Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

SF 175- Ravin Crossbows Lobbying for eventual full crossbow use…

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Usually special interests don’t admit to “stepping stones” to get to their goals. Ravin crossbows wants to make a pile of $ off iowa hunters & their concern for any ramifications to the management is: zero. It’s purely $. The people & hunters of iowa didn’t propose or ask for this. The crossbow lobby did. They want it during archery season & like I said earlier- iowa as we know it will no longer be if that happens. We cannot allow it!!!!!!!! I’ve seen this before in 5-6 states that are a disaster!!!!
Read below & please click on link at bottom. The Crossbow stuff- this is HUUUUUGGEEEE!!!! This is a “hill to die on” with what they want & will get if hunters of iowa don’t voice up & write in!!!! This one is CRITICAL!!!! PLEASE click on link below & please urgently write in and ask everyone u know to write in!!!!

F6E137F6-53F4-4C53-98D1-0908E2917D16.jpeg
7BCAA25F-07ED-4F77-9129-31B177B0667D.jpeg
9C6DF114-9AA3-4AD1-A663-1C8D47F6B44D.jpeg

A friend showed me this yesterday afternoon!
Crossgun companies are true evil and are a virus and plague to every states deer herd!
They just go from one state to the next and they don’t give a chit period
With the new shed buck season that was passed last year I have a gut feeling this will be hard to stop. I hope in wrong but I feel the new crowd of elected officials do what they want!
Make no mistake crossguns will be allowed in Iowa just a matter of when…. emails being sent

I'm all for stopping the slippery slope (or at least trying to as I also believe it's a matter of time), but I'm confused about what this bill is actually allowing. It only mentions crossbows in reference to allowing them during the January antlerless season. Bow season already overlaps late muzzleloader, so is it saying you can use your bow tag (w/crossbow) during January antlerless?

I don't get why late muzzleloader is even mentioned.

I’ll add that if you join IBA they make it very easy to click a “take action” button in the body of the emails they send out (like above informing us about SF 175) and it automically populates your Senator aligned with your address with a well worded email outlining why you’re asking they oppose the bill. You can also obviously edit it to your liking.

A friend showed me this yesterday afternoon!
Crossgun companies are true evil and are a virus and plague to every states deer herd!
They just go from one state to the next and they don’t give a chit period
With the new shed buck season that was passed last year I have a gut feeling this will be hard to stop. I hope in wrong but I feel the new crowd of elected officials do what they want!
Make no mistake crossguns will be allowed in Iowa just a matter of when…. emails being sent
Ishi does something here that is very inportant..........he uses the word "crossgun" which is more accurate than the word bow.

Crossguns are devastating. That neighbor you have that only gun hunts will buy a crossgun and hunt the rut and be successful. People who never ever hunted with a bow will buy a crossgun and join the rut. You will see the herd structure change before you eyes. I have see this first hand. As Skip stated above and I have said here before THIS issue is by far a bow hunters worst nightmare. It will change quality quickly.

I'm confused about what this bill is actually allowing.
That’s EXACTLY what they want!!!! “It’s confusing”. “It’s a minor change”. “It’s nothing”. “Who even understands this?!?” They are doing that so it gets passed & next round they are admitting they are going for the full whammy of crossguns in archery season.

I’ll add that if you join IBA they make it very easy to click a “take action” button in the body of the emails they send out (like above informing us about SF 175) and it automically populates your Senator aligned with your address with a well worded email outlining why you’re asking they oppose the bill. You can also obviously edit it to your liking.

That’s what think link is…. “That button”….

I personally like emailing the whole list of legislatures. Takes very little time with copy & paste.

That’s EXACTLY what they want!!!! “It’s confusing”. “It’s a minor change”. “It’s nothing”. “Who even understands this?!?” They are doing that so it gets passed & next round they are admitting they are going for the full whammy of crossguns in archery season.
Exactly - they’re just trying to get a foot in the door & cross the bridge of getting crossguns allowed for general public during a firearm season so that they can then be able to say next year “well it’s already allowed for the public then why wouldn’t it be allowed during the archery season as well”

I'm all for stopping the slippery slope (or at least trying to as I also believe it's a matter of time), but I'm confused about what this bill is actually allowing. It only mentions crossbows in reference to allowing them during the January antlerless season. Bow season already overlaps late muzzleloader, so is it saying you can use your bow tag (w/crossbow) during January antlerless?

I don't get why late muzzleloader is even mentioned.
It's mentioned because it's allowing unfilled bow tags to be filled then with the use of a crossbow. So not only is it introducing crossbows, but now they are also going to plant a stepping stone for allowing unfilled tags to be filled in other seasons.

I emailed my senator, Julian Garrett when I got the IBA email and this is the response I got:

Many people believe we have too many deer and the numbers should be reduced. Thank you for contacting me.

Julian

I obviously don’t like his response have responded accordingly, but yes everyone email and send letters to “our” legislators as we’ve seen what happened in adjacent states.

I emailed my senator, Julian Garrett when I got the IBA email and this is the response I got:

Many people believe we have too many deer and the numbers should be reduced. Thank you for contacting me.

