Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I HATE COYOTES!!!!!!!!

In general, is it easier to obtain permission to hunt coyotes or deer on private property today? I've never cold called or door knocked for coyote hunting before.

It’s about equal for any animal anymore. Pheasants, waterfowl, coyotes, deer, and turkeys. In my experience you have about the same rate of success no matter what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s about equal for any animal anymore. Pheasants, waterfowl, coyotes, deer, and turkeys. In my experience you have about the same rate of success no matter what.

My wife gave the neighbor permission on our piece (he has access to 1000’s of acres)… told her he was going to sit and call and try to get them out of our draw. Next week him and all his buddies are walking through, pushing and shooting…. Ended that pretty quick. With a 2 year old and a dog that like to play towards the draw, I need honesty on what they want to do or at least “hey we are coming x time”. I don’t have much time and with a 2 year old and expecting another, I can’t afford night vision. We live on the river bottom, I know they are here nightly though.

My biggest fear, rabies! Back in the late 80' we had a big outbreak, don't want that again!

link....

Last edited:
I got a monocular from Boyd on here with Buck hollow…. It’s a pulsar….. this is pry more than most wanna spend & this is a big Investment to kill coyotes. Some buddies have some lower priced ones & do just fine. I’m far from expert. But, on this one purchase for how big of problem we are addressing & Time into it, on THIS I said “I want one I know I’ll like & last long time that I won’t regret”. If we were out for casual 2-3 coyote hunts a year- no way Boyd sold me this good bit cheaper than pulsars website.
Are you also using thermal on the gun? Or night vision scope?

My wife gave the neighbor permission on our piece (he has access to 1000’s of acres)… told her he was going to sit and call and try to get them out of our draw. Next week him and all his buddies are walking through, pushing and shooting…. Ended that pretty quick. With a 2 year old and a dog that like to play towards the draw, I need honesty on what they want to do or at least “hey we are coming x time”. I don’t have much time and with a 2 year old and expecting another, I can’t afford night vision. We live on the river bottom, I know they are here nightly though.
Whenever I get permission, I always get a phone number and let them know when I intend on being there. Especially when night hunting coyotes! I don’t want to surprise anyone when they hear gunshots near their house after dark.

In general, is it easier to obtain permission to hunt coyotes or deer on private property today? I've never cold called or door knocked for coyote hunting before.
I’m as crazed a deer hunter as anyone (not that I need to state this) and I’d welcome coyote hunters. And I do. I got a few buddies that have tackled them. I personally think “MANY” land owners would. They for sure would if they trust the person. Or some might say “do it this time & please don’t do xyz (like go in bedding areas or their main food plot). I used to let anyone trap that asked me. I would just say “please do it about 200 yards in from road only and don’t go in these spots”.
Informed deer managers + trusted hunters-
Absolutely!!! Then u have next group- guys that own land for cattle …. They love coyote hunting too. I’d say it’s way easier to get coyote permission vs deer. & yep- a portion of deer managers I bet will welcome coyote hunters. To add to this… I know a FEW guys that actually are paying people to trap coyotes on their land!!!!

Are you also using thermal on the gun? Or night vision scope?
Buddy has the thermal scope. I got monocular for scanning. If I want my own I may need to do a Go Fund Me appeal to get the $. One toy like that every so often. But yes- we use monocular for scanning &
Thermal scope to shoot.

Skip. Yep, with the low price of furs nowdays, it'll be more common for landowners to have to pay for coyote/coon removal.
I don't know what Iowas trap check laws are but in MN, is every 24 hours.
If a guy has to spend 25$ a day in fuel to check traps with no return $ fur wise, it's gonna make critter population explode.
Heck, 15 years or so ago, I had a "black_book" with ranchers names /phone #s in Nd/Mt that would call me (Mn) to come out and help them.
And I did many times. 80_100.00$ per pelt worked fine. If I could average 5 a day, it paid gas/motel/food n beer at night and a 3_4 trip usually left a little jingle in my pocket.

