Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Discussion for 2008 Non Resident Results

I am wondering how many guys will not come out due to high fuel prices? Or people nervous about the economy which has been for at least last year, not coming out to hunt.
It's amazing to think, for example, many outfitters charge $3,000 per hunt, then roughly $375 for tag, say $300 for gas, $425 for mounting deer if you get buck, other obvious expenses. I can see many instances where a guy will spend $5,000 for a five day hunt, WOWSERS! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
I do think raising gas, tag prices, poor economy, improving hunting elsewhere - might change application rates a little bit.

thanks for letting me know - the link has been modified /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Hey there. My hunting partner and I got drawn for an Iowa bow tag. Third year applying. Jesse at JHO suggested I sign up for this site. I just started hunting five years ago, mostly waterfowl, some pigs. Never saw a deer in all my bow hunts out here in California, so I'm really excited to hunt the legendary Iowa Whitetail. Any advice will be appreciated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> so I'm really excited to hunt the legendary Iowa Whitetail. Any advice will be appreciated. </div></div>

zenhunter. You can do yourself a big justice by keeping close track of whats going on here. You could even search some old post's on topics your interested in. Lots of helpful and knowledgable hunters here. Don't be afraid to ask.

Okay, I'll start a discussion. Got to: DNR NR draw and type in Smith or Jones. Start looking at who was awarded and who was denied and try to make some sense of it. Seems like lots of people without points were drawn while people with points weren't. Maybe points don't weigh that much in the draw. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Also, start typing in the names of hunting celebs and tell me who you find. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Start looking at who was awarded and who was denied and try to make some sense of it. Seems like lots of people without points were drawn while people with points weren't. Maybe points don't weigh that much in the draw.</div></div>

I'm pretty sure that when it says awarded that they reset the preference points to zero.

That's funny. I always check celebs' names right after I check my own.

Jerry Martin...denied
Johnny Morris...awarded (could be Bass Pro owner, don't know)
Ralph & Vicki Cianciarulo...both denied
Bill Jordan...denied (was denied last yr too, I remember checking)
David Blanton...denied (but got a tag last yr)
Michael Waddell...awarded

Thanks, moosehunter, I will be keepin' tabs on what the experts here are talking about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sligh1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am wondering how many guys will not come out due to high fuel prices? Or people nervous about the economy which has been for at least last year, not coming out to hunt.
It's amazing to think, for example, many outfitters charge $3,000 per hunt, then roughly $375 for tag, say $300 for gas, $425 for mounting deer if you get buck, other obvious expenses. I can see many instances where a guy will spend $5,000 for a five day hunt, WOWSERS! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
I do think raising gas, tag prices, poor economy, improving hunting elsewhere - might change application rates a little bit. </div></div>

Not being a smart ace, but anyone who is going through an outfitter really doens't worry about the amount of money that you just listed above.

I would suspect some of the "celebs" of deer hunting try and get the Governor's tags BECAUSE Iowa needs more publicity to promote deer hunting. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
For people paying outfitters, I agree, I'd say 70% it isn't as crucial BUT I'd say there's actually a decent number that is, I'd say a good number of people going with outfitters is "Middle-class" where $5k is a nice chunk of money. Just my opinion.

I just bought a point, so i got 3 now and next year i should be good to GO !! I could get a Governors tag if i wanted to since i WAS famous at one time !!

Nonresident deer drawing results: 2008
From IDNR:

There were 11,470 applications for 6,000 either-sex deer licenses. All of the quotas were filled in the initial drawing. There are no left over either-sex licenses available in any zone. The quota of 3,500 optional nonresident antlerless licenses will go on sale on July 26th. Nonresidents can check to see their results for the nonresident drawing on line at http://www.iowadnr.gov .

Table 1. Results from the 2008 nonresident deer drawing.
-____-----Bow-----_--------Odds of----Gun------------Odds of
Zone----Quota---Applied Drawing Quota---Applied Drawing
1---------63--------104-------61%-------117-------133-------88%
2---------63--------96--------66%-------117-------130-------90%
3---------196-------432-------45%-------364-------462-------79%
4---------448-------1,192-----38%-------832-------1,528-----54%
5---------560-------1,521-----37%-------1,040-----1,766-----59%
6---------280-------699-------40%-------520-------684-------76%
7---------126-------347-------36%-------234-------442-------53%
8---------84--------166-------51%-------156-------171-------91%
9---------210-------590-------36%-------390-------737-------53%
10--------70--------128-------55%-------130-------142-------92%
Total-----2,100-----5,275-----40%-------3,900-----6,195-----63%

Forty six percent of the nonresident applications were for an archery license. Forty percent of those that applied for an archery license drew a license. The odds of drawing a license ranged from 36% in Zones 7 and 9 to 66% in Zone 2. One hundred twenty four hunters drew bow licenses in Zones 1, 2 and 10 without a preference point. One hundred fourteen hunters in zone 5 and 9 did not draw licenses even with 2 preference points. It took 2 preference points to be guaranteed of drawing a license in Zones 3, 4, 6 and 7. Everyone with a preference point was awarded a license in Zones 1, 2, 8 and 10.
Fifty four percent of the applications were for a firearms license. Sixty three percent of those that applied were successful in drawing a license. The odds of drawing a license for a firearm ranged from 53% in zones 7 and 9 to 91% in Zone 8. Everyone who applied with a preference point was awarded a license for the firearms season and 48% of those without a preference point drew a license for the firearms season.

The above list and info is good stuff. I often wondered how this actually broke out and really gives good info on odds.
Great work and thanks for putting in the time to do it.

From a non-resident- I have to say the economy is definitely a concern - I had 3 points so have not hunted Iowa in quite some time (Next to my name it says "o" for points so they are reset-numbers showing are current points after this draw)I personally will spend the money to come out and hunt once every four years (archery) as I feel it is worth it. I have however cut down on other outings and hunts. I did not draw my elk tag and actually am thrilled that I didn't as it would have been a stretch to do both hunts this year due to rising fuel costs and paricularly utility bills, etc cutting into discretionary funds. I know several outfitters around the country and most have down numbers and less booked hunts that I have spoken with due to the economy. Guided hunts are getting more expensive all the times and going higher but the economic reality of disposable income, particularly for middle class america, is decreasing meaning the two don't meet anymore so I see everyone, including myself cutting back in coming years.

Miranda Lambert, Blake Shelton...DENIED both were on the governers list last year. Jackie Bushman...DENIED.

It seems as though most of the denials were for bow hunters. I wonder if these people would have went for shotgun or muzzleloader if they would have still been denied. I'm not entirely sure how the process, but it would appear that most of these "celebs" are being treated like normal joes in the main-draw. I wonder how many will still pull a "governers tag"?

Top Bottom