Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

southern iowa giant

Status
Not open for further replies.
the pic antlerfreak has posted is the deer ive heard about and rumor is druys are not to happy about the whole deal

I have know heard that the deer was not poached but was close to Drury's. I guess they should plant more corn on their property and forget about that junk Biologic stuff. But it does seem to work in September.

The deer was poached bottom line. You can not erase tracks in the snow. The truth will come out eventually. I know the landowner that hit it the night before. I have been there when we have picked up his sheds. I know where this deer lived and wintered it was a long way from where this guy claimed to kill him. Why would this deer leave a non pressured 5000+ acre farm with all the food he wants to go lay in a wide open horse pasture. Not to mention let a guy stalk up on him. Hmmmm guys lets think about this one it does not add up.

The deer was poached bottom line. You can not erase tracks in the snow. The truth will come out eventually. I know the landowner that hit it the night before. I have been there when we have picked up his sheds. I know where this deer lived and wintered it was a long way from where this guy claimed to kill him. Why would this deer leave a non pressured 5000+ acre farm with all the food he wants to go lay in a wide open horse pasture. Not to mention let a guy stalk up on him. Hmmmm guys lets think about this one it does not add up.
It must not be that cut and dried or the deer would be back to the rightful owner. Case closed. I hate to rush judgement...it seems like anyone killing a big buck is guilty until proven innocent. I do know one thing though, I'm taking that stand out from the middle of my horse pasture!

True Trophy I think you answered your own question, the deer was hit the day before and a wounded deer will do strange things.

Yep, because the landowner that originally shot it hit it high and could locate no blood trail, so how far did he look/push this deer before he decided to give up? Who knows, only the deer. And you didnt have a ventured interest in this since you are a outfitter in the area did you? There are still a lot of unknowns to automatically calling it poaching, and pretty sure he had a tag, so it would be trespassing at best.

My outfitting business has nothing to do with this. I happen to be very good friends with the landowners. I know where that deer was shot the evening before. I know how far they tracked it. I also know that they found tracks in the area where someone had been trespassing.This deer was 9 years old why would he leave his safe haven for wide open country. I dont care if you have a tag or not when you shoot a deer illegaly its POACHING. I voiced my opionion on this matter I will say no more. You all have your own opinion and thats fine. The truth will come out eventually.

I know you know the landowners, so opinion is biased already, I would side on the side of my friends as well. And tracks mean nothing to me, in the state of Iowa you do not have to ask permission to cross on someone's land if you shoot a deer, as I know you know this because you are a outfitter in the area.

Im sure you know more then most but I can tell you if I spent that kind of money on ground and hunted this deer for who knows how many years and hit it and couldnt recover it the night before and then some other guy says he shot it in a horse pasture, I would highly have my doubts as well.

And if the truth comes out that is was "Poached" then I will gladly come on here and say I was wrong, but I dont like to "ass"ume anything because of what my friend the landowner said.

I think you are wrong Steve-O.You CAN NOT go onto property in Iowa if you don't have permission.You have the right to go after your deer if you hit one and it crosses onto another piece of property. But you have to leave your gun/bow on the other side.And it is best to inform the landowner first.If he tells you you can't go on his land at that point you need to call a game warden.He will make a determination. But I doubt anyone would call a game warden if the animal was shot illegally.
If you could go someplace without permission,what would stop hunters from shooting from one property onto another and just go in and get their deer?

I think you are wrong Steve-O.You CAN NOT go onto property in Iowa if you don't have permission.You have the right to go after your deer if you hit one and it crosses onto another piece of property. But you have to leave your gun/bow on the other side.And it is best to inform the landowner first.If he tells you you can't go on his land at that point you need to call a game warden.He will make a determination. But I doubt anyone would call a game warden if the animal was shot illegally.
If you could go someplace without permission,what would stop hunters from shooting from one property onto another and just go in and get their deer?

I believe you can, without asking for permission, trail a wounded animal, without a weapon in hand, over property boundaries. It is best to ask for permission of course, but legally I am pretty sure you can do as I wrote above.

