Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How many welcome Outfitters in Iowa???

Crockett

PMA Member
A show of hands! Reasons why..........or why not!! And this should probably not apply to you if you can make money off a Outfitter leasing land in Iowa! That would be a given!! So lets hear it!! It's the off season!! And I really wanna hear who supports who!!!!!!!:way:

I can't say that I really support it in my current position. It would be the pot calling the kettle black though. If I could lock down 5000 acres of prime ground and run an outfitting business and be successful I think it would be rewarding. You get to do what you love and if you are real good you will make a lot of friends and have great ground to hunt. Sure you will get to hunt with some real doozies but I get to hunt with some real doozies on public ground now.

Regardless if you support it or not if any one of us would of won the 325 million dollar powerball jackpot we would all most likely run out and buy a ton of prime ground and it would be no different than an outfitter moving in. Iowa hunters would be displaced. People would hate me if I won that kind of money. I am sure though with as many that were displaced I would have just as many hunting the same ground. Heck, I would have to retire at least 5 of my closest buddies just to have someone to hang out with during the day.

Last edited:
Liv4Rut said:
I can't say that I really support it in my current position. It would be the pot calling the kettle black though. If I could lock down 5000 acres of prime ground and run an outfitting business and be successful I think it would be rewarding. You get to do what you love and if you are real good you will make a lot of friends and have great ground to hunt. Sure you will get to hunt with some real doozies but I get to hunt with some real doozies on public ground now.

Regardless if you support it or not if any one of us would of won the 325 million dollar powerball jackpot we would all most likely run out and buy a ton of prime ground and it would be no different than an outfitter moving in. Iowa hunters would be displaced. People would hate me if I won that kind of money. I am sure though with as many that were displaced I would have just as many hunting the same ground. Heck, I would have to retire at least 5 of my closest buddies just to have someone to hang out with during the day.

That's about as well put as it can possibly get. Id love to be 1 of those buddies mikey :)

Sent from My Thunderbolt using IW

I've never really been a big fan of outfitters around here for the simple reason of them tying up a lot of ground, however, now that I at least own my own little piece of heaven, i'd rather have an outfitter next door to me with an antler restriction than at least 40 sluggers shooting everything that moves. I guess what I'm saying is now that I own some ground, it doesn't bother me AS much because I'm not afraid anymore of having nowhere to hunt.

I have some leased land for hunting next to me. Not really an outfitter, but guy leases out the land. No antler restrictions from what I saw, Some southern hunters driving around last Nov with some little fellas. Spose they were big deer to them? Not really keen on more of it!

I have an outfitter that leases a 600acre farm next to me now. I am in a very well managed area, and help a very serious whitetail manager (landowner) on 3,500 acres. Sometimes we get a bit frustrated when there are 5-8 bucks a year being shot on the property 'right next door,' which is the outfitters ground, but also realize that there isn't anything we can do about it. The owner who leases out the 600 is from out of state, and is using the outfitter to help pay pay for the property, however, we feel that he will likely end the lease agreement once he starts converting the ground into crops.

I will say that I have become very good friends with the guide and outfitter over the years. They are great guys . They have given me trail cam pictures of deer that myself and friends have killed, and I have done the same.

As far as those who hunt with this particular outfitter, most are from New Jersey, New York, or Pennsylvania. I don't blame them one bit for going through an outfitter as they are wanting a quality experience, but sometimes I wonder 'why would you pay $3,000 for a week' when there is great public ground all over the southern half of Iowa where you could chase quality whitetails? Most of the NR's I have talked to are looking for 140+, which can be found on public, however, some also don't know squat about bow hunting Iowa deer successfully. I have seen firsthand some of the guys who come in....wow, they've got the money, but are lacking the skills, which is why they need to have their hand held on a hunting trip.

Last edited:
I am torn on this subject, just like Liv4Rut said " If I won the 325 million I would purchase a very large chunk of ground", I would probably retire some friends and sit around and drink beer, build food plots, and shoot all day during the off season.

I would like to think I would not try to charge people to hunt, maybe a drawing on IA Whitetail giving a few hunters the chance to harvest a buck, and opening up the does to meat hunters and youth.

I am sure there would be some pissed off people when I buy the ground.

This whole problem is the way our country is set-up, (but we would not want it any other way) if you have the money you can buy the ground and you have no legal right to let anyone on. I miss the old days quail hunting as a kid, everyone new you or would allow you to hunt.

But, things change and those days are over. The media, magazines, internet, and deer shows brought the attention now we must all live with it.

Bowdude

If we are all friends to the sport we need to push for more public hunting areas in Iowa!!!!!

Outfitters don't bother me. More Iowa residents 'lock down' their ground than can even compare to NRs or outfitters. Hunting ground comes and goes, it is a part of life.
And if I owned ground and wasn't a hunter, why wouldn't I rent it out to an outfitter to make a few extra bucks as opposed to letting some guys hunt it for free?
It seems lots of folks want to hunt incredible ground but expect to do nothing for it.

Personally, I think you need to drop this topic and get over it, Crock.

This is a stupid discussion, if you really think outfitters are the decay of Iowa, get a grip. Its a free friggen country and a free market, more power to the guy who has the means to make a dream come true. AND be apart of fulfilling other hunter's dreams.

