Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

1 Buck state In iowa??

Would you be FOR a 1 Buck state for iowa?

• Yes!

Votes: 72 71.3%
  • No!

Votes: 20 19.8%
  • Maybe, need to think about it.

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • I have a better idea!!! (Post below).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
I’ll be 100% neutral here. I’ll let the poll speak for itself & clearly there’s no right or wrong here!!!
This is an audience that’s die hard whitetail hunters & we understand it’s not necessarily the whole public’s view. BUT…. Thoughts? Yes, no? “No way!!!!” “Absolutely!!” “Maybe????” ?????
This would be 1 buck per resident & LO’s would get a LO only tag. So- same as now except 1 buck. Much like Ohio, KS, IN, etc.

Hit poll (can choose multiple if needed) & fire off any thoughts below…

I haven't shot a buck in a couple of years as I've been really picky. Been many years since I bought any of the LOT's. I've been buying statewide tags, figured the DNR could use the revenue.

As a resident and land owner, I can and often do buy the following anysex tags in a single year.

1 Statewide archery
2. Lot/landowner archery
3. Statewide muzzle loader

* 4. I believe I could buy a lot/landowner gun season anysex tag too, making it a 4 buck tag state for residential landowners, correct?

Because party hunting is allowed during shotgun season, I can harvest a buck with a party anysex tag, and this is only limited to the # of anysex tags in my party, so this bumps 3 or 4 bucks to ~20,000+, correct?

Personally, I like it and don't want it to change. There have been years that I've harvested multiple bucks, some big / some small, and years that I've harvested none.

Limiting IA to a 1 buck state (annually) would truly make iA a TROPHY state, and I don't agree with that at all.

If we absolutely must implement 1 buck something, I'd support non-resident implementation ONLY.

Please stop screwing with the existing opportunities I have in my home state.

Yes 100% for this. Iowa in general is sliding in quality we need a few laws that are more restrictive instead of more Lenient Would all be a moot point unless the party hunting laws changed also. A fringe benefit would be slow down the filming and hunting Celebs.

I’d be for it. I shot 2 bucks this past year, but hadn’t killed one in a few years. Are you proposing 1 buck tag, good for all seasons?

I’d be for it. I shot 2 bucks this past year, but hadn’t killed one in a few years. Are you proposing 1 buck tag, good for all seasons?
Could be. If they did floating- it would still have same dynamic…. Choose 1 gun season.

Yes 100% for this. Iowa in general is sliding in quality we need a few laws that are more restrictive instead of more Lenient Would all be a moot point unless the party hunting laws changed also. A fringe benefit would be slow down the filming and hunting Celebs.

As it sits- party hunting is law of the land…. One less buck to kill is still one less - for everyone in the group. So- party hunting would be separate issue on keeping or removing. I would say, even if still had party hunting…. Less buck tags would make guys less likely to throw tag in pile for Jim Bob to light up a pile of bucks using their tag.

On celeb tags…. YES, the time has come!!!! There’s a few things bubbling along those lines. That program should have been gone 15+ years ago. It’s time & the wheels, as slow as they may be, are finally beginning to turn on that issue. ;)

[/QUOTE]
Limiting IA to a 1 buck state (annually) would truly make iA a TROPHY state, and I don't agree with that at all.

If we absolutely must implement 1 buck something, I'd support non-resident implementation ONLY.

Good post obsessed! Well spoken. I have to take issue with 2 things ;) ….
1) when folks throw “TROPHY HUNTER” out - it’s meant as a negative. It’s meant to degrade what it REALLY IS… “Trophy Hunting” = a balanced deer herd with a balanced age structure. A system of management that allows a certain % of herd to reach maturity. Which is biologically proven to be a healthier & better herd. With those MATURE bucks…. Those being OLD are alone “trophies” yet some might not score well at all. It’s about age class & biology. “TROPHY HUNTING” doesn’t exist in most other states simply for the fact that very few bucks are able to reach maturity. For a whole host of reasons- this is biologically an inferior herd/management plan. & I also will readily admit - I have no desire to hunt states like that that don’t manage right. I have no opportunity there to chase a mature buck that exists. Because in most those other states - the vast majority of the areas- they don’t exist. Or it’s like winning the lotto. What makes iowa such a hot destination - QUALITY & a BALANCED AGE STRUCTURE that carries reasonably true across much of the state. Iowa is considered great because we have areas that contain some rare bucks that do reach maturity.

2) OPPORTUNITIES being taken away. Very good point & I do thing this is an issue that will come up a lot. Yet- 4+ months of season, 7 seasons, 6+ weapons & <8% timber…. Could we make the case that OPPORTUNITIES are beyond what’s needed? Especially with how many NEW opportunities they have put in in last 5 years? (Straight wall, crossguns late season, late shed buck season, etc etc). If we reined it in, hypothetically here…. Couldn’t we make the case it would give MORE OPPORTUNITIES??? Not as much land would be tied up. Buck hunting pressure would decrease some while doe quotas can still be adjusted each year county by county. Regular guys could probably get permission a bit easier. Take the pressure off of some public, etc etc. We do have access issues & quality hunting issues so could “tightening the opportunity” actually give more “more opportunity”???
Just throwing out both sides & I’ll go back to my neutral box. Which I really want to be in here. Good stuff though.

As a resident and land owner, I can and often do buy the following anysex tags in a single year.

1 Statewide archery
2. Lot/landowner archery

* 4. I believe I could buy a lot/landowner gun season anysex tag too, making it a 4 buck tag state for residential landowners,

Pretty sure you only get one LOT anysex. 3 buck tags is the max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure you only get one LOT anysex. 3 buck tags is the max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Correct. One LOT AnySex for $2. One LOT antlerless for $2. The additional two LOT tags are also antlerless but for $15 each. LOT antlerless can be purchased even if the county has an allotment of zero doe tags otherwise

1 Statewide archery
2. Lot/landowner archery

* 4. I believe I could buy a lot/landowner gun season anysex tag too, making it a 4 buck tag state for residential landowners, correct?

Because party hunting is allowed during shotgun season, I can harvest a buck with a party anysex tag, and this is only limited to the # of anysex tags in my party, so this bumps 3 or 4 bucks to ~20,000+, correct?

Personally, I like it and don't want it to change. There have been years that I've harvested multiple bucks, some big / some small, and years that I've harvested none.

No- 4 not allowed. 3 any sex for a landowner- only way to get 4 in Iowa would be urban hunting.
If you get LOT tag for gun season, you can only hunt your land. You cannot go with a group anywhere else that’s not your land.

Rule changes I would support.

1. 1 buck tag
2. 1 LOT tag
3. Increase LOT requirements to something reasonable like 20 acres. I think it's something like 2 acres now??
4. Outlaw party hunting. If you want to shoot a buck, buy a darn buck tag.

I can think of alot of other things I would change but I'll keep that to myself for now. :)

Rule changes I would support.

1. 1 buck tag
2. 1 LOT tag
3. Increase LOT requirements to something reasonable like 20 acres. I think it's something like 2 acres now??
4. Outlaw party hunting. If you want to shoot a buck, buy a darn buck tag.

I can think of alot of other things I would change but I'll keep that to myself for now. :)
So it’s 2 acres that have to pull income- I have 17, only get 3 into crp. Rest is woods and creek/wetland (and house) would be impossible to get more income unless I bulldoze trees- and that’s not happening.

Top Bottom