Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Milo

BOWSTRING

Anyone planted this before. I'm looking for something easy to manage to replace the multi flora rose that I'm going to kill this spring? How tall does it get? Is it fairly easy to grow?
This will be in a bottom clearing in a small timber. (15acres)The plot will be about an acre unless I run out of gas cleaning it up.
Looking for something for cover and bedding and if they eat it it'll be a bonus.

Milo is grain sorghum and doesn't get real tall. It's been awhile since I stood in a field of milo but I'm thinking roughly 4 feet high.

milo.jpg

It's pretty sturdy and will stand up well but it may not be the ultimate screen. Forage sorghum or Egyptian Wheat can grow 8-10 feet tall and froms a great screen.

High winds and snow can flatten it this time of year but pictures just posted of EW showed it still standing fairly well.

Pheasants Forever has some great sorghum mixes so you might want to check with them as they have both short and tall versions (or did anyway)

PF Sorghum mixes

Growing milo

When planting soybeans and peas with milo Dual Magmum II provides excellent weed control for both. You must ask for "safened" sorghum seed however or buy safner and treat the seed yourself.

Dual MagnumII Herbicide label

Concep Seed Safner

Welter Seed-Sorghum and milo seed

Milo/soybean seed mix Keep in mind the planting rate is for haylage so one might need to cut it back slightly...;)

More about growing sorghum

Both Pheasants Forever and the National Wild Turkey Federation offer free or low cost sorghum amd milo seed and sometimes soybean seed so join both, support them and then take home some free seed! :)

Some key planting info from the above link...

A. Seedbed Preparation:

A seedbed similar to the one prepared for corn is also good for grain sorghum. The use of a cultipacker or corrugated roller after seeding often gives better stands. In warmer regions, reduced- and no-tillage systems are used for grain sorghum. Soil temperatures may be too cold for these systems in much of the Upper Midwest.
B. Seeding Date:

Grain sorghum should be planted when soil temperatures reach 60 to 65°F. Generally this is 15 to 20 days after corn planting or between May 15 and early June. Grain yields decrease as planting is delayed after early June. Most hybrids require 90-120 days to reach maturity, therefore late-planting as an emergency crop is not recommended.
C. Method and Rate of Seeding:

1. [*]Method of Planting:
    Plant grain sorghum in rows at a depth of 1 inch in heavy soil and 1 1/2 to 2 inches in sandy soil. Corn planters are probably the most common seeding equipment. It is important to place the seed in moist soil to obtain fast emergence of the seedling. A grain drill can also be used to plant the seed in narrow rows. Some adaptations in the grain seedbox may be necessary to isolate the seed above the hole. Some growers have attached small gas funnels above the holes in the seedbox and place the seed in the funnels. Commercial equipment is also available for most newer drills.

2. [*]Rate of Planting:
    Seed size will influence the pounds of seed to plant per acre. As a general rule, there are approximately 16,000 sorghum seeds per pound. Most sorghum hybrids average about 75% emergence. On soils of good fertility and adequate moisture, the recommended rate of seeding is 8- 10 pounds of seed in rows of 30-40 inches in width. At this rate of planting, seeds will be I to 1 1/2 inches apart in the row with a population of 100,000 to 120,000 plants per acre.
    On soils that are less fertile or more droughty, the seeding rate should be 5-6 pounds per acre.

3. [*]Row Width:
    The row width used will likely depend on the equipment available. During the last few years, there has been considerable interest in planting grain sorghum in narrow rows to boost grain yields. With narrow rows, greater distance between plants in the row must be planned in order to get the optimum plant population per acre. The main advantage of narrow rows is to attain more efficient use of moisture, soil fertility, and sunlight. Grain yields in Minnesota studies were 10-15% higher in 10-inch rows than in 40-inch rows. The primary disadvantage is that cultivation is not possible and weed control is dependent entirely on chemical herbicides.
D. Fertility and Lime Requirements:

Nutrient needs of sorghum closely resemble those of com in that sorghum uses relatively large amounts of nitrogen and moderate amounts of phosphorus and potassium. The grain in a 100-bushel per acre grain sorghum crop removes about 100 lbs. of nitrogen, 14 lbs. of phosphorous, and 14 lbs. of potassium.
A soil test is the most practical method of determining fertilizer needs. Apply phosphate and potash according to soil test recommendations where soil tests for P and K are low (L) or very low (VL). Use the nitrogen and maintenance phosphate and potash recommendations shown in Table 1. Lime soils to a pH of 6.0 to 6.5.

