Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Water source: secluded pond better than creek?

MN Slick

PMA Member
I know the folks in Buffalo County, WI have been having great results hunting over secluded ponds they have built and am wondering if you folks have tried it in Iowa. I was thinking about building a pond on my land in Northern Missouri but since the land already has a creek on the north end I'm not sure it would be worth the expense.

Has anyone built a small secluded pond with the intention of hunting over it despite having natural water sources around? I have heard deer tend to like the stagnant pond water better than a creek but I'm not sure how valid that is.

Any thoughts or experiences?

I had a small watering hole type of pond built a little over 2 years ago now and it has been a nice addition to the farm. I had a stand near it in 2006 and in 2007, but not 2008.

It is a long story as to why I didn't put a stand over it this year, but overall it has been a good location. It isn't like every deer runs up to it for a drink, but I have had deer come in to it and slake their thirst a few different times.

I thin it might actually be more beneficial in the summer months, but I am glad I did it. I forget exactly, but I think it only cost me about $250 for th bulldozer work to make it. I had a nice, steep valley to start with though too.

I think it would be helpful if the pond could be adjacent to a thick bedding area where roving bucks might be chasing does.

They always use my ponds during the rut but I'm not sure about hunting over them.

Not sure that it's "better" then a creek either, just another water source with the exception that you can place it where you want it. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I think a pond would be great in dry years but past that it's just another pond that of course some deer will use regardless.

Top Bottom