Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Final deer rules

Looks like I'll give the November Antlerless season a maiden voyage this year (all in the name of herd management).

On another note, I found out from DNR officials that if you obtain a landowners early muzzleloader tag, you can NOT buy county antlerless tags to go with it. Last I knew, you must purchase a resident early muzzleloader tag to be eligible for early mz county antlerless tags (for those hoping to hit the local doe population early).

Anyone know where we can find out which areas have been designated for "block hunt" depredation tags?

The way I read some of the lined out changes it looks like they intend to allow centerfire rifles for the entire January season now, rather than for just the last week as was promised originally. It also appears that mag restrictions have been totally removed for semi-autos. These changes only took 2 years to make, any bets on how long until we have rifles during the regular gun seasons? It also appears that the antlerless quotas in my surrounding counties have gone up dramaticly again, even though most are reporting seeing fewer deer here. I know that I can get fixated on soom negitive things sometimes, but these changes seem to be following the slippery slope that myself and others predicted 2 years ago. The real proof will be when changes are made to the NR license quotas and NR landowner status. For those that will say No way that won't happen, remember what was said 5 years ago about rifle deer hunting in Iowa.
confused.gif

A person who is issued a youth deer hunting license and does not take a deer during the youth deer hunting season may use the deer hunting license and unused tag during the early muzzleloader, late muzzleloader and one of the shotgun seasons.
waytogo.gif

Basically, as I read this section, a youth hunter's tag is now good until they shoot a deer.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Basically, as I read this section, a youth hunter's tag is now good until they shoot a deer.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great change in the regs, lots more hunting for the wee ones, with less money out of Dad's pocket.
grin.gif

Extends the January antlerless season by a week so the season ends on January 27th...

This pisses me off.....
smileys-wut.gif
smileys-wut.gif
smileys-wut.gif
smileys-wut.gif
smileys-wut.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Extends the January antlerless season by a week so the season ends on January 27th

[/ QUOTE ]

more dead bucks!!!
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Extends the January antlerless season by a week so the season ends on January 27th

[/ QUOTE ]

more dead bucks!!!
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What in the hell are they thinking?

If a youth didn't fill his/her youth tag in September and decided to use it 1st shotgun, then could they also buy a 1st shotgun any-sex tag?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

more dead bucks!!!
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What in the hell are they thinking?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention it appears they took the last week only restriction off of the Centerfires.
smileys-wut.gif
smileys-wut.gif
smileys-wut.gif
smileys-wut.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In one respect though, it will be nice for those of us doing a city bowhunt. I won't spend much time in town during the regular archery season, but will be more than happy to be hunting in town when the shotguns are blasting and after January 10th.

[ QUOTE ]
If a youth didn't fill his/her youth tag in September and decided to use it 1st shotgun, then could they also buy a 1st shotgun any-sex tag?

[/ QUOTE ]

Justin,

As in the past, the youth tag will not effect any other tag purchases.

Think of it as a "bonus tag" for the youth....good deal all the way around for our young hunters.
waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Justin,

As in the past, the youth tag will not effect any other tag purchases.

Think of it as a "bonus tag" for the youth....good deal all the way around for our young hunters.
waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Good deal for youth hunters, not such a good deal for shed bucks!

The "Too Many Deer" phylosophy will never end. They were still issuing unlimited doe permits for my area in MI when I left,,even though You could sit in the woods for a week without see a deer.

[ QUOTE ]
Extends the January antlerless season by a week so the season ends on January 27th...

This pisses me off.....
smileys-wut.gif
smileys-wut.gif
smileys-wut.gif
smileys-wut.gif
smileys-wut.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto on that one! I swear they get carried away sometimes. I'm all for herd management and everything but its not helping any if there are more shed bucks mistakenly shot.

This is my first post, and I'm new around so forgive me if I'm jumping into an old topic, but i thought a few points of interest were brought up.

My family owns land in Iowa, we're non-residents. In northeast iowa where we own land, I truly believe the DNR does a terrible job of managing the herd.We shot 20 does this year. We didn't even put a dent in the local herd. the numbers are so out of control in NE Iowa it's disgusting. It's tough for us to manage our local herd because the price of non-res antlerless tags. Fortunately we have residents that hunt with us that buy more doe tags and we let people in to shoot does, but it does little. If i dont draw a buck tag, i still buy my antleress tag and fill it every year, plus some.

The Iowa DNR has a deer problem in NE Iowa, whether they admit it or not. With CWD creeping ever closer, they need to get the population thinned out quickly before the herd is wiped out by other means.

About rifles: Buffalo County, WI, was shotgun only for a long time. In the last 10 years, it went to rifle hunting. The hunting has not suffered. It's gotten even better. It all boils down to who's pulling the trigger. It's worked up there because people believe in QDM. Rifles will thin the herd out better. If more young bucks are shot, the weapon is not to blame. Blame the person behind the trigger.

