Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

no tag for non-resident land owner

[/ QUOTE ]

Late season antlerless rifle quotas should put a dent in the big buck population that our "No gun in rut" policies are trying to protect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain.

Late antlerless season will be going a week later if I'm understanding it correctly... LOTS of shed bucks will get nailed accidentally. I think that an early antlerless season would be more beneficial. Does taken out and it would educate a few bucks making them smarter and maybe making it that one more year to grow to maturity.

I see. Bucks mistakingly shot as does. Sounds like a great mgmt plan.
confused.gif

No matter how great of a management plan you have, or how careful YOU are, there is always somebody that makes a mistake. Small shed bucks could look like big does etc. Nobody is perfect. Experienced hunters have shot bucks in the late season. It happens. The only cure would be to make it earlier in the year as Muddy said.

[ QUOTE ]
The main reason we have great deer hunting is that IA doesn't allow guns during the rut.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an accurate statement, but not completely accurate. Kansas has no gun season during the rut and the quality of our hunting has dropped drastically the last decade because we allow non-res. landowners tags every year, along with everyone else with big enough pocketbooks. Be very careful what you wish for, Iowa will be just like Kansas within five years if they liberalize non-res. access. The question is where will the whitetail hot-spot be then? These threads are so depressing, why can't I stop reading them? Glutton for punishment I guess...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The main reason we have great deer hunting is that IA doesn't allow guns during the rut.

I will also have to disagree, IL does allow guns during the rut and except for a few counties where the entire county is leased up the deer hunting in IL is just as good as across the river. Sure big boys get hammered during the rut with the guns but alot of big deer get popped in IA during the gun seasons also. The only advantage to having a gun season during the rut is if you make if for yourself and stand hunt and don't drive deer. Once the push is on the big boys know and will take cover for the week.

Additionally, the early season doe harvest is the only way to go if you don't want to impact the buck quality. I have found some great sheds in late January and it would be a shame for a 4.5 year old buck to get hammered in Jan. because he had shed out early. Early season would eliminate any and all accidental buck shootings (unless someone is just a plain idiot).

Anyhow, this issue will never get solved, you want to hunt IL you pay 400 for a tag, KS the same, IA the same. Bottom line is that if you are willing to hunt out of state you will have to pay for it. Make it so that all NR landowners of 20-40 acres or more can draw a tag and I know I would jump all over that as I probably won't be in this great state much longer. Just remember once you open up regs. like that more and more loop holes are created more and more people are drawing tags that shouldn't be.

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with every word. I am graduating here soon and have a job in Colorado and I want to hunt Iowa, but with prices like that the hell with it. I will just spend my money on elk hunting in Clorado. You look at South Dakota and pheasent hunting, there big push is out of staters. Out of staters come there spend money on gas, food, houseing or whatever and they make loads of mony this way. Iowa would rather push them away. Out of staters still come but somstimes not following the law. Iowa should lower there price to bring more hunters in, but limmit the number of tags. All nrlandowners should get first choice. Thats my two cents worth

[/ QUOTE ]

Lower the price but limit the tags. Not everyone that applies gets a tag with the prices the way they are. Why should we lower them.
icon_rolleyes[1].gif

Iowa has big bucks for several reasons. NO GUN hunting during the RUT. GREAT FOOD and COVER. Iowa is not as heavily pop. as some other midwest states. GENETICS.

BUT MOST IMPORTANT BECAUSE WE REGULATE HOW MANY PEOPLE HUNT. Which means our deer are not as pressured and many bucks live to be 4 1/2 years and older.

As far as nonresident landowners not getting tags every year. Simple. You knew the rules before you bought the land. Deal with it.

Several nonresidents that are blessed to draw a tag in Iowa have the hunt of their lives and don't want our laws to change because they don't want their hunt to change.

Sorry
30570-chair.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an accurate statement, but not completely accurate. Kansas has no gun season during the rut and the quality of our hunting has dropped drastically the last decade because we allow non-res. landowners tags every year, along with everyone else with big enough pocketbooks. Be very careful what you wish for, Iowa will be just like Kansas within five years if they liberalize non-res. access. The question is where will the whitetail hot-spot be then? These threads are so depressing, why can't I stop reading them? Glutton for punishment I guess...

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like a double edge sword down in KS. I understand they eliminated the TTags(which was good IMO), but are basically going over the counter with archery tags next year. I think this is correct??

They also bumped up pheasant opener a week this year. This should make for an interesting hunt the first week of NOV. Who knows, I may not even draw?

Could KS become the next IL? I hope not. Time will tell. I am eyeing up a few other sleeper states in case I fail to draw this year.
Later

Well, since we are all American citizens and pay Federal taxes maybe we should have the right to hunt any time or place we want. Would that make you happy? You knew your rights when you bought the land and nothing has been compromised. Sounds to me like the game didnt go the way you wanted so you are taking your ball and going home. I have a great idea! Sell the farm to someone else that doesnt whine about fixing something that isnt broken.

Just to be clear, the extra week on the Jan antlerless season was added because the population in those southern counties is still flat, it hasn't started comming down yet.

