Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Soil Quality Requirements for Switch/NWSG

KSHUNTER

PMA Member
I purchased land in July and did not get full control until October 31<SUP>st</SUP> when he had to pull his cattle off. So this year I was able to put in 5 acres of rye in. The Rye will be plowed under this spring to put organic material back into the soil, and start the rebuilding process.

The farm I bought has 60 acres of brush, but for the last ten years has been heavily/overgrazed by cattle leaving little to no browse and a very open atmosphere. I have already walked the property with the State forester that basically told me there are no quality logs on my place and that the last time it was logged (walnut) that the logger basically mined it and left zero good logs to continue to grow, and now elm and hackberry have pretty well filled in. So with no potential for screwing up valuable logs I will go in late winter and pick an area to start a several year project of hinge cutting girdling. I have also applied through EQIP and WHIP for planting screening cover around the perimeter of the property and some other projects.
<O:p</O:p
My question is: On two areas of the farm there is very little tree growth and fairly open areas back in the brush. I know that since the cattle have been pulled they will start to regenerate, but I’m wondering about going in clearing a few trees to fully open the area and plant switch or NWSG. One opening is about 3 acres and the other about 1.5 acres but both areas have shallow soils, my soil map says the soil is Eram Silty Clay. Will these soils support switch grass or NWSG or does the soil have to be better quality of soil? My plan is to clear this summer, kill next fall, and then frost seed.
<O:p</O:p
Thanks for any input.

Eram Silty Clay. Will these soils support switch grass or NWSG or does the soil have to be better quality of soil? My plan is to clear this summer, kill next fall, and then frost seed.

NWSG should do fine there and you may find that once you kill the cool seasons that some natives may return on their own.

Your plan sounds sound to me...:)

My dad used to be a beef cattle farmer. He allowed the cows to graze in the timber and our riverbottom before us kids were old enough to bowhunt and he bowhunted elsewhere. He sold the cattle awhile back and it didn't take long for the cover to come back. It is thick now. Lots of raspberry bushes and it holds deer very well. This is NE Iowa however. If the cattle are gone, I believe the growth will return.

Top Bottom