Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HF716/necked cartridge update

Need to contact everyone you know under his district to email him and let him know that they will no longer be voting for him and they are fed up with his crap. Does little good for people outside his district to get into pissing matches with him when it has no effect on his job status.

I just got the same response from Sentor W. Drew - I sent him this reply and will likely be seeing him at the next subcommittee meeting. Anyone else want to attend or take my place if my work schedule doesn't allow me to get away?
Matt,

Is this your canned response to anyone that emails you on this subject?

Here’s what perplexes me, you don’t hunt but each year propose all these “necessary” hunting regulation changes? What is driving these, personal agenda? Some request from the state to increase hunter participation? You need to get some education on the whitetail deer hunting resource the State of IA has before making any regulation change proposals. You also need to take the personal, gun shop owner agenda out of mind. This is ridiculous. You want to see a decline in hunter participation, start implementing more and more of these changes and the hunters with the bigger check book are going to really start leasing and buying up hunting land. Closing off even more of this limited resource the state of IA has. You want to make real impact changes to increase hunter numbers, start with becoming a hunter yourself. Work on implementing a hunter mentorship program. You want to ruin this very limited and fragile resource the State of IA has, all for personal gain to increase some short term supplies of the newest hunting rifle at your shop, then keep doing what your doing. But myself and others like me are going to fight tooth and nail against you. I’m all for gun rights, but conservation cannot be over looked and personal agendas cannot take priority. I will likely be seeing you at the next subcommittee meeting and look forward to educating you more on this subject.

I just got the same response from Sentor W. Drew - I sent him this reply and will likely be seeing him at the next subcommittee meeting. Anyone else want to attend or take my place if my work schedule doesn't allow me to get away?
I would like to but I have zero experience with guns! I’ve never killed a deer with a gun :D I don’t know the difference between a .369 Flanged Nitro Express from a .400 Jeffery:oops:

The only help I could be is “ I would say the bill is stupid and what the heck is going on”
Now if you or other members that are knowledgeable about guns and ammo go would be almost better than emails.

If you go I’ll help with gas money guaranteed. I’m sure we could get other members to help with gas money for others that go and have to drive a bigger distance ( Hint guys)

What is with you all. The sport is dying in Iowa. With each year, less and less of you bow hunters are in the field and the license counts are going down, and less people like us exist. We are a dieing breed. And when a bill comes out to expand the opportunities to get more people engaged and open up more options, you decry it....with false facts. This bill does not legalize straighwalls. Would you guys look up from your protected "bow hunter kingdom" for a moment and realize whats happening to our sport and our industry. The DNR has numbers to prove it. Each year, less and less of us get out in the field. Instead of beating up Pro 2A legislators why don't you work with us to get more people in the field.

I am the one that pushed and authored alot of this legislation. You want to ask questions, ask them here. There is an army of us hunters that are asking for this, we asked the legislators to do this. HUNTERS just like you. So here is your chance. Beat me up, beet a fellow hunter up. Ask me the tuff questions. We just want to get more youth and more people in the field. In 20 years, the DNR won't have any money to perserve any wildlife because you all have died off, and didn't do your job to encourage new people to get out in the field.

Is that the legacy you want to hand down?

This guy must have a part time job playing Bozo. He wants to better hunting and participation. He should spend his time advocating for the public lands that I'm sure he will vote to stop funding on

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

What is with you all. The sport is dying in Iowa. With each year, less and less of you bow hunters are in the field and the license counts are going down, and less people like us exist. We are a dieing breed. And when a bill comes out to expand the opportunities to get more people engaged and open up more options, you decry it....with false facts. This bill does not legalize straighwalls. Would you guys look up from your protected "bow hunter kingdom" for a moment and realize whats happening to our sport and our industry. The DNR has numbers to prove it. Each year, less and less of us get out in the field. Instead of beating up Pro 2A legislators why don't you work with us to get more people in the field.

I am the one that pushed and authored alot of this legislation. You want to ask questions, ask them here. There is an army of us hunters that are asking for this, we asked the legislators to do this. HUNTERS just like you. So here is your chance. Beat me up, beet a fellow hunter up. Ask me the tuff questions. We just want to get more youth and more people in the field. In 20 years, the DNR won't have any money to perserve any wildlife because you all have died off, and didn't do your job to encourage new people to get out in the field.

How does adding any new cartridges add more hunters? If people want to hunt there are plenty of options to do so.

I know plenty of people that have stopped hunting because they dont have access to anything decent. I know zero people that have stopped hunting because there isn't a caliber available to their liking.

Why doesn't the legislature promote access like MANY western states. Instead they are trying to stop anymore land from coming available.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Deleted by Ishi
Show…
"It doesnt legalize straightwalls". They are already legal. This state has plenty of opportunity with the weapon choices available. What more opportunity is this legislation going to open up? You want more youth in the outdoors you better change a hell of a lot more than the legal cartridges. You have to change the mindset of most of the society to get off the couch. Need to establish mentor programs or create opportunities. It is just as simple for anyone that wants to hunt to get their hands on a youth 20 gauge, a muzzy loader with 50 grains or 450 bushmaster. All those weapons are plenty manageable for the youths to shoot

Are you a legislator?!?!