Now then, I have no idea what happened in this case and hopefully it all gets worked out in the end. I find it disheartening that so many times when a real big buck is taken there is all kinds of controversy and speculation, and then, too often it is revealed later that in fact, the circumstances of the kill are wrong, etc.

I figured you would know what I meant but yes if I hit a deer, I should give a curtesy call to the neighbor, but technically I dont have to according to the regs to retrieve my animal, and no one said anyone brought a gun across. True, if he turns you down, you call the game warden, agreed. But regs state it is not considered trespass if I cross the fence to retrieve game. i wouldnt call the game warden if it was shot legally, because I dont need to. And nothing is stopping people "hunting" without permission except your own moral worth.

I believe you can, without asking for permission, trail a wounded animal, without a weapon in hand, over property boundaries. It is best to ask for permission of course, but legally I am pretty sure you can do as I wrote above.

Now then, I have no idea what happened in this case and hopefully it all gets worked out in the end. I find it disheartening that so many times when a real big buck is taken there is all kinds of controversy and speculation, and then, too often it is revealed later that in fact, the circumstances of the kill are wrong, etc.

Im with you Sir, on this one. Everyone jumps to conclusion is all it boils down to.

One day we will all know the truth. I have been in this hunters shoes before and I did the right thing and proved everyone it was a ligit kill.

As far as crossing fencelines. In the state of iowa you have the right to cross a fence to retreive MORTALY wounded game with out your weapon. I have been told that when they refer to mortaly you should have an out standing blood trail or see your game laying there.

Sorry, but the regs say nothing about Mortally wounded game. Here is what is in the regs, in the tresspass section. .

"This paragraph does not prohibit the unarmed
pursuit of game or furbearing animals lawfully
injured or killed which come to rest on or escape to​
the property of another."

There is nothing about a blood trail or seeing the animal lay there as you mention. If you have such first hand knowledge that this deer was in fact poached, why are you not talking to the authorities? Just because one land owner may have wounded it the day before does not make it their harvest. As someone else said, what happened to innocent until proven guilty instead of the other way around. This irritates the crap out of me how this happens everytime some big deer is shot. If it happened, and he poached it, and the DNR is looking into it, then we will all hear of it soon.

If it happened, and he poached it, and the DNR is looking into it, then we will all hear of it soon.

NO Kidding!

Making personal accusations on the net better be backed by fact or you're treading on thin ice in slandering the hunter. From my perspective, until he has been proven to have poached it,..this is nothing more than sour grapes handles in an immature manner. A byproduct of having a 5000 acre farm and "growing" free range deer.....bitterness and jealousy.

If proven wrong I'll eat my words, but I really don't need to constantly be told by someone personally involved with the person that was hunting the deer to tell me it was poached until the dnr or other authorities say it was.

NO Kidding!

Making personal accusations on the net better be backed by fact or you're treading on thin ice in slandering the hunter. From my perspective, until he has been proven to have poached it,..this is nothing more than sour grapes handles in an immature manner. A byproduct of having a 5000 acre farm and "growing" free range deer.....bitterness and jealousy.

If proven wrong I'll eat my words, but I really don't need to constantly be told by someone personally involved with the person that was hunting the deer to tell me it was poached until the dnr or other authorities say it was.

AMEN to that. Good post.

The info I got from someone close is that the hunter did in fact recently get permission from the landowner.

NO big surprise that the deer would leave a property where he had been shot the day before. Time will tell, but to spout certainties on a public forum about poaching is just asking for trouble. If the deer was not poached you better hope he doesnt sue you into the stone ages.

I'm gettin kinda old so if someone would post a bigger picture that would be great. I don't have a dog in this fight so I wont post on the hunter some are saying trespassed but I'm sure the truth will come out. We have plenty of snow so it would be easy to prove where you shot the deer and where it died. I will say that nobody is going to trail a "wounded" deer onto my property without a blood trail. If they have a blood trail then let's go get him. Heck I'll even help you track and drag him out. But tracks in the snow without any blood. Not happening.

My thought exactly....No one will get permission to be on my land without a good blood trail or being able to see the deer laying dead.You can twist the law anyway you want but without proof you shot a deer someplece else and have a trail onto my land you better have a game warden with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom