Iowa Crush Cam

Discussion in 'Iowa Whitetail Conference' started by 203ntyp, Feb 21, 2020.

1. 203ntyp

203ntyp PMA Member

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. Hardwood11

Hardwood11 Trump 2020

Very cool.,

4. JNRBRONC

JNRBRONC Moderator

Meh.. not gonna look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muskrat24 likes this.
  5. sure shot

sure shot New Member

I don't know how much land they own, but don't get the idea this is typical Iowa deer hunting. This is a professional TV show hunter's private ranch - probably thousands of acres, professionally managed.

I saw that camera a few years ago. Didn't look at it much, but they were always giant deer swinging by one after another, not your typical Iowa day in the normal Iowa woods.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OMB and Muskrat24 like this.
  6. Slick

Slick Active Member

CWD assembly line factory:cool::eek:

MN Hunter, 203ntyp and Muskrat24 like this.
  7. IowaBowHunter1983

IowaBowHunter1983 Super Moderator Staff Member

That feeder is behind their house. They been running that cam for like 8 years.

chipterp likes this.
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Active Member

There's a BIG difference between hunting deer and farming deer deer. I personally LOVE hunting deer, talking about it and reading about it, etc. Farming deer doesn't blow my hair back in the slightest. Deer farming doesn't require enclosure fencing either... Killing a farmed deer isn't hunting, as far as I'm concerned. The increasing popularity of deer farming, and people bragging about farmed deer they killed, claiming they hunted them, turns my stomach. Major reason I went from enjoying many deer hunting Websites to despising them on some levels. Lakosky's are deer farmers and it's paid for by all of the people who buy into the eye candy they push, by mistaking it as actual hunting.

Change my mind.

203ntyp likes this.
  9. northcedar

northcedar Active Member

So where are the lines, in your opinion? To be a farmed deer?

10. Obsessed

Obsessed Active Member

There are different degrees of deer farming. 'Managed' private land where deer are photographed, named, followed, patterned, passed on for years before they're ripe for the picking, etc... Yep, that's farming, not hunting.

11. Hardwood11

Hardwood11 Trump 2020

Tell us how you do it? How is your way the right way?

12. northcedar

northcedar Active Member

I name the deer I've seen a few times things like "the wide 8" and "tall brow 10" and "broken brow 8". Sometimes these deer get passed up. At least I know what category I'm in now. I also have private land I pay hefty taxes on.

13. Obsessed

Obsessed Active Member

Any legal way is 'the right way'. I made no statements about right and wrong. I stated that I believe there is a difference between deer hunting and deer farming, and then I explained what I interpreted deer farming to be. Whatever blows your hair back, so be it, as long as it's legal. What the Lakosky's do, and what so many others work to emulate today, sure is pretty, but again, I consider it farming and don't find it appealing within an activity that I deeply enjoy. Just my opinion, take it or leave it, but my mind has yet to be changed about it.

14. Jdubs

Jdubs Well-Known Member

I think it depends on your situation. Rule of thumb is to manage a deer herd one needs at least 600 acres or more to have the ability to pick and choose, or harvest by age. Some have that ability and some do not. Can call it farming, managing, choosing etc. Makes no difference.

I personally don’t have that much property but still try to shoot mature deer, and usually do. My neighbors are fairly picky as well and combined we have a big chunk , so I guess we’re deer farming? Idk.

Obsessed likes this.
  15. Hardwood11

Hardwood11 Trump 2020

But you said it wasn’t hunting... but it actually is?

16. chipterp

chipterp PMA Member

Your mind would change immediately if you won the lottery and could buy their farms lol Then see how high your pedestal is your looking down from.

17. northcedar

northcedar Active Member

Some people would argue there's a big difference between people who solely deer hunt compared to others who also provide deer habitat. I don't claim to know or care where you are on the spectrum, but some people who just show up to hunt could be called "users" by others who have more skin in the game. If any guy or gal puts out X number of acres or plants of food, flowers, grasses, trees, etc. then I think they shouldn't be frowned upon for naming or photographing a deer. Still, I agree with you that it can get extreme, and to aspects I won't personally cross into. If it's legal, it then becomes up to one's own beliefs. Personally, I'm in the camp that food plots are ok, but I don't like feeders. Feeders all also illegal in my state, so it doesn't really matter. I wouldn't be shocked if they try to crack down on plots someday too.

Jbohn, Obsessed and Daver like this.
  18. Obsessed

Obsessed Active Member

Some people consider kicking up and shooting planted birds 'pheasant hunting', and some would consider catching fish where they're pellet fed daily, 'fishing'. Technically, they're correct... Same can be said for those who 'hunt' inside of tall fences.

Winning the lottery would probably ruin me, (never played), but it wouldn't change my mind about what I consider deer hunting and what I consider deer farming.

19. hillrunner

hillrunner PMA Member

Virtue signal much?

Hardwood11 likes this.
  20. Obsessed

Obsessed Active Member

Bwa! Burned by a liberal phrase coined in 2015. Ouch.

hillrunner likes this.
  21. Obsessed

Obsessed Active Member

Anybody want to accuse me of mansplaining next? It's been a while since I've gotten that one. ;)