Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

John Deere 7000

purpletop

I have a two row without fertilizer attachment. Is is somehow possible to spread starter fertilizer using the herbicide boxes and spreading it on the ground behind the row?

I don't think so. If you wanted some fertilizer boxes, I have some extras I think or you can find them all over. I personally don't even fertilize with those boxes, I do it separately. BUT- I THINK I recall the answer being NO to using insecticide boxes for fertilizer. I could be wrong though.

jd 7000

Look at craigslist mankato minnesota. Ben Sieberg builds them. He does a nice job for 800 bucks. He lives just north of hwy 14 on hwy 60 outside of mankato.

They buy 12 row planters or whatever and cut em up- often making them 2 row with 3 pt hitch instead of.pull type w/hydraulics.

One of my neighbors picked one up last summer but hasnt used it yet. Im hoping he will call when he plans on planting so I can come help/watch.

I personally don't even fertilize with those boxes, I do it separately.

How do you fertilize your corn? Do you just broadcast urea? Before or after you drill the corn? How many lbs/ac approx? Do you think it grows as well as using a corn planter to do it ....where it puts it right next to the corn seed?

How do you fertilize your corn? Do you just broadcast urea? Before or after you drill the corn? How many lbs/ac approx? Do you think it grows as well as using a corn planter to do it ....where it puts it right next to the corn seed?

Skip and I have identical JD-7000 planters so generally we disc the urea in before planting. Almost no one put's fertilizer down with the planters anymore, way to slow and time consuming.

Farmers of course use anhydrous and knife it in but that's not usually a possible for most of us so we just till in dry fertilizer.

I use 200-300#'s of urea along with 400#'s 6-24-24 (or something close), corn is of course a high nitrogen user so 100-150#'s of actual N will get the most yield.

You can of course no-till the corn and try to broadcast the urea on within 24 hours of a minimum 1/2" of rain but that can be an iffy deal. I just disc it in and then I don't have to worry about it!

More info in the corn/soybean thread in dbltree's corner also...:way:

I agree it is easier to just broadcast the fertilizer and i have done it that way i farm 50 acres and do about 5 acres of corn for a food plot and i put it on with the planter because with all the rain we get i know that the plant will benefit from the fertilizer.I also side dress with liquid fertilizer to give it another boost i find that by doing it this way it saves on the cost of fertilizer.If i had 5000 acres i would think different but its not bad if you have a few.

Top Bottom