Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How are the shot gunners doing?

Once again we agree Skip. Only way to shoot a smart old buck is to push a bunch to where he has no more "outs" makes me sad really. I root for the mature bucks to outsmart the the Orange army. More killing than hunting... I shouldn't even check these forums during gun season.

Or you could "bait" them with a food plot, wait for frigid temperatures and shoot them from rifle range with a smoke pole!

Once again we agree Skip. Only way to shoot a smart old buck is to push a bunch to where he has no more "outs" makes me sad really. I root for the mature bucks to outsmart the the Orange army. More killing than hunting... I shouldn't even check these forums during gun season.

I agree with you. The "orange army" went thru my neighbors farm Saturday. They were no more than 50 yards apart in a line. Honestly made me sick to my stomach. I know it is tradition for a lot of people, but it is not hunting and I won't be convinced otherwise. Luckily there weren't many deer staged in there that day. Many of them had two way radios which I thought was illegal?

Every single thread ends up bow vs orange army blah blah blah. Pushing and posting is hunting - it just may not be a form of hunting you prefer Pushing and posting was done by the native Americans and has been a form of "hunting" for thousands of years. It's strategy. I hunt both bow and gun and can see the frustration from
Both sides- but seriously- every single thread with the same comments non stop. If you dislike people partaking in the Orange Army- dont click on a thread that's asking ambout how shot gunners are doing this season. If I was a member of this site and all I did was gun hunt- I wouldn't share my stories and photos because they would certainly get scrutinized and bashed from someone

I agree with you. The "orange army" went thru my neighbors farm Saturday. They were no more than 50 yards apart in a line. Honestly made me sick to my stomach. I know it is tradition for a lot of people, but it is not hunting and I won't be convinced otherwise. Luckily there weren't many deer staged in there that day. Many of them had two way radios which I thought was illegal?

Sounds like you would be a good voice for peta. Do you consider pheasant hunting "hunting" and do you get the same sick feeling when watching pheasant hunters or is it just because we are talking about the majestic whitetail? Once again the deer are put on this invisible pedestal. What makes the whitetail so much better than any other game animal in our state? I believe most of you are caught up in the big buck tv show hype. Let's not forget hunting was built on tradition not food plots, warm box blinds and video cameras.

Our group filled 14 of 50 tags purchased 7 bucks and 7 does and that is over 9 different properties- we had decent numbers but let every young buck go and already chose to only take 1 doe per property for the season- obviously didn't hit that mark but was happy with the year. Freezers filled for everyone that needed it and a left many tags unfilled

Holy crap that's a ton of tags! Just wonder why you buy so many when you've already agreed to only shoot mature bucks and 1 doe per property? Maybe so you all can party hunt in different counties?

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Every single thread ends up bow vs orange army blah blah blah. Pushing and posting is hunting - it just may not be a form of hunting you prefer Pushing and posting was done by the native Americans and has been a form of "hunting" for thousands of years. It's strategy. I hunt both bow and gun and can see the frustration from
Both sides- but seriously- every single thread with the same comments non stop. If you dislike people partaking in the Orange Army- dont click on a thread that's asking ambout how shot gunners are doing this season. If I was a member of this site and all I did was gun hunt- I wouldn't share my stories and photos because they would certainly get scrutinized and bashed from someone

Exactly why I don't post a single photo. I just post when I get deer and how many for those that hunt the same area have an idea whats being harvested.

Sounds like you would be a good voice for peta. Do you consider pheasant hunting "hunting" and do you get the same sick feeling when watching pheasant hunters or is it just because we are talking about the majestic whitetail? Once again the deer are put on this invisible pedestal. What makes the whitetail so much better than any other game animal in our state? I believe most of you are caught up in the big buck tv show hype. Let's not forget hunting was built on tradition not food plots, warm box blinds and video cameras.

PETA...ha good one. Yeah gathering up 40 people in pick up trucks is real sporting, hunting from the road half the time (against the law) using two way radios (against the law), drinking and leaving beer cans all over the roads (against the law), walking wherever they damn well please (against the law).... yeah these are all great traditions.

Holy crap that's a ton of tags! Just wonder why you buy so many when you've already agreed to only shoot mature bucks and 1 doe per property? Maybe so you all can party hunt in different counties?

Even though we are "party hunting" everyone in our group really only shoots what they want. We don't pool the meat. So if you want to shoot a deer in a certain county we hunt- you need to have a tag for that county. Saves headaches of a person just shooting deer and not wanting them. If someone wants a deer and can't seem to get one on the ground we will shoot one for them. Make sense? Only time we really share tags are buck tags

PETA...ha good one. Yeah gathering up 40 people in pick up trucks is real sporting, hunting from the road half the time (against the law) using two way radios (against the law), drinking and leaving beer cans all over the roads (against the law), walking wherever they damn well please (against the law).... yeah these are all great traditions.

