Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

MDC Seedling Order Placed!!!

letemgrow

PMA Member
Here is what I got since I am focusing more on shrubs for browse and cover on the farm. :way:

1 bundle Roughleaf dogwood.

1 bundle Conservation Bundle: 5 seedlings each of the following for a total of 30 seedlings: American beautyberry, flowering dogwood, paw paw, red osier dogwood, golden currant, and arrowwood.

1 bundle Silky Dogwood.

1 bundle Extra-large Shumard Oak.

Good stuff Phil! Sent in mine to the Iowa State Nursery a few weeks ago...much smaller order this year after 4000 seedlings last year...:eek::D

I am planting elderberry and chokeberry in Ralls County Missouri. Last year I planted 25 chokeberries. They grew super but by June they were eaten to the ground. I will use some wire fencing on a few and try some thorny locust tree branches to deter deer on the others.

I am planting elderberry and chokeberry in Ralls County Missouri. Last year I planted 25 chokeberries. They grew super but by June they were eaten to the ground. I will use some wire fencing on a few and try some thorny locust tree branches to deter deer on the others.

I had the same problem with the chokecherries and black chokeberry I planted last year so thechokecherry (native) are for sure getting replanted since they seemed to be preferred browse. :way:

Of all the oaks available from MDC, why shumard oaks? You seem to be north of their normal range. Are you planning ahead for warmer weather or just adding some diversity?

Of all the oaks available from MDC, why shumard oaks? You seem to be north of their normal range. Are you planning ahead for warmer weather or just adding some diversity?

They grew well last year and they are a lumber valuable oak for my creek bottom. I also planted some cherry bark oak to see how well they would do up here, but the deer do not leave them alone long enough...they are still alive and growing. I am a few hours north of the Shumard Oaks native range so time will tell if they adapt here. I am not out much if they don't, but the growth so far has been good.

I was not planning ahead for warmer weather, but looking to add diversity to the red oaks I have while adding timber value. The one reds I have on the farm now are northern red, shingle and black oak.

If you have or have a friend with a tractor augur I can highly recommend for planting success & reducing sore backs. We planted several thousand trees a year for several years with planting dibbles and that hurts. With the tractor and augur, every 10 ft the driver hit a hole. It made for a really good planting hole and you could pack the soil really tight on the roots. I think it also reduced competition right around seedling. We ended up with close to 100% survival on 2k last year. If it's a friends augur, they just sit and comment from the seat but it is sure a lot easier than shovel/dibble.

I ordered 3600 from IL two weeks ago. Last week I blew a 2nd disc in my back so I'm going to be driving the tractor.

Last edited:
Yeah I have a tractor and an auger, my brother and I went in on one so I may have to try that out, I wanted to hear some input before I did tho since I do not know the long term affect of an auger hole as it affects seedlings. The roots do not just circle in the hole right, or did you have to scarify the edges to get the roots to extend out??

Top Bottom