Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Necked cartidge bill returns HF 716

Fishbonker

Life Member
Same bill as last year. The bill was brought back today. It passed the House last year on a 57-40 vote and was sent to the Senate where the subcommittee met but I don't believe they made any recommendations on the bill.

The subcommittee was also reappointed today and a meeting is set for tomorrow, 2/11/20.

Link to the bill: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ga=$selectedGa.generalAssemblyID&ba=hf716

Subcommittee:

Senator Chris Cournoyer, Senate District 49 (Clinton and part of Scott counties) Email address: chris.cournoyer@legis.iowa.gov Legislative web page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=27004

Senator Tom Shipley, Senate District 11 (Union Adams and parts of Cass ad Pottawattamie counties) Email address: tom.shipley@legis.iowa.gov Legislative web page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=14814

Senator Claire Celsi, Senate District 21 (parts of Polk and Warren counties) Email: claire.celsi@legis.iowa.gov Legislative web page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=27000

Time is short, let them know you haven't changed your mind. Send an email tonight.

There are at least three threads on this bill from last year.

This what I sent to all three Senators on the subcommittee:

Title:

HF 716 an act relating to firearms requirements for hunting deer

Body:

Senators, my opposition to this bill remains unchanged from last year. Please do not move the bill from your subcommittee.

Thank you.

Your name
Where you live (I just used my city)

Pretty simple stuff. Copy and paste if you want. If you live in their districts be sure and mention that.

Done. 3 hours of parent teacher conferences with no parents gives me plenty of time to send stuff. fun fun

Anyone else get a reply from Cournoyer? Got one stating they are waiting to hear more and gather info. Weapons and seasons arent changing just cleaning up wording.

Anyone else get a reply from Cournoyer? Got one stating they are waiting to hear more and gather info. Weapons and seasons arent changing just cleaning up wording.

I received one like yours from the sound of it. I’m not 100% sure what she means about cleaning it up and the code thing?

6ea226b29fc48778114f4cbbd3ab30a6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I received one like yours from the sound of it. I’m not 100% sure what she means about cleaning it up and the code thing?

6ea226b29fc48778114f4cbbd3ab30a6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same message. I also wasn't sure what she was referring to. Theres gotta be someone smarter than us who can break it down

I got same response. I replied and pointed out that "straight wall" is crossed off and what that means in terms of ammo/weapons.

There is no doubt that this is being pushed by certain folks as a way to "clean things up", but in reality it is further expansion and one step closer to full inclusion of high power rifles.

Here's what i read in the bill as worded currently:
- would make any cartridge with a bullet diameter from .350 to .500 legal for handgun - eliminating the straight wall requirement to simplify things and eliminate the "list" of allowable cartridges
- could establish a separate handgun season for hunting deer
- would then allow those same cartridges to be legal for youth, handicapped and both shotgun seasons by anyone - but in a Rifle

I think they are trying to simplify the handgun cartridge requirements by eliminating the list of allowable cartridges but that would therefore open up all those same cartridges to shotgun seasons with no list.
Therefore, you could use a 375 H&H, a 416 Rigby or a 460 weatherby magnum to hunt deer in Iowa - or any other wildcat cartridge you could develop.
Is it an unintended consequence or is that intentional? Will they follow this up by opening up the cartridge diameters in the future to allow .223, etc??

And for those that don't know me - I am NOT anti-gun. I am a licensed gun dealer and a Patron Life Member of the NRA

My interpretation may be wrong - please correct me if I am

If this bill DOES NOT HAVE the case length restriction of 1.8"...this is a Gateway bill to allow all rifle cartridges...

A 1.8" case length restriction would limit the allowable cartirdges to the AR style necked cartridges (and others) such as the ....375 Raptor, .375 SOCOM. .458 SOCOM...

NO 1.8" case length limit, this will allow necked cartridges such as the .375 RUM and the .416 Barret... 1000 yard to 1 mile shots, are a cake walk with those calibers

If this bill DOES NOT HAVE the case length restriction of 1.8"...this is a Gateway bill to allow all rifle cartridges...

A 1.8" case length restriction would limit the allowable cartirdges to the AR style necked cartridges (and others) such as the ....375 Raptor, .375 SOCOM. .458 SOCOM...

NO 1.8" case length limit, this will allow necked cartridges such as the .375 RUM and the .416 Barret... 1000 yard to 1 mile shots, are a cake walk with those calibers

I see nothing about case length in the bill and it specifically strikes out "straightwall" in a few places and adds "or other" in other places
- the list of allowable cartridges would include many we do NOT want to become legal to hunt with in Iowa

You are correct...there is NO 1.8" case limit in this bill.

The 1.8" case limit basically limits the amount of powder a case can hold (yes, I know I'm being Captain Obvious here)

No case length limit, no limit on the powder (except how big of a case/bolt face you action has).

Magnum bolt face, Lapua bolt face, Chey-Tac bolt face...the .50 BMG is not allowed by this bill language as is it techically a .510" bore. But the .416 Barret is just as good or better anyway... and that would be allowed by this bill...and that is a 2 mile gun

Done. I"m getting really worn out from this stuff. Year after year a constant barrage of changes like this. Seems a trend to broaden "opportunities", take money away from the DNR, mainly in the name of "kids". Crazy. I have kids I'm introducing into hunting now. Don't need any of these new changes to make that happen. None. :)

Top Bottom