Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

November movement

Things were better for me this morning but only slightly. Saw 8 deer. That's as many as I had seen the previous three sits all together. 5 slick heads and three dink bucks. Does still with fawns. 2 of the small bucks seemed more concerned with filling their belly with corn than looking for does. I did finally see a little sign of the rut as the final dink that I saw lightly chased a couple does in the corn field. Been a pretty lackluster November 6th, 7th, and 8th for me. Haven't seen a mature buck yet.

Movement this morning wasn't as good as yesterday morning. Yesterday saw 5 different bucks and 11 does/fawns. This morning saw 5 doe/fawns and one buck. Nothing over 100 inches. I think morning movement is better than evening.

IMO I think we re looking at a trickle rut this year. My first sign of the rut was on Oct 26. Not seeing it every day. Nov 6 was also a good day for rutting activity. But it's just been spotty at best.
you hit the nail on the head! Anytime we have the October full moon it equates to more of a trickle rut

Yesterday was the best action day I have had in years. Incredible action and ended up passing a deer that I planned on shooting

Saw one big old doe wander by just as I got settled in tree about 6:00. Figured that could be the start of a good morning... Then nothing for the next 4 hours but chickadees & squirrels. Poor doe was getting no attention. Headed to house for a cup of coffee at 10:00 & about ran over my #1 buck with the Gator half way to the house. He got out of the way, but not too spooked. Maybe I'll see him again some day under better (for me) circumstances...

Rut? What rut? It's been so on and off I don't know what to do. Bucks are not responding to anything I throw at'em. Some are chasing, some are cruising and others are just out for their morning and afternoon walk. Talk about frustrating. NE Iowa is hot, cold, and everything in between.

Hello all,
Long time reader, first time poster! Sat Friday, Saturday and Sunday in southern warren county. Friday was ok, saw 9 deer and 2 of them were decent bucks traveling together still. No harassing of does. Saturday had 15 deer total. One shooter buck that was just slowly walking in the timber and would not respond to anything. Does were still in decent size groups. Lots of does still have fawns tagging along. Sunday morning did not see a single deer! Been a frustrating start to November for me...

Similar numbers to yesterday but didn't see the first deer until 7. Total of about 20--mostly does with fawns. One little basket that was running laps around my stand, one new buck that had nice split brows but he was acting pretty nonchalant towards the other deer. All told, good deer activity but much less rut action than yesterday. Just need one to flip the switch.

Sat morning and night Friday and Saturday. Better movement in the morning but evening still saw deer. Saw 16 different bucks with 3 shooters. The big boys were locked hard on does. The younger bucks were responsive to grunting/calling. Can't get back out til next weekend and I hope the movement is just as good.

I agree with the trickle rut theory, I have seen tons of little bucks chasing and does wanting none of it and many fawns still with does, I have at least 4 mature bucks on camera less than a week ago and no where to be found while a dink bred a doe 50 yards in front of me in the corn field. I'm guessing they are locked down with others in something wooly. So a few does are definitely in while others days off from it.

Inbetween two doe bedding areas, been in the stand since noon just had my first action...3 yr old 11 pt with split brows cruised by and jumped a ditch. Could have sent an arrow but needs a year. Was definitely in the mood for a date. Hope the action keeps picking up

Best week for mature buck movement according to my cams was October 25-31. Same exact thing last year. Better movement for pre-rut than rut I guess. That's just my neck of the woods.

I think this coming week you will see less rutting activity, but just more in terms of mature bucks. The last 3 days I have finally started to see 3+ yr old bucks albeit most 3ish. Today just like an hour ago I saw my first 5+ buck. Evenings have also seemed to be more productive. Have seen good chasing every evening with so so action mostly bucks cruising in mornings. Just keep telling myself to put yourself in a good situation and one of the bucks will be a shooter.

6 deer all bucks 3 shooters. 1 in range....... snuck in while texting buddy about one of the smaller bucks that came through. Damn cell phones. #$£@?&/^

6 deer all bucks 3 shooters. 1 in range....... snuck in while texting buddy about one of the smaller bucks that came through. Damn cell phones. #$£@?&/^

Saw 2 shooters tonight one wouldn't close the distance 53yds! Heartbreaking, that is hunting. Was a buck I have never seen before.

What this thread needs is some pictures!!

:D

I set up the decoy Friday night and he came up on the short end of a little dustup with a mean looking 2 year old! :D

It was a classic...I could hear the buck grunting just over the hill and after a little runaround with some lady friends he ended up about 40 yards away. I gave him a couple of light grunts and he saw ol' Deke. It was on!

He stopped by the nearest licking branch/scrape and worked that for a couple of minutes and then slowly stiff legged his way over to Deke...and I'll be darned...he snuck up behind him and butt rammed him and blew him up! What did Deke ever do to him? :D

It was hilarious to watch and I was able to film it on my phone.

161-upset-decoy.jpg

Otherwise, deer were definitely on the move this weekend, but I did not see any wild chasing like I expected.

:D

I set up the decoy Friday night and he came up on the short end of a little dustup with a mean looking 2 year old! :D

It was a classic...I could hear the buck grunting just over the hill and after a little runaround with some lady friends he ended up about 40 yards away. I gave him a couple of light grunts and he saw ol' Deke. It was on!

He stopped by the nearest licking branch/scrape and worked that for a couple of minutes and then slowly stiff legged his way over to Deke...and I'll be darned...he snuck up behind him and butt rammed him and blew him up! What did Deke ever do to him? :D

It was hilarious to watch and I was able to film it on my phone.

161-upset-decoy.jpg

Otherwise, deer were definitely on the move this weekend, but I did not see any wild chasing like I expected.

I always wondered if all sheds come off on their own, or if it could be a result of getting dumped by another buck! Bet that was fun to watch, and hope Deke made it thru ok.

Went for an afternoon stalk hunt yesterday (based on slow midday action reports). Didn't see much for movement, other than a couple young small bucks and a coyote. Was hoping to sneak in on something (yeah right with the leaves!) or have something cruising thru the timber. On the way (mid-morning), I saw 10 deer in different fields/pastures. They were far enough away I couldn't tell how big/old, but looked to be bucks following does. Was wishing for permission and a light decoy to try out a reaping hunt! Saw about the same number on the way home in cut beans/corn.

Dad said he jumped a nice 12 pt bedded with a doe in a tree/fence line on the 4th.

Top Bottom