Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

South Dakota??

THA4

A Few Steps Ahead Of You
I am looking to do a South Dakota archery hunt this spring and was wondering if any of you guys had any suggestions? Not looking for a full Merriams badlands hunt, just something in South Dakota.

I want to keep this affordable, but still get out before Iowa's season in a state I have yet to kill a turk in.

Thoughts?

Can't help ya much with SD, but if you are willing to travel a bit further to Wyoming, I could show you some spots. They upped their limit to 2 birds last year and there is lots of state land around Devils Tower that is loaded with birds. Nice lodging in Hulett or you set up a camp. Beautiful views and lots of birds. We killed these 3 the first morning :way:

picture.php

Last edited:
yes... very tempting..... beautiful birds and awesome country...

DIY?

South Dakota

I would take a hard look at Gregory County SD. Lots of public land along the Missouri River breaks, absolutely beautiful country and tons of turkeys. We hunted private land and it took a whoppin' 45 minutes to get my turkey.

There are farmers who will allow you to take a turkey on private as well, just so many of them, and several farmers do not hunt turkey. I have always wanted to go back, but it just hasn't worked out for me.

Great area, and fairly easy to hunt.

You don't know me from a hole in the ground, Thomas, but meet me over in NM for 2 OTC tags and chasing Merriams in their native habitat. Its about a day and a half from there to over in NM and I've got a good camper.

You don't know me from a hole in the ground, Thomas, but meet me over in NM for 2 OTC tags and chasing Merriams in their native habitat. Its about a day and a half from there to over in NM and I've got a good camper.

Thats on my hitlist too... I'd love to take you up on that... Kinda on a restricted budget this year... :grin:

Thats on my hitlist too... I'd love to take you up on that... Kinda on a restricted budget this year... :grin:

I understand about budgets! I'm still deciding between going to NM or down to South Texas to try and finally tag a Rio. I know several places in NM and the offer is always there!

AZ sucks for NRs, yet people still try for the elk and mule deer. You HAVE to purchase a $151 NR hunting license to be considered in the lottery for the species you are trying to get a tag for. It used to be that you could opt out of the license if you don't get drawn, but after a lawsuit by out of state outfitters a few years ago, AGFD went this route to make it tougher for NRs (my opinion). The species tag $$ for NRs varies: $$77.75 for turkey, $105 for javelina, $232.75 for deer, $485 for antelope, $595 for elk, $1407.50 for Bighorn sheep, and $5452.25 for bull bison (cheaper for cows and yearlings). And if you want to start building bonus points, you have to buy a NR license every year.

I absolutely hate this because it makes it cost prohibitive for friends and family to come hunt with me most of the time. Of course, we have some of the biggest bull elk, biggest mule deer, 1 of 2 states to have Coue's whitetail and Gould's turkeys. Of course, you can get a NR archery deer tag over-the-counter and hunt muleys and Coue's whitetail while they are in velvet in August/September and in the rut December/January, which is what a lot of guys end up doing when they don't get an elk tag or the deer tag they want. OTC archery tags are also by calendar year and you are allowed only 1 deer/year so if you get a deer in January, you are done for the entire year and can't apply for the various fall (Oct-Dec) general hunts.

I've been holding out for my Gould's turkey tag since Spring 2009. I'll have 10 bonus points going into the 2013 draw. In the mean time, I either skip over to NM for 2 OTC turkey tags for about $125 or head to south Texas for the same scenario (although its a day and a half drive as opposed to a few hours to NM). I also picked up a leftover turkey tag for the North Kaibab National Forest (north of the Grand Canyon) for early May.

Having said that, you are welcome ANYTIME, Matt. All you have to do is get here and I'll cover food and most drinks (Maker's Mark is your responsibility). I'm heading out next weekend for an archery hunt for javelina and desert mule deer with my daughter and a buddy. Stay tuned!

I am looking to do a South Dakota archery hunt this spring and was wondering if any of you guys had any suggestions? Not looking for a full Merriams badlands hunt, just something in South Dakota.

I want to keep this affordable, but still get out before Iowa's season in a state I have yet to kill a turk in.

Thoughts?
look at double k guide service with Dave keiser in Gregory SD. This guy has some of the best turkey hunting in the us guaranteed. You will not be disappointed. They should have a website.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
  • Deleted by N/A
Show…
Cooter said:
Had nothing to do with how fancy the setup was. I wasn't expecting the Hilton.

Just some of the situations and spots I was put in.

If you want more detail I can go into it.

Not necessary. Some of the spots are a little odd for sure. What bothered me is how trashy some of his areas are. A few locations are quite scenic and full of birds. I haven't made the trip in 4 years or so and probably won't again.

I hunted with him. Wasn't that impressed.

DIY would be much better just a little more footwork.

Dedgeez can you hook a guy up?

After reading many of your posts on this site I am sure that not much does impress you. If Jay Gregory and the double bulls guys hunt with him I would think he must do ok. But then again maybe they don't know anything either by your standards. Over the last couple years he started doing some videos and is setups and land access have improved.

Last edited:
  • Deleted by N/A
Show…
Thomas give me a buzz or shoot me an email, I got a very good spot for SD turks, cheap hunt, lots and lots and lots of birds and no guides to worry about.

Kratz

Top Bottom