Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Miscanthus x Gianteus

I am going to buy some rhizomes next year BUT only if I can plant them on lower ground. They will be for a road screen, probably need a couple hundred of them. Dbltree, you looked at my low ground before (rarely ever floods but could- very fertile)- seem like that area would be ok? And, from what I previously read- Atrazine resistant- I will likely treat the areas the same as switchgrass, just making sure.

My planting is on exactly that same type of ground Skip, so I'll keep you posted....;)

Well I think I have at leats one "baby" Miscanthus coming up!:way:

Miscanthusseedling5-29-09.jpg

I killed everything prior to planting with an atrazine/roundup cocktail so I'm pretty sure it's miscanthus

Miscanthasplanting5-29-09.jpg

I'm hoping warmer weather will get more of it sprouting up! With a little planning this stuff can create awesome funnels, poacher screens and even thermal cover for bedding in winter months.

Once I know it's up and growing I'm going to "feed" it...I don't care what they say, grass LOVES nitrogen!;)

Giant Miscanthus ([FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Miscanthus [/FONT][/FONT]x [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]giganteus[/FONT][/FONT])

<DIR>
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Giant Miscanthus ([/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Miscanthus [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]x [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]giganteus[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]) is a warm-season Asian grass showing great potential as a biomass crop in Illinois; at several Illinois sites, research plantings of Giant Miscanthus have produced greater yields than switchgrass. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]• Giant Miscanthus is sterile and is propagated by rhizome division. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]• To grow Giant Miscanthus, plant rhizomes approximately 4-inches deep and 3-feet apart within rows and 3-feet between rows. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]• Weeds must be controlled during the planting season to ensure a successful planting. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]• Stems of Giant Miscanthus are harvested in winter when dormant. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]• To date, there have been no biomass losses due to insects or diseases. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]

</DIR>[/FONT]
[/FONT]
miscanthus2.jpg

miscanthus1.jpg

Last edited:
Well...I think I have a miscanthus growing?

Miscanthuson6-26-09.jpg

I have switchgrass and other native grasses growing in the area so anything is possible, but this plant is growing directly out of the furrow I planted the rhizomes in.

The area I planted them in is low and wet and this year has been exceptionally wet, if not downright soggy.

Now that more normal hot, humid summer weather is here I'm hoping for more growth so we'll keep and eye on it and see what happens....:)

Wasn't the plant supposed to be like 8' first year or something crazy like that?! then like 12' the second year? Some claim like that. Maybe I'm wrong.

My trouble and QUESTION is every fast growing thing I've ever planted- it never grows like they claim. For instance, these hybrid willows are supposed to be like 6-10' by the 2nd year in some of the claims- might have some that are waste high now. I am darn good about weed control BUT seems like MOST the claims out there from folks promoting the stuff doesn't live up correctly to the claims.

What is the factual growth rates 1st, 2nd, 3rd year of M. X G. if it has no competition and good growing site?

I would say a lot of those claims are made using that plants ideal site. Some are pretty site specific and growth rates decline a lot in other areas. Black walnut is a great example. Eastern Gama grass claims 6-8 tons of hay per acre, but I doubt anyone gets that one a clay hillside. That grass grows fast and produces tons, but those numbers would only be reached on primo spots.

I am glad to see that plant is sterile since we do not need anymore exotic plants taking over.

What is the factual growth rates 1st, 2nd, 3rd year of M. X G. if it has no competition and good growing site? <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I really have no idea because this is my first year but I would keep in mind that this is a warm season plant and we have had extremely cool wet weather this spring.

Growth should be rapid during the next two months but until the plants become established (just like all native grasses) growth will not be at it's peak.

I'll keep posting progress pics and we'll find out...;)

Here is some 2nd year plants. With all the rain this year they are 6.5 to 7 feet tall. The short stuff on the left in the first picture is transplanted rhizome this year. I had sprayed 2-4D two weeks ago.
picture.php

picture.php

Wow! That's what I'm talkin' bout! That's some awesome growth right there, thanks for sharing! :way:

Here is some 2nd year plants. With all the rain this year they are 6.5 to 7 feet tall. The short stuff on the left in the first picture is transplanted rhizome this year. I had sprayed 2-4D two weeks ago.
picture.php

picture.php
Here are those same plants today in full bloom. They are 1 1/2 yrs. old and over 10'.
4039-grass1.jpg

SWEET! Where did you guys get your starters from again?

OneCam did sell a few of his own this past spring but you can find them on ebay also, early in the spring.

I think I will try to start one or more in the garden to use as "mother plants" to seperate rhizomes from to plant in the field.

Dividing plants sets them back but one or two at home can be "babied", watered and fed to induce rapid growth and provide "babies" to plant afield...;)

The stuff I tried in full sun only got about 4 to 5 foot tall the second year, the stuff on the edge of a plot in the woods got 9 to 10 feet tall.

Short
_000_0112.jpg

Tall
_000_0110.jpg

_000_0111.jpg

The stuff I tried in full sun only got about 4 to 5 foot tall the second year, the stuff on the edge of a plot in the woods got 9 to 10 feet tall.

I wonder if that side hill was to dry perhaps? The flat semi-shaded areas may have had more moisture or just more fertile soil?

Interesting either way...thanks for sharing the pics!:way:

Well I just ordered 10 of these. Let me hear some updates on how everyone is liking/disliking their miscanthus. Hopefully they don't all die out on me. :confused:

With how few most guys are planting, maybe these would be worthy of some nitrogen/fertilizer? Heck, if you have 10-50 of these, wouldn't be that big of deal. Hope to see more pics of folks success or challenges with this as well. I'm still on the screens varying from corn, egyptian wheat, trees that will take a while- cedar, willow, swamp oak (very impressed with swamp oaks), shrubs, etc. I likely will do some MxG with atrazine & nitrogen. Keep the updates coming!

With how few most guys are planting, maybe these would be worthy of some nitrogen/fertilizer? Heck, if you have 10-50 of these, wouldn't be that big of deal. Hope to see more pics of folks success or challenges with this as well. I'm still on the screens varying from corn, egyptian wheat, trees that will take a while- cedar, willow, swamp oak (very impressed with swamp oaks), shrubs, etc. I likely will do some MxG with atrazine & nitrogen. Keep the updates coming!

That's my plan Skip...I am planting some near the house to use as mother plants and I will be "feeding" them like a 4-H calf! :D

I am using them for a screen in a foodplot that is right out my back door. I should be able to keep a close watch on them and water/fertilize them whenever needed. I am thinking I might even put down some landscape fabric around them once they come up and even mulch around them. I am a little worried about winter kill the first yr. though. Think there would be a way to insulate them during the winter? I wonder if a guy could put some like 2" styrofoam around them to help keep the frost out from around them?

Top Bottom