Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best way to estimate draw length?

Stand with your bow arm out and make a fist. Put it against the wall and measure from the wall to your anchor point (corner of mouth) Make sure he is in the "shooting position". This should get you within a 1/4 inch :way:

doing it jc64241's way my draw would be 37.5 and dedgeez it would be 29. I shoot a 28 with a d loop! So I would say go with dedgeez's way.

I've heard jc64241's way except I believe it is divide by 2.5. There is probably no way to get it perfect until you have a bow in hand and shoot it, but those should get you close.

I thought i read somewhere to measure fingertip to fingertip. Subtract 15. Then divide by 2. (Dont know if this is correct or not)

Yeah you need to divide by 2.5. I was told put ur nose up to the wall, extend arms (but not stretching), have a friend mark the outer most finger pts, and divide by 2.5

Sent from my iPhone using IW

:D ! I will be the odd man out here and say..He's gonna buy a bow ! Why would he not go to a shop and let them do it right?? :confused: Why would you dink around in the boy's club, when you can go to a guy that DOES THAT and get it right????? :thrwrck:

:D ! I will be the odd man out here and say..He's gonna buy a bow ! Why would he not go to a shop and let them do it right?? :confused: Why would you dink around in the boy's club, when you can go to a guy that DOES THAT and get it right????? :thrwrck:

Always a spoiler..hint hint...thats what forums are for. ..to share ideas!!!

He wants to shoot and wants to buy a bow yes. But was laid of from work for a while and cannot afford a new one, I guess I am a DA for trying to help a good friend out. My thinking is that if my old bow is close for him then we can take it to a shop and have it fine tuned in as the closet shop for us is an hour away. If mine does not fit him then atleast we know what we need to look for, but how dare I ask a question....:thrwrck:

He wants to shoot and wants to buy a bow yes. But was laid of from work for a while and cannot afford a new one, I guess I am a DA for trying to help a good friend out. My thinking is that if my old bow is close for him then we can take it to a shop and have it fine tuned in as the closet shop for us is an hour away. If mine does not fit him then atleast we know what we need to look for, but how dare I ask a question....:thrwrck:

Most bow shops have used bows that they'll fit you to. When one of my friends got into archery a few years back he bought a used Switchback XT and the shop fit him to a different cam. They had the cam in stock and just swapped cams. Most shops will work with you even if you're not buying new.

Most bow shops have used bows that they'll fit you to. When one of my friends got into archery a few years back he bought a used Switchback XT and the shop fit him to a different cam. They had the cam in stock and just swapped cams. Most shops will work with you even if you're not buying new.

Yep exactly what we are looking to do. I already checked with the shop and they will do just that. I have bought all of my bows there, gear and will be buying my new bow there as well. My bow is a 29 and can only be adjusted as low as a 27 with new mods, cannot go lower than that at all. Only wanted to get a rough estimate to see where he will fall in at as it is also tough to coordinate a time for him to get to the shop when they are open. I am going to let him use this until he can afford to buy either it or another one of his choosing. He is a bit shorter than me, but I would suspect he is going to be atleast a 27.

Last edited:
If your bow will draw 29" and you think that his draw will be a little shorter then why not just have him draw a full length arrow to anchor and just mark and measure the arrow? The shops all used to use a simple draw arrow and might still, but i haven't been in one for many many years. Once you know an accurate draw length then they can go about setting up the bow for that length, or he could just shoot a recurve or long bow where the length isn't that critical.

Easiest way to find draw IMO is take your wingspan, which is generally the same in inches as your body height. Then divide by 2.5. In my case im 6'1"= 73" / 2.5= 29.2. I shoot a 29.5 instead of 29.25 or 29 because I like the extra few grains. This would be useful if you were buying used online or from a friend! BUT.....I would recommend getting it done by a pro shop!

If your bow will draw 29" and you think that his draw will be a little shorter then why not just have him draw a full length arrow to anchor and just mark and measure the arrow? The shops all used to use a simple draw arrow and might still, but i haven't been in one for many many years. Once you know an accurate draw length then they can go about setting up the bow for that length, or he could just shoot a recurve or long bow where the length isn't that critical.

x2:D:D:D

pretend to draw just a long arrow

put the string groove near corner of mouth and mark the end over your hand

look up draw length standard on web to see how to do it on a bow that will help

Top Bottom