There is nothing wrong with outfitting when its done properly, and its actually a good thing for the surrounding landowners. But bad landowners are just as bad as bad outfitters.... and you'll have both everywhere you go...

As far as those who hunt with this particular outfitter, most are from New Jersey, New York, or Pennsylvania. I don't blame them one bit for going through an outfitter as they are wanting a quality experience, but sometimes I wonder 'why would you pay $3,000 for a week' when there is great public ground all over the southern half of Iowa where you could chase quality whitetails?

True, but if you have the means, why not? For guys like us, 3G's is not even open for discussion... But for those that it is, I see no problem with paying to provide the quality experience...

Those of you who have never hunted with one oughta go try it once.... you'll see how it works and have a much different outlook on what it takes and what they offer. Hunting is NOT an exclusive sport, if you don't have the money to be a NR landowner, and don't want to waste valuable time on public land where who knows what can happen, an outfitter is the best option. It's a helluva lot of fun, and a great way to enjoy a hunt

I fully support Iowa outfitters and without them you are taking a major chunk of the rural economy away. They are needed, they exist everywhere and are NOT going anywhere. Get used to the idea....

:confused:

Last edited:
I frown at the first thought of outfitters moving in, but it is only because I don't own any property yet and probably wont for several more years. I worry that when I am in a position to buy, the best ground won't be available and if it is, it will be unaffordable. As mentioned before, if I did own land, I would much rather live next to an outfitter that cares about the age of the deer they shoot rather than a group that hunts recklessly.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
This whole issue has many "ifs". If I own land next to an outfitter as well as a husband/wife tv show. I look at it as the following......

would i rather have the outfitter manage the land for big bucks for his clients. You know that if he can't supply shooter bucks he wouldnt be around much, or would I want a group of guys shooting everything and anything?

The flip side is that they may take out more bucks then you really want compared to a hunter who may take 1 or 2 off the ground. But a group of hunters who really don't care can take more or as many bucks and deer too.

There are pros and cons i believe. All depends on many variables which make the situation different for bettering the land and wrecking the land.

This is a stupid discussion, if you really think outfitters are the decay of Iowa, get a grip. Its a free friggen country and a free market, more power to the guy who has the means to make a dream come true. AND be apart of fulfilling other hunter's dreams.

There is nothing wrong with outfitting when its done properly, and its actually a good thing for the surrounding landowners. But bad landowners are just as bad as bad outfitters.... and you'll have both everywhere you go...

True, but if you have the means, why not? For guys like us, 3G's is not even open for discussion... But for those that it is, I see no problem with paying to provide the quality experience...

Those of you who have never hunted with one oughta go try it once.... you'll see how it works and have a much different outlook on what it takes and what they offer. Hunting is NOT an exclusive sport, if you don't have the money to be a NR landowner, and don't want to waste valuable time on public land where who knows what can happen, an outfitter is the best option. It's a helluva lot of fun, and a great way to enjoy a hunt

I fully support Iowa outfitters and without them you are taking a major chunk of the rural economy away. They are needed, they exist everywhere and are NOT going anywhere. Get used to the idea....

Good post here and nobody was getting out of hand until you posted Thomas. If there is suppose to be humor in your relpy I missed it. Sorry if that was the case.

I kind of go along with the general direction of the replies. There nothing wrong with outfitting done with integrity. I will never like the idea of laws changing to accelerate the commercialization of the sport to the detriment of the Iowa hunter. That mostly means promoting easier access for NR hunter. I am not anti NR either. Sensible balance!

I personally haven't really run into any outfitters. That being said, how could their be any question on feelings toward them? Make no mistake, they are not good for the average joe hunter. They wont go away unless the quality of iowa deer hunting significantly decreases. I truly doubt the that they have much of an impact on economy either...your not talking about mass quantities of people. As my dad always said, it is what it is...but make no mistake, with all the variables decreasing the odds of the average guy having success, this is just one more negative. Can't say I blame them for making a living either.

ironwood said:
Good post here and nobody was getting out of hand until you posted Thomas. If there is suppose to be humor in your relpy I missed it. Sorry if that was the case.

Nope, it was meant how it sounded and not apologizing for it either. Just sick of the pointless yet pot stirring posts and comments, (not that yours is pointless or pointing fingers at you) that have swamped this site lately...

Logging off....

Disadvantages to outfitters less land for locals to hunt, more over crowding at public areas , outfitters usually lease up large areas so big jumps in doe populations in one area of a county and in return lots of antlerless tags for that county, neighboring landowners being more interested in charging to hunt beings there neighbors are getting paid, less local shotgun hunting equals more deer which means more crop damage and more vehicle collisions which equals kill them all attitudes from politicians

It is Really a mute point. You lease land to try to make money. Outfitters do it all the time !

Deer hunting is in an evolutionary stage. Everyone capitalizing on good huntin/Big Bucks. The deer pop, goes down, Big Racks, more scarse, the Big time Hunting Interest will fade. Boom and Bust cycle,,like Gold.

:way: Ya know that is exactly right! And dang it! I really never thought of it that way!! I would do the same!! I can't argue with that!!! :D:way:

:D Well I was gonna say......I could care less what you think, but I asked the Ouestion!!!!:thrwrck: The topic is what it is!! Stay tuned for......"Who likes Sushi?" And why?? :way:

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom