Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

SF277

SF 363 formerly 277 passed committee last week and was assigned to ways and means yesterday. Today a sub committee was assigned, I assume for ways and means, consisting of Driscoll, dickey and dotzler. This bill gives NR family members half priced tags.

Last edited:
LET’S BOIL THIS DOWN!!!!!! THIS BILL and the HF bill that allows LO’s to sell 2 tags to highest NR bidder will have these results (as very similar was done in kansas & had to be reversed as it was a DISASTER)!!!….

1) every year Resident hunters ask LO’s for permission. Especially new or younger hunters (permission is #1 way of access in iowa as we are almost dead last for public land). If these go through - a vast # of permission hunters that check in to go hunting that year will be told NO. “Sorry, we have other hunters now”. We’ve all experienced this. Think of it when every LO can get special tags & how many Residents will be displaced!!!!
2) both are an enforcement nightmare for the dnr. Folks on land they suppose to be or digging into the family tree for on who should or shouldn’t have these.
3) with <8% timber & access declining + resident new hunter #’s declining - u think this will help or hurt that? Of course this is going to kill access & drive down hunter #’s.
4) like other states that have sold out their hunting - every parcel is locked up or leased…. What happens to hunting #’s? Let’s use one of 10+ as an example… MI!!!! My favorite state…. They have lost almost 1/3rd their deer hunters in 25 years (access cited as main reason). When iowa loses more hunters & doe #’s in pockets get out of hand- who they gonna ask to solve this? When the hunters actually QUIT. when REVENUE from res tag sales implodes- where will they get the funding?

This will flood iowa with NR hunters. Both will. The NR’s will lock the farm up like is already happening with leasing, just a more vast rate. Residents will literally be destroyed by this.
This is coming from someone that could sell tags or have more people come hunt on me. & from someone that these bills won’t impact one bit since I own what I own. I say this because these bills will destroy the rest of the state. They will destroy the new hunters looking for access (I used to be that kid!!!!!). These literally would destroy what makes iowa - iowa. These are the 2 worst bills in the legislature IMO by a long shot!!!!

Skip. This one is different. There are two bills. This one provides NR family members tags at half price. There’s another bill, HF 322, the gives free tags to a land unit owner to transfer or sell to anyone. This bill passed sub committee but has not been addressed by full committee.

Skip. This one is different. There are two bills. This one provides NR family members tags at half price. There’s another bill, HF 322, the gives free tags to a land unit owner to transfer or sell to anyone. This bill passed sub committee but has not been addressed by full committee.
Ya- to clarify- I meant to say- 2 different bills. The end result or the impact are actually pretty similar. The one where u can sell the tags to the highest bidder is for sure worse. But both would be a knee cap blow to our state & access. Like- lights out, “what the heck just happened?!?!” In regards to every hunter that hunts on permission ground

SF 363, formerly 277, passed sub committee today with amendment. Amendment not stated. On 03/01 this was referred to ways and means and sub committee assigned. That sub committee passed it today.

Not good at all... Who do we need to contact now?

I sure wish some of the big named celebrities or hunting pages in Iowa would help fight these bills but nope - silence.
Agreed, but they are likely afraid of possible backlash or turn off from their followers, subscribers, etc.

Agreed, but they are likely afraid of possible backlash or turn off from their followers, subscribers, etc.

I get it and I'm not the one running the business and making money but from an outsider, fighting for something that helped make you famous/money or run your business seems like a decent reason to purge a couple followers/subscribers. All about the $$$.

I get it and I'm not the one running the business and making money but from an outsider, fighting for something that helped make you famous/money or run your business seems like a decent reason to purge a couple followers/subscribers. All about the $$$.
I think there's alot of them that are thinking of ways to get more tags with this one. Now Taylor Drury can get an Iowa buck tag and live out west and get those resident perks also.

Not good at all... Who do we need to contact now?