Julian

I obviously don’t like his response have responded accordingly, but yes everyone email and send letters to “our” legislators as we’ve seen what happened in adjacent states.

^^^^THIS is an obstacle we need to be aware of and address with these politicians being taken to the cleaners by cross gun lobby or those owned by Farm Bureau. FACTS:
- to start…. realize he’s clearly not a hunter & has no concept of deer management. Understand that none of these politicians are deer hunters or serious deer hunters or have the first clue about Iowa’s quality management vs other states. So- his ignorant response is because he was lobbied & drank the koolaid or he simply doesn’t understand any of this!!!…

-MAIN POINTS…..
1)cross-guns have little to nothing to do with deer population!!! This law is not being lobbied because of deer #’s (it’s to sell crossguns).

2) he’s in an area that’s in the top 10% of timbered areas of iowa (WARREN county). To respond to “deer numbers too high” …. The discussion has zero to do with crossguns and everything to do with the quota in those counties. If the quotas of those counties are too low- the legislature & DNR can discuss & adjust those quotas!!!! *4+ months of deer season, 7 seasons & 6++ weapon choices!!!

3) the next solution on “hey politician- I have too many deer!!! I’m mad & im writing in to u!!!”….. Heres standard iowa procedure for those people!!! They call their DNR officer…. “I have too many deer”. The dnr officer has a list of waiting hunters that will get a call & come hunt does. They can each buy 5 doe tags per day per hunter until quota is reached. I know many farmers who have done this!!!! They can also enroll their land in walk-in hunting. Easy & many cases they will get paid to do it!!!! All this is after they have countless people knocking on their doors to hunt or after they spread the word around the neighborhood they want more hunters!!’
Does anyone believe these farmers can’t find people to hunt?!?!!? They may not be aware of how easy it is TODAY to get guys immediately placed on their land to kill does…. They need to be made aware!!!!!
This legislatures response is wrong on its face, misguided & I truly question his real intentions as there’s so many other real solutions that currently exist!!!!!!!!

I sent letters yesterday to members of the Iowa Legislature apposing SF-175. I did receive a couple of responses already. Liz Bennett is not in favor of this bill and let me know she did not vote for it even though is passed through with the majority. I also heard from Art Staed who also does not support SF-175. This is the list with contacts. It is very important our voice is heard on this issue. It could be the end to bowhunting as we know it.

annette.sweeney@legis.iowa.gov

tom.shipley@legis.iowa.gov

izaah.knox@legis.iowa.gov

liz.bennett@legis.iowa.gov
claire.celsi@legis.iowa.gov

chris.cournoyer@legis.iowa.gov
rocky.dewitt@legis.iowa.gov

dawn.driscoll@legis.iowa.gov

lynn.evans@legis.iowa.gov

jesse.green@legis.iowa.gov

ken.rozenboom@legis.iowa.gov

dan.zumbach@legis.iowa.gov

tom.jeneary@legis.iowa.gov

ken.carlson@legis.iowa.gov

adam.zabner@legis.iowa.gov

ako.abdul-samad@legis.iowa.gov

timi.brown-powers@legis.iowa.gov

dean.fisher@legis.iowa.gov

dan.gehlbach@legis.iowa.gov

thomas.gerhold@legis.iowa.gov

helena.hayes@legis.iowa.gov

heather.hora@legis.iowa.gov

david.jacoby@legis.iowa.gov

kenan.judge@legis.iowa.gov

shannon.latham@legis.iowa.gov

elinor.levin@legis.iowa.gov

norlin.mommsen@legis.iowa.gov

j.d.scholten@legis.iowa.gov

brad.sherman@legis.iowa.gov

art.staed@legis.iowa.gov

sharon.steckman@legis.iowa.gov

luana.stoltenberg@legis.iowa.gov

mark.thompson@legis.iowa.gov

jeff.taylor@legis.iowa.gov
jim.lykam@legis.iowa.gov
nate.boulton@legis.iowa.gov
sarah.trone.garriott@legis.iowa.gov
todd.taylor@legis.iowa.gov
molly.donahue@legis.iowa.gov

Email sent to list above. Thanks for posting that list and making it easy.

I encourage you to also use the voter voice option through the IBA. This provides concrete evidence of X number of people opposing bills vs just emails that may or may not be counted as a voice. Example: the 5 automatic replies I just got right after sending email to list above. Who knows if they read those emails. Emails are great and need to be sent but too many times a few of these legislators claim they are not hearing from people. Excuses on their part.
As an IBA member you should be receiving one weakly email on legislative updates. If you are not getting these emails contact them please. Also info gets posted on their website.

Email sent to list above. Thanks for posting that list and making it easy.

I encourage you to also use the voter voice option through the IBA. This provides concrete evidence of X number of people opposing bills vs just emails that may or may not be counted as a voice. Example: the 5 automatic replies I just got right after sending email to list above. Who knows if they read those emails. Emails are great and need to be sent but too many times a few of these legislators claim they are not hearing from people. Excuses on their part.
As an IBA member you should be receiving one weakly email on legislative updates. If you are not getting these emails contact them please. Also info gets posted on their website.
Maybe I missed it, but where is the IBA voter voice option?

Top Bottom