Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Easy but $$$$ question

huntdoc

Suppose a guy decided to just buy standing crops from the farmer where he hunts. Maybe some end rows tucked back in a corner that would help funnel deer and make a good late season draw. How would you calculate the $$$ and what is fair way to measure the area? No effort involved, but not cheap at all.

An acre is 43,560 square feet (4,840 sq yds). Knowing this, you can measure across 6 rows (how many rows will depend on the planter (row width) and combine head used, trying to make it easy for the farmer to harvest around what you want to buy) and then figure out how long of a swath to determine the number of acres of standing crops you want to buy. Then, the farmer will get an idea of how many bushel to the acre the field is yielding as he combines the rest. Take the yield per acre times the current market price (call the local elevator for that days pricing) and that will be the cost on a per acre basis. End rows usually yield less, especially if they are up against timber, so you might be paying more than it is actually worth. Yield varies widely depending on the ground, variety of corn, amount of fertilizer used. My guess is somewhere between 150-200 bushel an acre. Who knows what the price of corn will be next year. Let's say $3/bushel. That acre of standing corn just cost you ~$600.00.

All this depends on how willing the farmer is to cooperate.

Pretty good idea, but most farmers won't go for it. It is kind of an inconvience for them to have to disk it under or run it through the combine. Most you talk to would rather just get it out while the combine is there. One thing you can ask about is around August or early Sept., see if he wouldn't mind you broadcasting in some winter wheat. You can just walk down the corn rows with a hand seeder, and broadcast the wheat seed in. It is cheap, and there will probably be either RR beans or RR corn/LL corn there next year, which with those chemical programs, it will kill out wheat pretty good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> so you might be paying more than it is actually worth.</div></div>

A farmer near me laughed all the way to the bank when some hunters paid him to leave standing corn... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Corn stubble is just as good IMO (for a draw..not for protection)but I'm not sure you could "pay" a farmer to leave some on land you didn't own.

If you own the land then you could make arrangements in the lease agreement that certain fields not be fall plowed.

Making arrangements to not harvest a crop until as late as possible might be an option for some, but in most cases farmers are going to be intent on getting it done ASAP...

Do the guys that plant corn for plots notice if the deer are drawn to the standing corn more than stubble? Just looking for an edge and thought it might help. Might try some late planted beans between the corn rows.

In mild winters the deer around me seem to prefer the corn stubble to standing corn. But with the ice and snow we have had this year its no contest, standing corn won hands down.

Here's a farmer's perspective. If there is a sharp corner or a "belly" in the field that has timber on both sides, you may be able to make a deal. If you can work out the money end of it, do it BEFORE planting in the spring. That way end rows can be put in to isolate your plot. If you try to get a farmer to leave some in the fall, you'll get a no because of having to turn the combine in the middle of some rows,not the end rows. He will drive down a lot of corn, making for voluteer corn in next years crop. Just make the deal now for next year. Just so you know, I bought my crop inputs for next year a few days ago and fertilizer and seed prices are way up. Expect to pay a pretty high price for an acre.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turkeyriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Just so you know, I bought my crop inputs for next year a few days ago and fertilizer and seed prices are way up. </div></div>

Thats an understatement.

If you were the farmer, would you mind if I broadcast RR beans in the rows of corn? He uses RR corn and I thought some late beans in the corn stubble might make a nice attractant. This is assuming he doesn't use an alternative herbicide that would kill beans. Of course if beans hit $15 a bushel I may be picking them by hand myself.

I will probably talk all of this over with him this weekend. You guys have given some helpful thoughts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turkeyriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't think beans will grow if broadcast between the corn rows. Winter rye or wheat would be better. </div></div>

Turkey river is right. There would be to much competition for light and the beans would not do well, if grow at all. Plus, you would probably still have some residual herbicide there that would kill any bean that did germinate (atrazine being #1).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nannyslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turkeyriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't think beans will grow if broadcast between the corn rows. Winter rye or wheat would be better. </div></div>

Turkey river is right. There would be to much competition for light and the beans would not do well, if grow at all. Plus, you would probably still have some residual herbicide there that would kill any bean that did germinate (atrazine being #1). </div></div>

Oh contraire my friends...how quickly we forget! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

RR corn and soybeans will do quite well together:

Eaglesoys.jpg

These were "Eagle" brand forage soys that at least survived the onslaught of relentless grazing by my "oversized" deer herd.

Soyscloseup.jpg

I know you followed the pros and cons in the RR corn and soybean thread.

Back to the orginal question though...

Broadcasting the beans later on IMO is flat not going to work...plant them at the same time as the corn if you want a combo.

I used Dual Magnum 2 and RUP which worked perfectly for weed control so no need for Atrazine.

If your looking to broadcast something into standing corn at summers end then TR is on the right track with rye or wheat. Turnips also work well although I would broadcast them (turnips) ahead of a rain in mid August rather then late August like the grains.

Broadcasting grains or brassicas into standing crops would certainly be a least expensive option versus buying standing crops. Combine some "green" forage with freshly combined corn stubble and I'd say you have a winning combo! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I was talking about the late season broadcast not working. Planting at the same time does absolutely work but good luck getting a non-hunting big farmer to plant some of each with his planter during the spring rush. DBL, are the forage beans really worth it? Have you ever seen them not grazed to the ground? Do they eventually make seed if left alone and do they stand into winter?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you ever seen them not grazed to the ground? </div></div>

Nope..... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

I only know they withstood the grazing pressure better then regular RR beans I planted in the same field. If they are worth the money or not would be something individuals would have to compare for themselves.

I was hoping for more information that would answer your very question (and my own...) but I guess I'd have to plant 50 acres to find out.

In my plot they literally "killed" the reg. beans by October while the forage beans were as pictured.

Personally I have always bought year old RR soys for $15 a bag but if I was really trying to maximize forage potential from limited acreage the Eagle forage beans could do the trick.

I think one main attribute is that they stay green pretty much up until frost and so keep growing while most soys are bred to mature and dry down for early, even harvest which around here is often in mid Setember.

Having taller green soys in late October means longer grazing and the likelyhood of more pods late in the season. I need to plant some next to a large conventional field of soys instead of next to a field of switchgrass full of waiting "marauders"... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

dbltree, I was talking about the late season planting and the herbicide program that someone who would be planting CORN and CORN only. Not many farmers in the area put corn and beans every other row. Now, if the farmer was using a pre herbicide that didn't have a active ingredient that would kill soybeans, and he planted them early in the corn (V2-V6), then yes, the beans would work.

Top Bottom