I sure wish some of the big named celebrities or hunting pages in Iowa would help fight these bills but nope - silence.
I wouldn't doubt that the celebrities are behind these bills. These people aren't like Skip. Skip has already said these bills don't affect him personally. Same with the big names. The big names will be among the only ones who are benefitted. Only difference is Skip is fighting for the good of all. I bet the big names won't be....they'll be for themselves and making money.

Amen. You can grow huge deer to shoot on video in any state with enough acreage. None of these bills affect the Iowa video stars. Not one.

Amen. You can grow huge deer to shoot on video in any state with enough acreage. None of these bills affect the Iowa video stars. Not one.
True .. there is a family in Minnesota that has 640 prime acres . Insane nice stuff. They have shot 5 or 6 Booners. They do archery only and have a giant sanctuary!

I'm fully aware this wont hurt them and will allow them to have more out of state hunters on their properties which will create more videos and more revenue for them. I'm just saying I wish someone would fight for the greater good on this and not purely how it would benefit them. Or at the very least just educate people as to what is being proposed. You don't have to take a stand one way or another on it but there are so many hunters that have no clue what is being proposed. If they aren't on this forum or a member of the IBA there just isn't widespread information out there.

Two weeks ago the Trophy Bucks of Iowa facebook page shared one post from the IBA about the bills and their comment was "Thoughts?" and it is the post with the least amount of engagement that I could find recently.

Two weeks ago the Trophy Bucks of Iowa facebook page shared one post from the IBA about the bills and their comment was "Thoughts?" and it is the post with the least amount of engagement that I could find recently.

I agree completely, by far the majority of hunters have no clue bills like this are being introduced. Yeah i saw that post by TBI, basically had no responses or anything. Be cool to see trophy bucks of iowa pick the side of these bills that would continue to produce more trophy bucks and then actively start posting trying to get followers to write in.

I agree completely, by far the majority of hunters have no clue bills like this are being introduced. Yeah i saw that post by TBI, basically had no responses or anything. Be cool to see trophy bucks of iowa pick the side of these bills that would continue to produce more trophy bucks and then actively start posting trying to get followers to write in.
Glad someone else thinks like I do!

This link!!!!^^^^^
How u stop it….. write a concise personal quick message. THEN!!!!….. get everyone u know to do it!!!….. spend time to text, email & put on ur social media, whatever. I literally texted links to everyone in my phone that discusses hunting, land, habitat, etc. Send them link & quick info. Has to happen!!!!

GUYS!!! ….. this also drives me insane!!!…. the folks that “made their living”, “got to the pinnacle” or “benefit from iowa being the last great state” & won’t say a peep!!! I’ve personally talked to a large handful of these folks lately & bottom lined it tactfully, discussed all & said “U gonna help defend this state or not?” & there’s gonna be majority that will. a few that are too bought & paid for to help. But most will.
Agree most the voices are silent. There’s gonna be some that do speak up soon or take some action.

LET ME BOTTON LINE THIS!!!!….. “the deer classic”, “TBI”, THIS SITE, every big shed u find, all the giants iowa produces, all the hunting shows on tv/YouTube - they only exist because of our regulations, IBA & hunters defending this state. Without that - all those guys would never have done what they did.

I’ve been on all sides of spectrum…. Kid with no where to go. Losing permission non stop. Hunting junk ruined land & states. To 30 years later knowing I never have to worry about this again in my life. But to ignore the targeted ruination of this last great state is something I’ll never stop fighting. EVER. Ain’t one bit about myself. This is your kids, my kids, everyday hunters, new hunters, most of current hunters across iowa & future generations. We are getting stronger & making a difference & I assure u- there’s some conversations being had about who is willing to defend this state & who isn’t. You all Keep on this. We will win if we keep doing this. Send that link to everyone u know. Same with crossbow one. We can & will win this if we keep on it. Once we kill these…. Offense is growing. We are getting stronger & lot of reasons I say that. Keep fighting this winning battle & a hill to die on!!! Thx guys!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom