Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Foliar Nitrogen

dbltree

Super Moderator
I recently learned about a foliar nitrogen product called Coron 28 from Helena Chemical. From what I have seen and read it produces amazing results when sprayed on growing corn, cotton, soybeans and vitually everything that can use nitogen. It's being used on lawns to fruit trees to rice fields.
None of the ususal forms of nitrogen can be applied directly to a growing crop with out burning it or losing most of it to the atmosphere, so this product is ideal for side dressing.
Many foodplotters don't have equipment to apply dry fertilizer and it can be a hassle handling it.
Coron 28 is applied at 1-3 gallons per acre and can be applied 2-3 times thru the growing season. It's not meant to be the only form of nitrogen for crops like corn, but some farmers are trying test plots and are very happy with the results.

I checked in Iowa and MO and it is only available in 250 gallon containers at $6 a gallon...yikes!

I finally found an on-line source that will have it shipped direct in a twin pack of 2 1/2 gallon containers for $18 a gallon plus shipping. I'm hoping to order a box today and do test plots on my brassicas this fall.

This seems like an ideal product for most of us since one could spray it on with anything from a back sprayer to a large ag sprayer. You can mix herbicides with it making it ideal to apply roundup at the same time.

My hope is that it will work to give my corn that quick boost next spring to get it beyond the "deer munching" stage.
The foodplotter who used this on his corn only used a quart per acre, as the only fertilizer...and it took off like it was shot out of a rocket!
bigshock.gif

Coron 28 Label

Tech Sheet

How it works

Coron + N on corn yields

Helena Chemical products

Online order source

I'm not saying this doesn't have it's uses, But to spend $6/ lb actual N instead of 35 cents........Or even $2 in bulk, it better be a miracle product.
grin.gif

In corn country side dressing with liquid 28-0-0 is becomming more common you may be able to find a cheaper source.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying this doesn't have it's uses, But to spend $6/ lb actual N instead of 35 cents........Or even $2 in bulk, it better be a miracle product.
grin.gif

In corn country side dressing with liquid 28-0-0 is becomming more common you may be able to find a cheaper source.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to ask a lot of questions myself...but here's a few things I learned.

This foliar fertilzer is in no way comparable to what farmers normally use. It's a different type of highly concentrated N, readly absorbed thru the leaves. So....it's not one for one, a gallon of Coron is more like 20+ gallons of UAN.

You can not put 28% UAN on growing crops...unless you want to fry it. In warm weather, without a rain both UAN and Urea are lost to the atmosphere within days...so side dressing with it is not an option.

Something else to think about...we are food plotters, with limited equipment.
If I have an acre of brassicas and an ATV sprayer I can use a couple gallons of Coron...versus what??? The only other possible N on growing crops is urea and this time of year it's like lighting cash on fire...doen't make sense
smirk.gif

I'm not selling this stuff...I just know all the problems that we face as small food plotters and I'm hoping this might be a viable option for many of us.
If I'm wrong...well it won't be the first time
grin.gif

Here's a link to fertilizer prices by unit and you can see that per unit, Coron is within pennies of other sources of N :

Fertilizer price compare

I remain skeptical.
grin.gif

It looks like 1/3 of the N in the coron is UAN and the rest is a slowrelease N in other urea forms, I haven't tried it but I'd bet 6-9 lbs actual N from liquid 28% in water wouldn't cause problems, and would be absorbed through the leaves just fine. Who wants to do a side by side trial?
cool.gif

I am with IA ML'r on this one. I do this for a living and see alot of these things. They DO work. It's just that so do other products that cost less. A pound of nitrogen is still a pound of nitrogen no matter what the source. As for applying them now, foliar applying fertilizer over beans at this time will give you a boost in production. As for corn, it depends how far along it is. It may or may not help at this point.

[ QUOTE ]
I remain skeptical.
grin.gif

It looks like 1/3 of the N in the coron is UAN and the rest is a slowrelease N in other urea forms, I haven't tried it but I'd bet 6-9 lbs actual N from liquid 28% in water wouldn't cause problems, and would be absorbed through the leaves just fine. Who wants to do a side by side trial?
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't blame you...but I'll let you test the UAN on your corn, I've already tried it and it burned it right to the ground.
crazy.gif

I'm all for tests and I'm even more for something better and I'm learning that there maybe something as good but cheaper on the market by next spring...I'm all for that!
waytogo.gif

Remember...were not talking about thousands of acres of crops here...talking about a 1/2 acre of turnips or 3-4 acres of corn. Most foodplotters on this forum are only going to be dealing with 1-5 acres. Who wants to go get a hundred gallons of UAN verus a few gallons of any concentrated liquid fertilizer? I'm also not trying to convince anyone to use it, only suggust it as a possible solution where there are no other options.

$20 bucks is well worth it to me just for convenience. Besides...when it comes to foodplots and hunting...who counts the costs
grin.gif
grin.gif

(I'm glad my wife doesn't read this
blush.gif
)

UAN on emerged corn

Here is more supporting information on the problems with Urea and UAN if NOT incorporated and why either are very poor choices to suface apply let alone to growing plants:

DENITRIFICATION, LEACHING, and SURFACE VOLATILIZATION OF N

Nitrogen Fertilizer Managment

Urea or UAN treated with Agrotain helps with denitrification problems, if you can locate a fertilizer dealer who carries it. So far I have not in my area. This is the basics of "slow release" fertilizer that is available for turf use.

Agrotain Urease Inhibitor

I happen to work for Helena Manufacturing in Des Moines, we make Coron 25-0-0 w/boron. Pretty much, besides the boron you can get all of the ingredients at your local coop and grocery Store.

[ QUOTE ]
I happen to work for Helena Manufacturing in Des Moines, we make Coron 25-0-0 w/boron. Pretty much, besides the boron you can get all of the ingredients at your local coop and grocery Store.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't suppose your going to give us the recipe are you Pete?? (it'll just be our little secret
grin.gif
)

Seems like these sorts of things come around every so often. I can recall a product called Wex...it was promoted as a soil additive that could dry out wet spots...or make dry areas hold water...pretty cool huh? And after a few years it was promoted as a soil additive to "activate" fertilizer or as a foliar to do something or other....Remember Nachurs? That was another foliar product to save the world from starvation.

Maybe being from Missouri makes me too much of a "Show-Me" person but it sounds like another version of Hondo Holy Water...

[ QUOTE ]
Seems like these sorts of things come around every so often. I can recall a product called Wex...it was promoted as a soil additive that could dry out wet spots...or make dry areas hold water...pretty cool huh? And after a few years it was promoted as a soil additive to "activate" fertilizer or as a foliar to do something or other....Remember Nachurs? That was another foliar product to save the world from starvation.

Maybe being from Missouri makes me too much of a "Show-Me" person but it sounds like another version of Hondo Holy Water...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm currently testing Coron myself but I can tell you from my own research that it does indeed work very well.

I'm also "researching" how to make my own "homebrew" version
and
looking at other foliar ferilizers and options including Nachurs which makes a very similier product.

Foliar fertilizer is not for everybody but it's an option for small food plotters who can apply it with a backpack sprayer or an ATV sprayer, at anytime plants are growing. No concerns about waiting for rain, getting a load of fertilizer, equipment and lining all that up with work
crazy.gif

For those that are interested...stay tuned. If what your doing is working well then this post will be of little interest to you
grin.gif

Nachurs-Alpine fertilizer

Nachurs 25-0-0

CRN Tech sheet

Monty's liquid fertilizer

Top Bottom