Now, be dammed lucky to get 10.00$ per pelt. I'm not gonna spent 300.00$dollars in gas, 100.00 a night motel and put a 1000 miles on my rig to go shoot a coyote now.

Bad part is, I lost many 1000s of acres once landowners found out how much coyotes were bringing to a cousin_nephew_friend ect that wanted a part of the action even though they had never killed one before.

A few years ago, a rancher from near Bismark ND called me during calving season and begged me to come out. Prices of fur was dropping fast. He said he'd compensate me.
I spent a couple hundred in gas, couple hundred in motels, shot some 25 dollar coyotes and got compensated with 5 lbs of damn good beef burger. Lol.

Moral of story, allow a good trapper/hunter/houndsman in. If it's not gonna be a big expense to them (local), they will most likely do it no matter what fur $ brings.
Serious trappers Predator hunters have just as much passion for what they do as we "deer" hunters do.
AND keep this in mind..., ask to tag along for a day or 2. Good chance anyone "against" such activities will change their minds after a few outings.
We're all hunters.

b3d87c1f36dcab84e1b32a9b00ec010f.jpg
a68fe816924cd54119dec91d16ca91e9.jpg

The Minnesota coyote hunters have had a good year with all the snow . One group got 10 in one day (with dogs)…

Now they are saying the numbers are down . Which is good !

Unfortunately we will lose some deer due to snow pack.

Coyotes are killing deer here easy_peazy.
Calling them is basically futile now.
I seldom use any "prey in distress" sounds this time of year, mostly just coyote vocals and even that's been dismal.

Looking back a few years ago, I sure miss going out west ,hunting hard, paying for gas,food,beer,motels ect and still have decent carrying $$.

Attachments

• DSCF8276_zps0b041ca6.jpg
    DSCF8276_zps0b041ca6.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCN6228_zpsmsuxcbyj.jpg
    DSCN6228_zpsmsuxcbyj.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCF2235_zps2416da81 (1).jpg
    DSCF2235_zps2416da81 (1).jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 75
Driving out to the farm last Saturday, Julie noticed fur in the ditch. We stopped and it looked like a pile of maybe 4-6 coyotes with maybe a fox in the group (might have been a color phase on a yote).

A week or so ago there was an article in the paper about the DNR finding two piles the other side of Iowa City and they were asking for tips, reward money if you could help. I called in the ones we saw. So it appears there are coyote "hunters" working around the Iowa City area.

Why shoot them, throw them in the vehicle, drive to another location to dump them in a pile in plain sight? Gives hunters a bad name leaving them in piles in full vision.

Pretty ironic & “what are the chances” on how many guys I know that got bucks on cam right before coyotes got em. Buddy showed me video the other day of a GIANT 4 YO getting chased few coyotes could see on video. He’s a goner. hope the popularity of thermals & hunting them continues. Here’s a pic I got the other day & a lot like this. # of coyotes is wildly higher than 20-30 years ago. Same with bobcats or coons or any animal that used to get trapped.
9.jpeg

If BIG bucks are wise and super spooky to intrusion into their core areas, how do you go about killing coyotes around them without pushing them out and into the next county? How wide of birth do you need to provide these bucks in order to be safe? I'd think coyote hounds would be about the worst thing you could have running through ground that you're trying to keep as a safe haven for big bucks.

Also, what are some suggestions for a decent inexpensive thermal? I could see nighttime coyote hunting becoming my next favorite hobby.
If BIG bucks are wise and super spooky to intrusion into their core areas, how do you go about killing coyotes around them without pushing them out and into the next county? How wide of birth do you need to provide these bucks in order to be safe? I'd think coyote hounds would be about the worst thing you could have running through ground that you're trying to keep as a safe haven for big bucks.

Also, what are some suggestions for a decent inexpensive thermal? I could see nighttime coyote hunting becoming my next favorite hobby.
When calling I find four buck is real effective out to forty yards when calling I’ve had three come in at same time shotgun works best sometimes

Top Bottom