Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Experience direct seeding oak or cedar?

Old Buck

Life Member
I'd like to start doing some 'direct seeding'. Anyone have any experience especially with oak or red cedar?

Old Buck,
The DNR site has a really good article on seeding done with acorns. I think it was in one of their bulletins in the last year or so. I'm on a slow connection til the end of the week so if you don't find it by then- i'll send the link. Pharmer
bawling.gif

Mrs hogie here, we have planted some where in the neighborhood of 50,000 seedlings and a bunch of acres of nuts in the last 2 years so hogie may be able to help you out some..... I'll have him check in in the am as he's already commatos tonight.
sleeping.gif

We too are looking at this and have a meeting on friday to discuss this in great detail.. There is also a new program that is a "bottom ground hard wood tree planting program". I will find out more about this on Friday. Sounds like it could be a good program and is very new and believe it pays well.:USA1

Great info! I'm impressed. If anyone learns more about the red cedar part please reply.

Thanks!
Old Buck
893USA1-thumb[1].gif

Old Buck, we direct seeded 24 acres of trees on our farm last fall as part of the CRP program. I have been researching for awhile and learned alot you can email me @ jegchester@yahoo.com or check out one stop forestry's web site. They didnt do our project but have alot of good info and from what I understand kind of pionered direct seeding of trees.

Old Buck,eastern red cedar and caven rock switchgrass an old bucks best friend!me and vman planted 1500 cedars last year and they seem to be doing good.on the direct seeding end i just frost seeded about a mile along the mudroad that borders my place.the key with cedar seeds is that you must break the seed coat, they must be soaked in hot tap water for six hours.nature does this through a birds digestion system that is why you will see cedar in the middle of now where without any other cedars around.after scarification the seed should be cold stratified for 90 days.it is kind of like frost seeding switchgrass.cedar is fairly easy to establish just take a drive through southern iowa.i just prodcast the seed by hand and will keep this area mowed for the first year.i order my seeds from sheffields seed company and get the nebraska strain,these are a little hardier then the minnesota strain.they are about 80$ a pound with 80000 seeds per pound.my next plan is for instacover this is where you go thru the timber and fall timber in about a 1/2 acre chunk then bring in about 30 to 40 4ft. to 5ft. cedars and place them in the deadfalls.i just cant wait to try out the new tree spade, i just hope vman has his chain saw sharpened?i will stop by your booth at the classic and we will talk some more. seeya Tim

earthscratcher,
Thanks for the info. I think red cedar is one of the best things you can do in southern Iowa for whitetail security cover. Keep me posted on new developments.
Old Buck

Oaks are tricky, next time you are in an area of high to moderate deer density, look around for young oaks or even saplings they are extremely rare due to the higher deer populations. Oak saplings are a browse of the Whitetail deer. With Oaks I would recommend using a break away tree housing. Be sure to speak with one of your local foresters about the application of the tree housing it is possible to cook the saplings if installation is incorrect for your area. Planting Oaks is something we do for our future hunters because odds are by the time they start producing acorns we will be 6' deep, and of course White Oaks are the best for Whitetails

icon_headbang.gif

Top Bottom