• Dear User,

We had issues in getting your old password work with the new version of the software, henceforth kindly Reset Your Password here

You won't be able to login with your old password

If you do not receive the Password reset request within a few minutes, please check your Junk / Spam E-mail folder just in case the email got delivered there instead of your inbox. If so, select Not Junk, which will allow future messages to get through.

If you still need assistance, email [email protected]

We appreciate your patience and understanding on this matter.

Roundup Ready Corn & Soybean Food Plot

hillrunner

PMA Member
How many sprayings u do- just one? Looks really nice!! You caught that rye before got too big- well done!!! Was the weedy ground previously beans?

I did a burn down plus one post spray. Both fields started as beans last year but the deer hammered one of them so bad that it barely got out of the ground, so I ended up tilling down what was basically just foxtail and seeding rye.

arm

Leg
Will I be alright with 7 acres corn in heavy deer population? Only food outside of some alfalfa in about a 2k acre section

Daver

PMA Member
I'm thinking you'll be ok the first year, maybe 2. Once the deer get used to that plot being there, they'll destroy it if you don't fence it
With corn plots...nothing beats them in the winter...but you have to get your ears to January...and that is not easy. Also, do not neglect the impact of Rocky Raccoon...enough of them can wreck a corn plot all by themselves. You will need to, ahem, "address" this issue too. :)

JNRBRONC

We had a 3 acre corn plot in the middle of 115 acres of switch grass, it was a fair distance from any big timber. The ears were huge, it was some of our best bottom ground, I'd guess 180+ bushel to the acre. I don't think a person could have hand picked a bushel of corn the first week of December, it got absolutely pounded. We saw deer lining up to cross the roads on their way to it in the evenings, half mile away from it. Good luck.

Daver

PMA Member
We had a 3 acre corn plot in the middle of 115 acres of switch grass, it was a fair distance from any big timber. The ears were huge, it was some of our best bottom ground, I'd guess 180+ bushel to the acre. I don't think a person could have hand picked a bushel of corn the first week of December, it got absolutely pounded. We saw deer lining up to cross the roads on their way to it in the evenings, half mile away from it. Good luck.
One of the years that we had "good corn" there were trails coming from every surrounding property, but yes, once they get on it, it can go fast.

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Agree on all above. 1st few years u get away with less.
Several challenges but all remedied.... like u said - coons, not big enough, etc.
deer #’s & proximity to timber or bedding be impacted for sure.
is there plenty of Other ag around?

I’ve had several 3 acre patches on smaller farms with not an insane amount of deer.
been in areas where 5-6 is enough & sometimes takes 10 acres. 3-10 is a big variable. 10 is a big chunk of food!

fence- say 2-3 acres.... pry last a while if u did go that route.

Top Bottom