How does adding any new cartridges add more hunters? If people want to hunt there are plenty of options to do so.

I know plenty of people that have stopped hunting because they dont have access to anything decent. I know zero people that have stopped hunting because there isn't a caliber available to their liking.

Why doesn't the legislature promote access like MANY western states. Instead they are trying to stop anymore land from coming available.

Thanks to straight walls last year I can finally get my kids out in the field. The stupid restrictions on shotgun only killed new participation and women/female participation in the sport. a 450 with a proper comp or a 77/44 is WAY better than a 20G for youth.

Please stop disguising that this entire thread is ANYTHING other than a bunch aging bow hunters that want to keep their monopoly on big game in Iowa. Please start thinking about other sportsman other than yourself, and the coming generations.

"It doesnt legalize straightwalls". They are already legal. This state has plenty of opportunity with the weapon choices available. What more opportunity is this legislation going to open up? You want more youth in the outdoors you better change a hell of a lot more than the legal cartridges. You have to change the mindset of most of the society to get off the couch. Need to establish mentor programs or create opportunities. It is just as simple for anyone that wants to hunt to get their hands on a youth 20 gauge, a muzzy loader with 50 grains or 450 bushmaster. All those weapons are plenty manageable for the youths to shoot

You are right. I meant to say hi-power. Thats my bad.

On your other topics, I am doing that as well. But while we can, we need to remove stupid and arbitrary restrictions in the code.

Thanks to straight walls last year I can finally get my kids out in the field. The stupid restrictions on shotgun only killed new participation and women/female participation in the sport. a 450 with a proper comp or a 77/44 is WAY better than a 20G for youth.

Please stop disguising that this entire thread is ANYTHING other than a bunch aging bow hunters that want to keep their monopoly on big game in Iowa. Please start thinking about other sportsman other than yourself, and the coming generations.
450s are legal now. You didn't answer my question. How does this new bill create more opportunity? I'll wait.

You might be surprised by the youth is this thread btw.

Calling me a aging bow hunter.... now its personal. Stick around Nathan I’ll be back later....

Nathan Gibson, would you support further expansion of rifle hunting beyond this bill (additional legal loads/calibers)?

450s are legal now. You didn't answer my question. How does this new bill create more opportunity? I'll wait.

You might be surprised by the youth is this thread btw.

Complex and confusing definitions, drafted by 2 guys at the DNR with no experience, lead to confusing, and conflicting regulation and rules. Many people don't want to hunt for fear of breaking some rule because the simply can't understand the DNR's AMAZING maze of if/then language. This is one (small) step in demystifying and bringing clarity into what is allowed, and what isn't allowed and alining it with federal code. We don't need to Iowa DNR guys making up firearms definitions.

It clearly defines minimum barrel length and caliber range (as you stated, already legal -- so I don't know what you guys are freaking out for) and demystifies the crazy sauce the DNR wrote on their own.

Finally, it allows parents to allow their kids to shoot with a pistol. Sure, there will be limited use of this, but adults can already do it. The government has no business telling a parent they can hunt with their kid with a shotgun/long gun but not a pistol. If there is even one youth that gets out next year with a pistol, and they otherwise wouldn't, that is a win.

So, by simplifying the code, it makes more people able to understand, and actually get out in the field and hunt.

So now its my turn...This bill is in NO WAY ALLOWING HIGH POWER RIFLES (which I think we should, but maybe one day), so what is yall's problem.

Nathan Gibson, would you support further expansion of rifle hunting beyond this bill (additional legal loads/calibers)?

Yes, yes I would. But we unfortunently don't have enough support for that. We have to wait for a few more generations for the old Bow Hunter generation to stop hunting/complaining, and then there will be enough support. That group, is single handily killing the sport in Iowa. Because of their desire to "not loose the big bucks to highpowers", less and less hunters are entering the field, which turns to less tags, and less licenses, which is having and huge impact on the DNR financing to take care of our natural resources.

The only thing stupid and arbitrary is what you are proposing. Loss of hunters in Iowa over the last decade has absolutely ZERO to do with Iowa's current laws and available weapons only a blind man can't see that. Go ahead and make every weapon known to man legal here in Iowa and see what happens. Come back in a few years and let me know how its going then. I normally consider myself someone who can see both sides of things and not get to irate but This is a joke. Hundred other things I'd like to add to this conversation but won't. My apologies.

The only thing stupid and arbitrary is what you are proposing. Loss of hunters in Iowa over the last decade has absolutely ZERO to do with Iowa's current laws and available weapons only a blind man can't see that. Go ahead and make every weapon known to man legal here in Iowa and see what happens. Come back in a few years and let me know how its going then. I normally consider myself someone who can see both sides of things and not get to irate but This is a joke. Hundred other things I'd like to add to this conversation but won't. My apologies.

Legalize high-power and I guarantee you would see almost a 30-50% increase in tags/license the next year.

OR, scratch hi-powers....lets just go back to shotguns and get rid of straight walls, and move the shotgun season to the beginning of the rut at the same time as bow season??? You guys okay with that? It gets rid of straightwalls and you are happy right????

The current laws have EVERYTHING to do with loss of hunters.

Top Bottom