Nitrogen can be applied in the spring as a preplant application, at planting, or as a side dressing at cultivation. Appropriate N credits should be taken for manure and previous legumes to reduce N fertilizer rates. A starter fertilizer may be beneficial.
Table 1: Annual nitrogen, phosphate, and potash recommendations for grain sorghum.
<TABLE border=1 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=bottom rowSpan=3>Yield level

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=4>Nitrogen recommendation

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom rowSpan=2 colSpan=2>Phosphate and Potash
recommendation<SUP>1</SUP>​

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=4>Organic matter %

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom>< 2

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>2-5.0

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>5.1-10

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>> 10

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>P<SUB>2</SUB>O<SUB>5</SUB>

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>K<SUB>2</SUB>O

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>bu/a

</TD><TD vAlign=top colSpan=6>lb/a

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>50 to 100

</TD><TD vAlign=top>120

</TD><TD vAlign=top>100

</TD><TD vAlign=top>80

</TD><TD vAlign=top>60

</TD><TD vAlign=top>30

</TD><TD vAlign=top>30

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

F. Weed Control:

Early spring seedbed preparation followed by one or two shallow cultivations, just before planting sorghum will kill several generations of weed seedlings and give sorghum a chance to get ahead of the weeds. Timely cultivations of sorghum planted in 20-inch or wider rows during the early growing stages are highly important. Sorghum planted in narrow rows can not be cultivated, but it is a highly competitive crop and can dominate many weeds. Several herbicides are available to compliment cultural and mechanical practices. Quackgrass can be controlled with I qt/A of Roundup applied when the weed is actively growing and has 3 to 4 leaves. Other perennial weeds such as Canada thistle, milkweed and hemp dogbane should be suppressed the year before sorghum is planted.
Several selective herbicides can be used in sorghum.

Atrazine can be applied as a preplant incorporated, preemergence or postemergence herbicide.

Application rates are similar to those used in com, as are the concerns of atrazine carryover. If crops other than corn will be planted next year, do not use atrazine in sorghum. On the other hand, sorghum could be safely planted in fields with atrazine residues from previous years.

Dual and Lasso can be used as a preplant or preemergence treatment only when sorghum seed is treated with a safener. Your seed dealer may be able to obtain safener-treated seed for you. Dual and Lasso are excellent annual grass herbicides and could be used in combination with atrazine. If incorporated into the upper 2 inches of soil, they suppress yellow nutsedge.
Ramrod is chemically related to Lasso and Dual but can be used preemergence in sorghum without a chemical safener applied to the seed. It controls many annual grasses and can be mixed with atrazine to control a broader spectrum of weeds.

Buctril, Banvel and 2,4-D are labeled for use in grain sorghum for postemergence broadleaf weed control. Their use directions and rates are similar to those for corn.

Last edited:
We have a lot of milo fields around here, and i'd have to say it's my favorite crop to deer hunt on. When it's mature and still green, the bucks love to bed it in. The bucks were like clockwork in it this past September. About 30 minutes before dark, they'd stand up (usually 2-8 bucks) and start feeding. I hunted the 80 acre milo in September 9-10 times and the bucks were bedded in it every time. Once the milo started to dry and loose the green they stopped bedding in it, but continued to visit it daily.

When the snow gets deep, the milo is still there as a food source. Last December we got a descent amount of snow and a nasty icestorm, and the milo field had deer in it every day as the stalks were standing above the snow. The nearby soybean & wheat fields, didn't get 1/10 the traffic.

Just something to ponder. It's a real productive crop in the upland areas around here.

The biggest downsides are that I doubt it has as much nutritional benefits as other crops, and once it's mature it's very tough to shoot in. We had a big buck within 50 yards on a couple of occasions in September. But all we could see what the head of the deer, as the rest of the body was covered up by the Milo. And even with the ML, my wife didn't risk the shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I planted an acre of it this year and the deer do love to bed in it. I haven't seen sign of them eating it...yet, but I imagine in January when the feed starts to get scarce they won't be too picky.

It did bring in a group of 5-10 pheasants, not enough to hunt, but its fun to see them occasionally when bowhunting.

The turkeys love it as well. This fall I saw more turkeys on our property than ever before.

I planted the milo/soybean mix from Welters and it did great! Price is right too.