All that whining and you still never answered my question? Don't you have a phone? Or where you too sick to your stomach to use it? :( If you see it then why don't you turn them in? Don't come on the Internet and whine and play the poor me card.

The orange army on neighboring properties can be good or bad. In my area they push the neighboring timber and CRP. A good majority of the deer end up on my farm which has a lot of thick cover/bedding and food.

Many of the deer end up staying there as a result.

I watched one of their drives, the guys pushing pretty much stand close to their vehicles, the deer had them figured out.

All that whining and you still never answered my question? Don't you have a phone? Or where you too sick to your stomach to use it? :( If you see it then why don't you turn them in? Don't come on the Internet and whine and play the poor me card.

Are you a tough guy or you just play one on the internet? I'm simply voicing my opinion. Last time I checked we were all entitled to one. To answer your question, no I don't get sick to my stomach when I see pheasant hunters. I also don't see them 40 deep while breaking laws left and right. Have a good day and Merry Christmas.

True story: OK, one day 4 guys spread out along a couple of terraces and a fence line while two more "push" through a (640 acre) section of land with a few timber patches & a couple brushy draws. Usually up to a dozen deer are moved from this piece of ground and every so often maybe a mature doe gets harvested. On this particular day, a shooter buck is moved by the pushers and a mile away gets caught sneaking past a stander and is killed. First buck killed from this piece in the past 6 years. While butchering that buck, a piece of an arrow is found in a hind leg making it obvious that someone has attempted a "Texas Heart Shot" with a bow (entry wound 4" below the rectum). Should that member of the beleaguered "orange army" come on here and slam bow hunters as a group of unethical deer wounding slobs? :rolleyes: NOT! Come on guys, we need to quit throwing stones at each other! The battles we need to fight should be with the people who want all the deer dead &/or the people who don't want hunters to kill any of them.

Even though we are "party hunting" everyone in our group really only shoots what they want. We don't pool the meat. So if you want to shoot a deer in a certain county we hunt- you need to have a tag for that county. Saves headaches of a person just shooting deer and not wanting them. If someone wants a deer and can't seem to get one on the ground we will shoot one for them. Make sense? Only time we really share tags are buck tags

Yup. That's what I figured you had to be doing. We do it very similar just less tags.

True story: OK, one day 4 guys spread out along a couple of terraces and a fence line while two more "push" through a (640 acre) section of land with a few timber patches & a couple brushy draws. Usually up to a dozen deer are moved from this piece of ground and every so often maybe a mature doe gets harvested. On this particular day, a shooter buck is moved by the pushers and a mile away gets caught sneaking past a stander and is killed. First buck killed from this piece in the past 6 years. While butchering that buck, a piece of an arrow is found in a hind leg making it obvious that someone has attempted a "Texas Heart Shot" with a bow (entry wound 4" below the rectum). Should that member of the beleaguered "orange army" come on here and slam bow hunters as a group of unethical deer wounding slobs? :rolleyes: NOT! Come on guys, we need to quit throwing stones at each other! The battles we need to fight should be with the people who want all the deer dead &/or the people who don't want hunters to kill any of them.[/QUOTE/]:) Simply well put. We all know there are slobs in all kinds of hunting, but we can't let that become bow vs. gun. Stand together and fight the politics in deer hunting or all our traditions will be gone.

It's not the beer cans or the trespassing, the two way radios or shooting from the road, or even the large groups pushing the cover for me. It's all about the age of the bucks they kill and the absolute control they have on my next bow season. If the tradition included letting the three year old and younger bucks walk (or run), we would all have a more memorable tradition.

Are you a tough guy or you just play one on the internet? I'm simply voicing my opinion. Last time I checked we were all entitled to one. To answer your question, no I don't get sick to my stomach when I see pheasant hunters. I also don't see them 40 deep while breaking laws left and right. Have a good day and Merry Christmas.
So did you report them? Pretty sure the DNR would've made this group top priority. I agree about opinions, just some are better with stating theirs versus others.;)

I've never considered myself to be a tough guy nor an Internet tough guy. Your right, you have the right to your opinion but when you post it to the public it can turn into a debate. I guess I just singled you out and that's my bad. I've just been reading through a lot of threads lately where people are claiming to see all of this illegal activity but not one mention of reporting it? If you people want change, instead of getting on the Internet and telling fellow IW members about all your problems - take action. Make a phone call, write down the license plates, take pictures/video, or just do something other than coming on here and telling everyone about it in hopes that maybe you will get a pat on the back or a stroke from other members. As long as nobody says anything they will continue to get away with it and long as they are getting away with it they will continue to do it.

Top Bottom