The quickest way to see the extra antlerless time you don't like go away is to lower the pop in those areas.

(Yes I understand it's as much about access as it is opportunity, landowners have to do their part just like hunters do)

I am a nonres and I have never applied for an Iowa tag and don't have any plans too. I hope Iowa does not go the way of Illinois. 20,000 archery tags, relaxed fees for non resident landowners and hundreds and hundreds of permits secretly awarderd outside of the lottery system. We seem to be accelerating downhill.

Illinois just recently opened the late handgun season to all legal firearms. Muddy hit that subject dead on.
[ QUOTE ]
Late antlerless season will be going a week later if I'm understanding it correctly... LOTS of shed bucks will get nailed accidentally. I think that an early antlerless season would be more beneficial. Does taken out and it would educate a few bucks making them smarter and maybe making it that one more year to grow to maturity.

[/ QUOTE ]

In regards to the Nonres issues:
[ QUOTE ]
As far as nonresident landowners not getting tags every year. Simple. You knew the rules before you bought the land. Deal with it.

[/ QUOTE ]
5068deadhorse.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm with ya buddy and I think it is a crock of crap!!!!!!! This DNR is out of line with this big business, high$ tag fee for nonresidents and few tags available. Especially you landowners; you pay taxes and you can't hunt!!! An Attrocity!!!!!!I would like to have my buddy from MN come down and hunt with me but who in the hell can afford the steep cost?? I would like to go to MN and hunt with him but MN says,"Screw you IA, we will rape you on fees too since IA does". We are all American citizens and should be able to enjoy the outdoors without being raped in the wallet. Why does it cost a Nonresident $500 to hunt elk in CO on FEDERAL LAND THAT MY TAXES BOUGHT when a CO resident can hunt the same FEDERAL LAND for $36?
A landowner in IA should be allowed to hunt deer on his property; PERIOD.
The state says they own these deer but if you hit one with your car they sure deny owning it then; go figure.
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Should the state impose any limitations on what exactly dictates a "landowner"? Should a non-resident landowner be granted a tag every year if he only owns 1 acre of ground? A landowner is a landowner, correct??? You can't pick and choose your limitations if you're totally against them in the first place, besides I'm sure it's your Constitutional Right anyway somehow.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Iowa could make it like Missouri where you must have 75 acres of land in order to qualify for a landowner tag (which is free).

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like a double edge sword down in KS. I understand they eliminated the TTags(which was good IMO), but are basically going over the counter with archery tags next year. I think this is correct??

They also bumped up pheasant opener a week this year. This should make for an interesting hunt the first week of NOV. Who knows, I may not even draw?

Could KS become the next IL? I hope not. Time will tell. I am eyeing up a few other sleeper states in case I fail to draw this year.
Later

[/ QUOTE ]

DOR, you are right about the T-tags going away in '08. There won't be over the counter tags for NR though. BUT, they are increasing the number of NR tags available for the draw to the point that probably just about anyone who wants to hunt KS will be able to, which isn't much different than having OTC tags.

The pheasant season opening a week earlier last fall really hurt the bowhunters from what I heard. It also peed off alot of landowners that had there land in the walk-in hunting program. Tons of bird hunters, residents and NR, pounding their way through fields that hadn't been harvested yet. I read that alot of landowners are pulling out of the program, compounding the access problem in KS
frown.gif

I just don't get it why are you crying about not being able to get a deer tag.No one forced you to buy land in Iowa.You could of easily have bought land in Missouri or Nebraska where you would definitely get a tag.My advice is to sell your land in Iowa and buy some land in another state that allows you to get a deer tag every year.Just because you own land does'nt give you more rights than any other non resident hunter.

[ QUOTE ]
I just don't get it why are you crying about not being able to get a deer tag.No one forced you to buy land in Iowa.You could of easily have bought land in Missouri or Nebraska where you would definitely get a tag.My advice is to sell your land in Iowa and buy some land in another state that allows you to get a deer tag every year.Just because you own land does'nt give you more rights than any other non resident hunter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just don't buy the land in Kansas.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
As far as I am concerned, this is the best system in the union! If we open it up to NR Landowners then the NR non-land owners will bitch until they get their way. It won't be long and it will be like Wisconsin or Minnesota (No where to hunt and very limited quality deer). Iowa would soon be just another State to hunt and the "Trophy" possibilities would be few and far between.

I used to hunt both Minnesota and Wisconsin. Both of those States have been ruined by non-residents. I would hate to see Iowa turn into a State like that!

[/ QUOTE ]

what Wisconsin and Minnesota are you hunting in? Last i checked, the #1 producer of B&C bucks was Wisconsin. Land access? Both WI and MN have huge tracts of public land, many of which are fairly uncrowded. In WI this is especially true if you go to the local DNR office and find out what people have their land in the Managed Forest Law and have to open some up to public hunting.

I have no problem with an NR cap. however, as long as a non-resident is a TAXPAYER , they should enjoy more rights than a regular non-resident.

I can't help but wonder, is this whole "NR Scare" a genuine view of your average Iowan, or is it of the uncompromising minority view of the Iowa Bowhunters Assoc?

Top Bottom