Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Miscanthus x Gianteus

Thanks i believe thats what i'm going to do.I'm going try to use a sawzall to cut then pry with a shovel.

Finally took a couple pics of my grass that i planted this spring... Tallest being around 3 ft... I planted 21 of them and 16 came up so far... Thought they would all be up by now but it surprises me everytime i go out and see another one popped out of the ground...
picture.php

I am using the grass to screen an acre of beans that i am going to be leaving stand through the winter...
picture.php

August 2nd, 2011

Here's the miscanthus I planted last year

IMG_5577.jpg

This is miscanthus I planted this year

IMG_5576.jpg

The plants are from two different sources both sold as Miscanthus x Gianteus but if in fact they are the giant miscanthus I cannot say for certain yet? Pretty decent screen either way.... ;)

Just went to check out the grass the other day they are starting to pop out of the ground can't wait to see what they look like this year... Will post some pics once they get some size to them...

This hasn't been up in awhile. Here's mine in its fourth year. It does fine in a drought. It didn't head out last year though but still grew tall. No fertilizer,no water. Just burn it off ever spring. Paul and you others how have your plants done?

picture.php

June 22, 2012

This hasn't been up in awhile. Here's mine in its fourth year. It does fine in a drought. It didn't head out last year though but still grew tall. No fertilizer,no water. Just burn it off ever spring. Paul and you others how have your plants done?

Looks awesome!

Miscanthus in background was planted 2010 an unsure if it is actually the "giant" miscanthus...clump in front right was planted last year from another source

2ndyearmiscanthus1.jpg

I have not yet tried to separate any of these plants

2ndyearmiscanthus2.jpg

My plants have not had much rain, no fertilizer or care of any kind, still curious about final mature height but time will tell...;)

I found a supplier that sales the rizomes for .37 cents a piece and states for a thick stand you need about 4800 plants per acre. Planted at 4 inches deep, any experience in tilling or disking the rizhomes in to the seed bed. I have a 30 foot wide strip 1000 feet long strip I am thinking of doing about .75 acres. (road front ) looks like atrazin can control the weeds a lot like Swithgrass, Thoughts

Last edited:
My thoughts are that you will not need 30'. I only planted one row and it keeps getting a little wider each year. Picture of mine is above. I don't think you could till the rhizomes without cutting them up. Also there is usually a tip on the rhizome that should be pointed up.

So for those who planted this on their hunting ground...what say you? Goatman's turned out great but I'm wondering how others that panted it feel about it? I need to plant a screen of some sort and this looks like a great option if I can get it to grow. It will be planted on higher ground in an area that is currently being hayed. Thanks

Ive planted rhizomes and small potted plants down at my farm. The potted plants did better but no taller than 5 ft and very thin.The rhizomes were like like small fescue grass.I suppose the southern Illinos drought didnt help either.
Now back at home in northern Il,I planted a small potted plant and with watering they reached 8ft plus and keep starting new shoots like crazy .
I ordered from earthly pursuits. Very nice C.S.

How does it do transplanting? I was thinking about growing it in the ditch and then moving it to the Fence edge

planted several plants 2 years ago . is there anything i should spray on these plants now to help with weed control ? last year they grew about 3-5 feet and not to thick . thinking if i can kill the sod around them they would thrive. Thanks Scooter

Not experienced with spraying around them, but mulch them with something can help to keep more moisture and keep down the sod and weeds. Have you ever fertilized them with some nitrogen? Sometimes it just takes more than couple years to really get going. The only giant grass that was immediate gratification for me was arundo donax.

Spray early before they send up new growth with glyphosate and simazine, is new growth is present use simazine alone and try to avoid apply directly to new growth. 2-4 quarts simazine per acre or per 3-5 gal of water in small sprayers

July 2nd, 2013

My son Jesse is the "workin' half" of Dbltree Habitat and therefore in charge of photography so it stands to reason he would use something better looking then a "hat" to contrast heights of our 3 year old Miscanthus X Gianteus..his girlfriend Jessica.

The past two summers we had severe droughts but the miscanthus really responded to 3 months of none stop rainfall and should put on even more height as summer heats up!

Top Bottom