;)

The sorghum is standing similar to EW. I wish I had planted different seeding rates on some of the plots to test standing ability. In the places where I know it was seeded way to heavy,(due to letting an 8yr old run free with a seeder:way:) its virtually flat. Besides that, I will use some of it again next year and some EW.

The sorghum is standing similar to EW. I wish I had planted different seeding rates on some of the plots to test standing ability. In the places where I know it was seeded way to heavy,(due to letting an 8yr old run free with a seeder:way:) its virtually flat. Besides that, I will use some of it again next year and some EW.

I hope to compare the two also but both need to be planted at 8-10#'s per acre so in a strip were talking a pretty small amount...not as easy as it looks...;)

!0-4 on that! It takes a really long strip at 10 ft wide to make an acre. About 8/10ths of a mile Very easy to overseed.

Anyone have any Egyp Wheat they would be willing to sale. I don't need much. I have about a 50 yard strip I would like to put some in to act as a security fence on one of my food plots. Let me know if any of you are willing to sale me a little? I only would need like a lb or 2 lbs I am guessing. Or do any of you know where you can buy it by the lb?

Last edited:
Late July in 09 my Egyptian Wheat looked like this...

Egyptianwheat7-24.jpg

but 2010 was one of the wettest on record (roughly 24" above normal so far) so planting was delayed til nearly the 1st of July. It's got a lot of catching up to do!

CIMG1533.jpg

Hopefully we'll still end up with some decent screening around food plots and along roadsides.

CIMG1532.jpg

I used year old seed so mixed a bit of Pheasants Forevers tall sorghum mix with it just in case. I put down about 80#'s of nitrogen per acre so hopefully it will catch up! :way:

A few pics of our Egyptian Wheat and forage sorghum (Pheasants Forever mix) screens

Designed to screen fields/plots to keep deer feeling safe and secure

EW4.jpg

and allow approach to a Lickcreek Blind in this case

EW2.jpg

You can see the various food sources as well as apple orchard that keep deer feeding here year around so having an approach in this case is crucial

EW3.jpg

The EW not only allows one to approach but also to slip out after dark without disturbing feeding deer.

EW1.jpg

Wet weather kep us from planting until the fist of July but 60#'s actual nitrogen and plenty of wet warm weather haa encouraged rapid growth.

Plan EW in late spring at 8-10#'s per acre with 50-80# of nitrogen, seed roughly an inch deep (lightly till in seed or drill it in) and cultipack...then stand back and watch it grow! :way:

Dang Paul, that is quite the setup you have there? These "Lickcreek" blinds, are they something you manufacture?

"Lickcreek" blinds

They are made by my neighbor and friend Jim Mathias who owns Lickcreek Enterprises in Birmingham IA...check the ad on the side of the page for more info.

Awesome blinds...gonna have one of my own by late muzzy season! :way:

I bought 2 of them from Jim with LickCreek Ent. as well. There's a thread on here and an ad. They are amazing blinds and far cheaper than anything I can find that even comes close to comparing. He can do custom blinds, etc. Great product and great price.

Some updated EW pics taken the first of September only 65 days after being planted...

IMG_0214.jpg

nice entrance/exit to the Lick Creek blinds!:way:

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

Wouldn't even know there was a blind there!

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

We'll have to cut a shooting hole thru it and a walk path perhaps but with a little care one can potentially enter and exit these blinds without spooking deer in the field!

IMG_0243.jpg

By the way...those blinds are meant to be scent proof...perhpas not a 100% but probably as close as one can get....:way:

Top Bottom