Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shed buck season is in the way back!

Rjack

Sitting in the DNR session at the IBA banquet. He said they are working to start the January season up again in 2017/2018 season. It will be along the eastern part of the state and across the southern counties from east to central. Rifles will be allowed in the NE and southern.

Please attend the sessions on the 22nd and voice your opinion.

Garbage! Hunter's need to boycott crap like this. But it will never happen. There will always be people coming in from out of the area to ruin the resources.

Last edited:
Don't need to boycott. Need to voice up and make sure this does not happen!!!!! Show up at the meetings!!!!!!!

I'll bet you voicing up will be met with the same, " we hear your concern but we believe ...." And I bet it's not just a push against population due to insurance companies but the scare and pressure they feel due to cwd. Especially since it's high density areas of it's all true. Even if we don't by the tags and shoot the deer it may be out of our hands. In Minnesota they are killing with sharpshooters with silencers, lying to property owners telling them let us in the guys next door is, even when it's not true to gain more access. Not saying don't make those contacts, do all we can. They are going to spend millions in Minnesota and gain nothing, maybe spend that money to try harder to find some answers, ones that make sense. I know for fact deer numbers here aren't like the first half of the 2000's, higher than 3 yrs ago but it seems like a nice population as far as hunting. I'm sick of local farms bitching about crop damage but letting no one hunt. I lose far more to coons than deer and they are dying of some disease all over, but that's not big money

It was hunters who voiced up loud enough that resulted in the disastrous shed buck season to be dropped previously. Now- instead of reactionary, we need to voice up and stop this before it gets pushed into effect again. What a disaster. If multiple folks at all meeting locations voiced up on this, it would make a difference.

I just got home from the banquet it was a good time! I`ll go into detail more Sunday if I get time on this fricken proposal..... its late and I`m fuming on what these morons are wanting to do. This will take the action of EVERYONE that cares about the future of our deer herd and the sport that we love to do.

If I read the slides correctly from the back row the counties they are "thinking about" reinstating the late doe season have not met the deer reduction goals. In my opinion they will never meet their goals because of access issues. The public areas/farmers that allow hunting will get piss pounded while those that restrict hunting will still harbor deer creating a sort of deer sanctuary. Access is the key. Without access the numbers will remain high causing an outcry from all the usual suspects and the DNR has to try to do something to keep the politicians and their campaign contributors happy.

The biometrician that was giving the talk has been on the job for two weeks. As soon as he said "Late doe season" I knew it was gonna get kinda messy.

As stated in the posts above, you know what to do. Just because it may not directly effect you or your hunting area that is no reason not to get involved, we need to stop this before it grows legs.

Thanks Bonk very well said!!! If they are talking about starting it up again then its probably going to happen unless WE do something about it. I was a little late to that meeting so after it I talked to them and they knew my dissatisfaction about the stupid proposal.
I have a email address here that if you can't attend a meeting you can send them a message on your thoughts ( I already sent mine ) Use the email as a last resort we need numbers at the meetings. Here's the address

mailto:Tyler.Harms@dnr.iowa.gov

Guys- echo above 100%. The point they don't grasp is exactly correct: guys with big farms laugh at these stupid insane seasons and don't allow it. The sections where folks have permission- 80 acres for example and multiple land owners - those will get disproportionately destroyed!!! Little guys will get steam rolled here and Dnr will never have impact on guys that own enough that will never allow this madness.
Right on.... organize, write in. Email addresses and contacts must be spread!!! Facebook, posting on here, SHOWING UP ON 22nd!!!, bringing buddies, u have to recruit & spread the word, etc. The more exposure the better. No brainer. If the word gets out & u get active- we can win. Sit on sidelines, we lose. Period.

Last edited:
Thanks for the email Ishi. Tyler did a great job presenting and seemed very open and interested in other opinions.

I thought the quote of the meeting was "if everyone is a little pissed we have the right balance". They have several interest groups to try and satisfy. Farm Bureau was quoted in the meeting as having said the only acceptable level of deer in Iowa was zero. So, that is the starting point we are arguing against. Tyler is a great guy, but needs to hear from hunters.