I hit the area twice with Rudd-up :D, then broadcasted 2 bags of urea and one bag of seed on ~1 acre (harrowed in). It was very very late going in, last week of August and possibly the first week of September if memory serves. And as a bonus, it's holding a few roosters too.

Some people have great luck with milo but for a food source attractive if there are not more desirable sources near by.

Corn and alfalfa generally trump milo, but if no other crops are near by or are gone in the late season they will hit it hard.

Very useful addition to one's habitat managment program! ;)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bowstring
Want it more for cover if they eat it also it's just a bonus. Deer like to bed in the area already just want to make it a little thicker for them and get rid of the briars. Might give it a try.
Anyone got some planting instructions?

This link will give you most of the info you need to know: Grain Sorghum (Milo)

It's not that much difference then corn so Atrazine will work as a herbicide and Dual Magnum II if the seed has been treated with a "safener".

Loves nitrogen an hates weeds but can be either row planted or broadcast. It's a little more drought resistant then corn and should be planted a little later then corn when soil temps warm up a bit.

I think some or all of the PF mixes are safened but I would check be fore using Dual. Stir in a 100#'s of actual N at planting and stand back! :)

Last edited:
We've had alot of succes with ther PF mix of grain sorghum & forage sorghum. The forage sorghum gets 8-10 ft tall, it is subject to being blown over by the wind at times, but the shorter grain sorghum will hold it up off the ground.

The deer love it on our area, but we do not have much corn nearby for competition. We have also planted climbing peas with the sorghum and have had good results with that as well.

Did you guys use any herbicide on that Jason, or just plant and let er go? I know you've had good luck with that mix.

We have tried a couple of different things, but have found that spraying atrazine as a pre-emergent works best for us. I don't really like working with atrazine, but it seems to be the most effective for weed control.

We tried spraying round-up as a pre-emergent, hoping that the sorghum & beans would get tall enough to out compete the weeds. That process did not work very well. I suppose it could have been a combination of the cooler, wetter weather that effected the growth of what we planted, but it did'nt take long for the weeds to catch up.

The climbing beans that we have been planting can only ne sprayed with a pre-emergent, at least as far as I know. So that restricts what you can use.

I was planning on planting some milo and forage beans this spring, and wondering how to handle the weed control. I was going to spray with round-up after first green up, but after the milo and beans come up would I be able to use select for grass control,and would 2-4db work for broadleafs, or would I have to use something else. Thanks

Select is a grass herbicde that will kill milo and corn

2-4DB is labled for soybeans but read the lable! Butyrac 200

It is not as effective as 2-4D so control may be limited.
Postemergence Broadleaf Herbicides for Soybeans

Dual Magnum II is a pre-emergence herbicide that is very effective if you use safened sorghum seed.

Last edited:
Re: Milo and soybeans

Originally Posted By: whitetailnut
I am interested in trying my own soybean/milo plot this year.

What month would be best for maximum forage growth by fall. Hoping they will feed on the beans through the summer and possibly the milo in late late season.

Also any help on what ratio to mix the seed?

And I'm assuming urea is great for both??? Thanks

I'm guessing in your area that late May would be fine to plant a mix of soybeans and milo.

Welters Soybean Milo Mix is planted at 150#'s per acre while milo alone is roughly 10-15#'s per acre.

That should give you some idea if you mix your own.

Milo loves nitrogen so urea tilled in just before planting would sure feed both even though the beans don't need it, they'll be happy to use it!

Anywhere from 200-300#'s of 46% urea will make for some awesome sorghum growth but 40-80#'s of P&K per acre might be needed as well.

I would soil test for corn and you'll be covered in that respect.

Eagle Forage Seed has some awesome vining/climbing soybeans if you can locate some in your area.

Last edited:

I planted some pheasant milo plots this year with my no-till GP drill. We worked the ground smooth in late May, then waited a week till a big flush of weeds came. Sprayed this flush with a little R'up, after it dryed I drilled the milo in.Didn't spray again and had excellent weed control. I divided my drill into 3 sections. one had straight grain milo, one forage sorghum, and the other about 75%grain milo and 25% forage sorghum. Late season hunting the forage sorghum had fallen over on top of the short stuff and made excellent pheasant cover and feed. We shot two birds out of it in Jan. and their crops were absolutely stuffed with milo, even tho there were corn fields next door.

Any idea how many #'s per acre you planted? Sounds like an awesome mix...I really like the sorghum mixes that PF offers!

