Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer Season Costs

SCOFFIN

Miles Coffin
Went out and pulled down all my stands and cam's yesterday. Had another card stolen, which sucked, but got me thinking.. "How much did this last deer season cost me??" While not an exact number, this is probably close.

Gas - Appx 8 tanks @ $3 = $600 (probably on the light side) This includes summer running cam's and setting stands to actual hunting.

Tags - 2 Statewide and 2 Antlerless (2 went unfilled) $94

Equip stolen - 2 cards, one stand, 15 steps, 1 bow holder $175

Cam Batteries - $30

Taxi Bill - $400 (easiest to swallow since it's a personal best buck)

Deer Processing - $100 for around 70lbs of deer meat mixed with beef.

Corn/Salt/Mineral Blocks - $100

Total - $1499 which we might as well call $1500.

Total per pound of meat appx $21/pound..

I'm sure my estimate is on the light side, but was kinda fun to figure out that Deer Burger is definitely not cheaper than buying beef in the store..

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't want to know.

Last year I started keeping track out of curiosity how much I was spending on my son's youth wrestling season. After week 3 I quit. It was starting to take the fun out of it. Now we just go and enjoy it.

I think it would take the fun out of it if I knew what I spent on a hunting season.

I know it's a pricy sport. That's kinda a small price to pay for the enjoyment I got out of it. How much is a cruise or a vacation. I'll take this any day when compared to how much that stuff costs. If I ever have to add in Lease costs, that will be the day I consider giving it up.

It's definitely cheaper to go to the grocery store. I am planning an antelope trip and I'm already $750 deep into it and haven't even applied for tags. I'm planning on a GPS unit (pry another $250), then a wyoming chip for it (another $100), camping stuff, my tags ($516), so this trip will pry approach $2k and I'll be lucky if I bring home 30# of meat. Then, figure in another $500 to mount if I get a decent buck.

But, it's all in the fun of the sport.

Three resident tags + licenses - $117.50
One new trail camera and batteries - $120.00
Bullets, powder, broadheads and misc. gear - $100.00
Fuel - $150.00
Having the chance to hunt the most amazing animal on earth, spend time with good friends and enjoy life in the outdoors - Worth every penny and more.

I should probably take my hourly pay rate X the number of hours thinking about deer hunting and being on this site during work and add that back in. I'm probably in the black if I consider that into things..

Many Many Many hours of entertainment.

The other day my wife was complaining about how much money I spent this past season. I said "I didn't spend that much" to my surprise she said, you want to see and pulls up a spread sheet on the computer of my hunting expenses. Of course the stuff she didn't no about wasn't on there. Lol

Gas - Appx 8 tanks @ $3 = $600

Tags - 2 Statewide and 2 Antlerless (2 went unfilled) $94

Equip stolen - 2 cards, one stand, 15 steps, 1 bow holder $175

Cam Batteries - $30

Taxi Bill - $400 (easiest to swallow since it's a personal best buck)

Deer Processing - $100 for around 70lbs of deer meat mixed with beef.

Corn/Salt/Mineral Blocks - $100

Another year hunting in the great state of Iowa... priceless.

Since you have alot of time...... break down everything else in your life, the cost, the pay out!!! Buy a gun ! Put the barrel in your mouth and pull the trigger!!!!!!! :way: :D Amazing!!!!!!!!!!

My biggest fear is that for some reason I die and my wife sells all my gear for the price that I told her I paid for it......

Dude, why must you itemize your entire hunting costs??? You make me feel a little guilty.

I bought two cameras, 2 new stands, a nice harness, binoculars, and am about to drop $1000 on a bow. I feel a little guilty hiding all these costs from the wife, and straight up lied about what this bow is gonna cost... but what the hell. It's my favorite thing.

Top Bottom