One of my suppositions was THEY need money. They said that's not the reason for this proposal but I never trust a bureaucrat to speak the truth. Why else is the reason for this. The deer herd is at 1996 levels which is low. So that's a red flag for me on the need to kill more shed bucks and does. I'm not the smartest guy sitting around a campfire but I is see that one a mile away.

They are or will be proposing a license fee increase in the near future as the fund will be in the red by 2020. If that comes true many funds and programs will get cut..... and then the landslide will begin.
So when the fee increase comes around we better be willing to pay for it so we can continue to enjoy what we love to do.

One of my suppositions was THEY need money. They said that's not the reason for this proposal but I never trust a bureaucrat to speak the truth. Why else is the reason for this. The deer herd is at 1996 levels which is low. So that's a red flag for me on the need to kill more shed bucks and does.

It's ALL about the $. This is coming from a "balance" of farm bureaus input. Why does farm bureau have input???????? Because: they donate huge sums of $ annually to the politicians (for one of many examples, FB was always in top 10 single donars to Branstad's campaign- giving him $- they expect his favors & actions in return. Same with most our politicians. Payback time for $ spent). They have paid lobbyists that fight or direct the Dnr to better their special interests. This shed buck season is the directive they have PAID FOR. If they gave no $ to politicians and didn't pay for multiple full time lobbyists, this issue & return of shed buck season would not exist. The citizens and voters need to voice up and we win the argument on facts if we make sure we are showing up & being heard.

One of my suppositions was THEY need money. They said that's not the reason for this proposal but I never trust a bureaucrat to speak the truth. Why else is the reason for this. The deer herd is at 1996 levels which is low. So that's a red flag for me on the need to kill more shed bucks and does. I'm not the smartest guy sitting around a campfire but I is see that one a mile away.

They are or will be proposing a license fee increase in the near future as the fund will be in the red by 2020. If that comes true many funds and programs will get cut..... and then the landslide will begin.
So when the fee increase comes around we better be willing to pay for it so we can continue to enjoy what we love to do.

Unfortunately, I too suspect that the primary motivator behind this is likely to be financial.

I like to think I can trust the guys that show up to do the presentations and I do, however, there was a line from one of the presenters who said they have never been told to sell more tags to raise more funds. My understanding in the context of the discussion at that time: they have never been told to increase the number of antlerless tags per county in the counties that historically sell out, just for the sake of selling more antlerless tags. But, if I look at my own budget and see I'm going to fall a little short, and one way I can make up for the short fall is work more hours, nobody has to tell me I need to work more hours. So nobody needs to tell them to figure out a way to sell more antlerless tags in counties that have unsold antlerless tags to increase funds. They ain't dummies.

One way to figure it out, and I don't have the number of antlerless tags/county or reported antlerless harvest/county at my finger tips, would be to figure out how much more the state would take in if they sold all the antlerless tags in a yet to be determined counties in the yet to be proposed late antlerless season then figure out the percentage of those tags that would be filled (based on historically reported harvest/success rate in the past) and you'd come up with a rough guestimate of funds realized and deer killed.

Again from the back row with dirty trifocals the counties that Tyler was pointing at with their laser pointer for the possible late antlerless season were Allamakee and Clayton for sure and MAYBE Dubuque and Delaware but it was hard to tell. Then the southern counties would be Lucas and Wayne back to the Mississippi. Again Tyler's laser hit that general area and as I recall he said MAYBE from Wayne and Lucas. I got the feeling that the area wouldn't go any farther west than Wayne and Lucas and MAYBE not even that far east, perhaps stopping at Monroe and Appanoose.

Also remember a few years ago the DNR wanted to decrease the antlerless tags available in several counties and it was blocked by the Governor's office.

Again, where is the old "edit" button? The proposed counties may not go WEST of Monroe and Appanoose. I have always been directionally challenged.

Again, where is the old "edit" button? The proposed counties may not go WEST of Monroe and Appanoose. I have always been directionally challenged.
I wasn't seeing the best ( boiling blood can do that) you are close on the counties they made them small on purpose to throw us off...... I just know it.
Now that they got me in a roll and a couple above mentioned FB. I enjoy the State High School tournaments when they are on TV but their commercials and their President always reminding how great they are is nauseating!!!!! :)

Top Bottom