Not sure. I believe the drill was set for 30# but we used some old seed mixed in so I don't know what the final pop. was.

Originally Posted By: Baran
Why does welter seed list it as 150lbs per acre but the Pheasants forever mix is only 25lbs and is listed for 4-5 acres.
Has anyone mixed millet in with the milo blend?

The Welters mix is heavy on soybeans while the PF mixes I know of are pure milo/sorghum mixes of varying degrees and they are meant to serve different puposes in different situations.

The Welter mix is meant for making silage or hay and not for grazing although in most cases deer would thin the soybeans anyway.

Planting a plot for heavy deer grazing is not the same as planting a plot for birds... ;)

I haven't mixed in millet and I suspect that the milo/sorghum would be to tall and dominant unless one mixed it very light on milo.

Last edited:

Originally Posted By: dbltree

I haven't mixed in millet and I suspect that the milo/sorghum would be to tall and dominant unless one mixed it very light on milo.

Millet gets tall with some types getting 8-9 feet tall. I thought it would make a good blend in with milo. I was wondering if anyone has used it.

Millet is in some of the PF mixes and it will grow in the mix. If I'm not mistaken, it looks somewhat like giant foxtail? It makes a very small seed and I'm not sure about it's contribution to the total lbs. of feed per acre. If you use Dual for weed control I would think it would hurt millet, but I'm not sure.

There are several types of millet that are great for birds but not so sure about deer?

Several pics and varieties listed here: Millet Varieties

Dual controls foxtail so I'm with turkeyriver...I think it would nuke the millet...

I'll be planting some sorghum here in the next few weeks, plenty early yet as sorghum generally is planted more in line with soybeans then corn. Perhaps it is not as frost tolerant as corn or just prefers warmer soils but in any event don't be in a rush to plant it to early in the spring.

Planting rates vary but 20-30# per acre is roughly a reccomend rate, sowing sorghum to thick will cause it to compete against itself for available nutrients and soil moisture and to thin will allow weeds to invade.

If broadcasting, lightly drag or cultipack the seed to cover or plant with a grain drill.

Like corn or any grass, sorghum loves itrogen and hates weeds!

On most soils it could thrive with just nitrogen but soil testing would ensure that P&k levels are up to snuff. I work with wahtever is available in my area and in my case triple 13 applied at 200#'s per acre gives me 26#'s per acre of N-P-K and then 100#'s of 46-0-0 urea puts me up over 70#'s total actual nitrogen per acre.

If nothing else, feed sorghum plenty of N by tilling in 150#'s of urea just before planting and it will do very well for you!

The nitrogen of course will encourage a flush of weeds but atrazine applied at planting will solve that problem. I spray right after planting at 2-3 quarts per acre of atrazine or if no-tilling add 1-2 quarts of roundup.

Atrazine presents a problem because it is a restricted use pesticide requiring a license to purchase, so this means plotters often need to hire it done or locate a friend with a RUP license.

Atrazine 4L label

Dual Magnum II herbicide provides and answer as it is not restricted, however it is expensive at nearly $300 for a 2 1/2 gallon jug. Sorghum seed needs to be "safened" with Concep to be allow the use of Dual with out harming the sorghum but most seed from Pheasants Forever is treated and safe to plant with Dual.

Dual is commonly available at most farm elevators and is used on both corn and soybeans as well as sorghum.

Dual II MAGNUM® is a selective herbicide, labeled for preplant surface-applied, preplant incorporated or pre-emergence application, providing long-lasting control of most annual grasses and small-seeded broadleaf weeds.

Be sure to follow the label instructions!

Dual Magnum II label

Cinch is a generic version of Dual that is a little less costly form of
S-metolachlor

DuPont™ Cinch®** herbicide provides weed control in corn, cotton, peanuts, pod crops, potatoes, safflowers, grain or forage sorghum, and soybeans.

Cinch herbicide label

The nice thing about using S-metolachlor is that one can add soybeans to the sorghum mix and still control weeds. The sorghum will somewhat protect the soybeans while they are young and in doing so give you a better chance of a late fall/early winter food source along with some screening cover. :way:

Last edited:
Great info Paul as I am getting ready to order some seed for a 5 acre plot I have prepped. One question though:

Pheasants Forever offers a "Covey Rise Sorghum Mix" that is a 25# bag for $59 "includes S & H." Says it will plant up to 5 acres.

