Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turkey Broadheads

[ QUOTE ]
Muddy
I wonder what a taxidermist could do with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shake his head and swear in frustration?
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Went to the Gobbler Guillotine, track job was about 4 feet!

[/ QUOTE ]

and diameter of the blood spray circle was 10 feet!!

Looks like the bird was pretty-well drenched in his own blood!

I have a couple of GG ready to try but am wondering about carrying a couple of Grim Reapers as backups? Any problems with the Reapers on turkeys?

Like any decent expandable I would have no problems using a reaper as back up. I say go for it!

I just picked up a 3 pack of the 1-3/4 100 grain jak-hammers. I tied the blades down and test shot them into my broadhead target. Right on the spot (to the best of my shooting). The blades are .036 and the head appears to be very solid. Now all I need are turkeys for the final test.

[ QUOTE ]
I just picked up a 3 pack of the 1-3/4 100 grain jak-hammers. I tied the blades down and test shot them into my broadhead target. Right on the spot (to the best of my shooting). The blades are .036 and the head appears to be very solid. Now all I need are turkeys for the final test.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad to hear that! I picked some up on the way back from the classic. Haven't had a chance to test them yet!
cool.gif

I used the 2" Rocket hammerhead this year, shot my bird at 5yds and he walked ten and when he fell he didn't move. They worked awsome. As for now I'll continue using them.

I was wondering if there would be any clearance issues. I'm just wondering at short range it would be a better way to shoot at turkeys.

I'm considering doing this with spitfires, if that makes any difference.

Draw back with one open, see if it clears. If it were me I'd just buy a fixed blade head and not take any chances.

[ QUOTE ]
Does anybody shoot their expandable's already open????

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious as to why you want to do this?

I was thinking of adding a second or third "rubber band" to my Jakhammers so that it took lots of energy to open them (the arrow dumps the energy in the bird, hopefully penetrates but doesn't pass through).

Before Muddy gives me grief, Yes, a person does have to hit the bird first!
bootyshake.gif
grin.gif

Randy,
There is no reason to add rubber bands. I have killed 12 gobblers with jak hammers and you want to blow as big of hole in them as possible. I have never subscribed to the "keep the arrow in the bird" camp. Blow through em with a 1.75 to 2 inch expandable and they aren't going anywhere...
waytogo.gif

Thanks for the correction, Limb!

If anybody would know, it'd be you.
bow.gif

Now, better ramp up the practice time!

Wasn't a correction just some advice that is worth about 2 bits...
grin.gif

I happen to know that weapon you are using quite well...
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Now, better ramp up the practice time!

[/ QUOTE ]

You work on your shooting, I'll work on blind placement, this spring should be a DONE DEAL.

[I'm curious as to why you want to do this?]

I was thinking of this for 2 reasons:

1 If they were close enough I was going to try to shoot them in the base of the neck.

2 I thought a bigger entrance hole would lead to a quicker recovery.

Waukon1, If you want to shoot them in the neck or the head you should just use the Gobbler Guillotine.

Top Bottom