Welters on the other hand offers "Milo/Grain Sorghum" that is a 50# bag for $22 but says it will do 2 acres. So correct me if I'm wrong but that is 25# of seed per acre. How can PF's 25# do 5 acres??? Guess I am just needing to know what seed YOU GUYS would buy. This is going to be a shelter crop around a clover plot. Thanks
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

What is the mixture in Covey Rise? Perhaps there are more seeds per pound in it and spacing should not be dense? My second thought - PF seems to like annual weeds in plots (for example, they always seem to recommend leaving a plot alone the year after and just letting the weeds fill it in.). I imagine that they are having you plant it thin in the hopes of annuals filling in the gaps.

Milo and AWP's combo

Hello guys,
It has been a slow start on plots for me this spring, as my river bottom farm land is just starting to dry out. I have got about 1/3 of my summer plots done so far.

I want try something a bit different...I am planting milo in a 6 acre field. I will be planting it at 30 inch rows and a target rate of about 10 lb/acre. I will use starter fertilizer as well. The Welter Seed Co web site says 25lb/acre - but that seems pretty strong based upon my experiences in the past, so I am going to shoot for the 10lb unless I hear from someone here that says "go to a higher rate". I will be using my JD 7100 4-row no-till planter for this task.

I also have 150lbs of Austrian Winter Peas on hand. I thought that after planting the Milo, that I would drill the AWP at 20 to 30 lb/acre over the top of my Milo using my Great Plains NT drill at 7.5 inch spacing. The AWP's will be innoculated.

Note that the soil is very rich and fertile. The soil has been tested for fertility and the ph is at 7.2 - this plot was underwater quite a bit this past year...with last summers flood, and unusually high spring river levels this year. It is almost like "free fertilizer" I guess.

While I realize that a soybean and milo combo has been extensively discussed and is quite common...the AWP and milo combo has yet to be dealt with on this board (I believe). Does anyone see any problems with this combo and the rates? I appreciate the timely feedback, as I want to jump on this tomorrow before the rain that is forecast for the weekend.

Thanks,
Mike

I would say you are in the ballpark regarding planting rates

Method and Rate of Seeding: Milo
  1. Method of Planting:
  1. Plant grain sorghum in rows at a depth of 1 inch in heavy soil and 1 1/2 to 2 inches in sandy soil. Corn planters are probably the most common seeding equipment. It is important to place the seed in moist soil to obtain fast emergence of the seedling. A grain drill can also be used to plant the seed in narrow rows. Some adaptations in the grain seedbox may be necessary to isolate the seed above the hole. Some growers have attached small gas funnels above the holes in the seedbox and place the seed in the funnels. Commercial equipment is also available for most newer drills.
  1. Rate of Planting:
  1. Seed size will influence the pounds of seed to plant per acre. As a general rule, there are approximately 16,000 sorghum seeds per pound. Most sorghum hybrids average about 75% emergence. On soils of good fertility and adequate moisture, the recommended rate of seeding is 8- 10 pounds of seed in rows of 30-40 inches in width. At this rate of planting, seeds will be I to 1 1/2 inches apart in the row with a population of 100,000 to 120,000 plants per acre.
    On soils that are less fertile or more droughty, the seeding rate should be 5-6 pounds per acre.
  1. Row Width: The row width used will likely depend on the equipment available. During the last few years, there has been considerable interest in planting grain sorghum in narrow rows to boost grain yields. With narrow rows, greater distance between plants in the row must be planned in order to get the optimum plant population per acre. The main advantage of narrow rows is to attain more efficient use of moisture, soil fertility, and sunlight. Grain yields in Minnesota studies were 10-15% higher in 10-inch rows than in 40-inch rows. The primary disadvantage is that cultivation is not possible and weed control is dependent entirely on chemical herbicides.

Soybeans also make a great addition to a milo planting but let us know how the milo/AWP combo works out...:)

Milo will need 1.1 pounds of nitrogen per bushel of expected yield. The exact choice of nitrogen is not important, but it is important that it be properly applied to avoid any losses. Phosphorus response in grain sorghum is quite high, particularly on poorer fields. Most top producers are not satisfied with low or medium phosphorus tests on owned land. They would like to move those soil test levels to almost 20 ppm. Starter fertilizer provides for readily available nitrogen and phosphorus. By helping the plants get off to a fast start it also will reduce weed competition. In addition, crop rotation is a must for most producers.

Grain Sorghum

Last edited:
In the past I have had good success planting soybeans and milo at the same time. I would put milo in the first and third rows and then soybeans in the 2nd and 4th rows. Then I planted twice so my rows were about 17 inches apart and every other row was bean then sorghum. The pheasants enjoyed it. I also sprayed a mix of RU and metulaclor (sp?) which was safe for both if the milo was safened. good luck. 8-10lbs is about right for sorghum. you could do the same thing with AWP probably.

S-Metolachlor (Dual Magnum II or Cinch) provides awesome weed control and makes the milo/soybean marriage work very well!

Here's a list of approved crops which does include peas:

DUAL II Magnum herbicide provides selective weed control in:
Corn * (hybrid, silage, seed, sweet)
Soybeans
Dry common beans ([FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Phaseolus vulgaris[/FONT][/FONT])
Snap common beans (yellow and green)
Lima beans
Potatoes
Sugar beets
Transplanted tomatoes
Rutabagas
Sweet white lupins
Peas (grown for processing)
Fruit trees (bearing and non-bearing)
Second-year or older poplar stoolbeds
Second-year or older transplant or seedling stock of:
White Spruce, Norway Spruce, Black Spruce, White Pine, Jack Pine and Red Pine
Transplanted broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower
Newly planted strawberries

The label mentions that Dual can be applied pre-emergence on peas and of course milo if the seed has been safened:

Dual MagnumII Label

Thank you for the timley replies last week. I got everything planted and fertizilized prior to a much needed 1.25 inch rain fall. I ended up at about 12.72lb/acre on the milo (made notes in journal to reduce the target rate next time - if seed heads are small or stunted) at 30 inch centers, and 27 lb/acre on the AWP at 7.5 inch centers.

The milo seed was not "safened" or treated...so it looks like I will not be able to spray anything except glyphosate (prior to plant emergence) on this field. Hopefully, I will get sufficient early canopy to supress weeds. The field is pretty clean in general though...with the exception of some sporadic pesky yellow nutgrass.

I will keep the forum posted on what I learn from this combo.

Mike H

Remember you can buy seed safener...check the front page for a source ;)

We seem to be under a constant deluge of rain here in SE Iowa this year with another 3+" hitting us the other night, so I've given up on planting any milo this year, however...

I came across this ISU test showing how field peas could be double cropped with soybeans or milo and was surprised that milo planted in early July did very well!

Field Pea Rotation study

In the study field peas were planted in very early spring, harvested in early July and then re-planted with either soybeans or milo.

The soys did poor to fair but the milo yield 86 bushel per acre!

Something to consider during wet years and for food plots mixing the milo and soybeans can be an awesome food plot! ;)

Last edited:
Last year I planted some milo the 1st week of july and it did very well. I plan on planting some this weekend if it stays dry till then.

I've also been looking all over for some safened milo but so far haven't been able to find any treated with concep. Anyone know where a guy might be able to pick some up and what kind price difference is there compared to regular old milo?

I also ran across Brawl herbicide from Tenkoz at the local co-op. It's another generic of Dual and runs about $86 for 2.5gal.

Usually the milo that Pheasants Forever offers is safened so you might check with your local chapter through your county conservation board.

Dual Magnum II contains S-metalachlor while most generics do not (only metalachlor) which requires more per acre so just keep that in mind when comparing prices.

Generic herbicides may not be bargain

Just wanted to give a follow up on my milo/millet plot from last fall. I ordered the deer plot mix and an extra bag of milo from Welters last summer. The seed was great and my only problem was that I broadcast it and got it too thick. I didn't add any nitrogen and I don't think it was able to reach its full height. It did get about 4 feet tall in the best spots. That being said it is the ONLY thing left standing as thick cover for several sections. We had ice, wind, rain and snow and it stood up to everything Mother Nature threw at it and should become great nesting habitat for some turkeys and pheasants this spring. In my neck of the woods the deer barely touched it. The snow was very deep and the seed pods were exposed leading me to think that they would use it as a food source. I saw where they bedded in it but didn't browse it much. I am guessing the birds will utilize the remaining seeds this spring and summer so it will benefit some of the wildlife. My question now is what to do with it this fall? Do I burn it off? Mow it off? Then what could I put back in its place that may draw more attention from the deer? I am sure I will have to add nitrogen or something since my over-seeding probably leached out what little nutrients were in the ground to start with. Any ideas what to follow it up with would be appreciated! :way:

Top Bottom