About Non-residents: I think the landowners deserve some say in this, as they do pay property taxes, however small they may be. When you have zero oak regeneration on your land, you most certainly have a right to help in the deer herd management process in your area. I would support raising the NR quota, HOWEVER, with a catch: Make it earn-a-buck. The Iowa DNR gets increased revenue and herd downsizing. I have no problem shooting a doe before a buck. no big deal. Forcing the NR's to buy a doe tag was just a weak method of extracting more money from the NR's wallet, not a method of herd reduction.

Finally, I think the IDNR needs to go to mandatory carcass registration at check points like Wisconsin. If you think for one second that everyone that shoots a deer calls it in, you are a darn fool. same for the mail order dealio. make registration at check points so the DNR can actually get a good count on whats getting shot. I looked at the numbers in D&DH last year. They claimed they were killing 2/3 of the herd off every year. Maybe in a different part of iowa, but the herd isn't decreasing at all up here.

Sorry for being long-winded, but I thought I could touch on some points and give some insight from a different part of Iowa and from a different prespective

this is why I posted this.

Where were all the complainers the last several months?

Especially at the ICN meeting in April where the Farm Bureau members begging for more antlerless harvest outnumbered hunters of all types?

The spotlight surveys came in and showed no decrease in much of the southern part of the state so the DNR had no legs to stand on, they are mandated to reduce the herd.

Thus more antlerless "stuff" went back into the regs. You did notice that when they thought they were making progress the proposed seasons published in march eliminated some of the doe measures like the November season in some counties.

If we hunters do our job and reduce the herd to goal the extra seasons we complain about go away one by one as long as we keep the herd in check.

As for the NE Iowa NR landowner, it sounds like your doing what you can, just realize that the "DNR" can't micro manage the herd It's up to us hunters to actually accomplish the herd reduction and the landowners to allow enough hunting on their land to lower the herd numbers.

"My family owns land in Iowa, we're non-residents. In northeast iowa where we own land, I truly believe the DNR does a terrible job of managing the herd.We shot 20 does this year. We didn't even put a dent in the local herd. the numbers are so out of control in NE Iowa it's disgusting. It's tough for us to manage our local herd because the price of non-res antlerless tags. Fortunately we have residents that hunt with us that buy more doe tags and we let people in to shoot does, but it does little. If i dont draw a buck tag, i still buy my antleress tag and fill it every year, plus some.

The Iowa DNR has a deer problem in NE Iowa, whether they admit it or not. With CWD creeping ever closer, they need to get the population thinned out quickly before the herd is wiped out by other means.

About Non-residents: I think the landowners deserve some say in this, as they do pay property taxes, however small they may be. When you have zero oak regeneration on your land, you most certainly have a right to help in the deer herd management process in your area. I would support raising the NR quota, HOWEVER, with a catch: Make it earn-a-buck. The Iowa DNR gets increased revenue and herd downsizing. I have no problem shooting a doe before a buck. no big deal. Forcing the NR's to buy a doe tag was just a weak method of extracting more money from the NR's wallet, not a method of herd reduction."

[/ QUOTE ]

Areas of NE iowa have some over population, but I think development has alot more to do with it than what the IDNR is doing or not doing. When you have numerous 80 acre parcels divided into 5-15 acre lots, you #1 cannot get permission from every landowner to hunt that origional 80 and #2 many mini sanctuaries have just been created. So when you drive by and see 8 deer eating a guys shrubs, there's not alot that the DNR can do about that. I personally think the DNR is doing a good job in NE iowa.

As a NR If you would like more say in your land, move 2 miles west and you can have all of the say you want.

Good job in NE Iowa? Because the densities are below 50/square mile? My dad buys timber in NE Iowa. I've gone with him a lot, gotten to walk a lot of ground in NE Iowa. I've seen firsthand around Lansing, Decorah, Waukon, Strawberry Point, i've been all over. Natural oak regeneration in NE Iowa is extremely low, if not non-existant in some areas. This is a direct result of too many deer.

NR landowners obviously don't deserve the same say in things as residents of Iowa, but as landowning tax payers, their opinions need to be at least taken into consideration. If NR landowners and the rest of Iowa can't cooperate, there are still going to be pockets of heavy deer numbers.

Everyone points out all the time on how landowners need to let more people in to hunt. Easier said than done. We used to let anyone in. Guess what? People trashed the place. They shot everything they saw, including small bucks. Landowners, (NR's and Iowans alike), should not be expected to just let people in to hunt. Land is a priceless investment. I know there are people who give everyone else a bad name, but why should a landowner take that risk? (For the record, we let two resident bowhunters in and we let neighbors and other residents hunt with us during shotgun season)

I truly believe in the next 5 years, if more deer aren't shot, the best management tool you will see is going to be CWD.

I hope the IBA doesn't send a strike force to my house tonight to silence me for stating the above
smirk.gif

Top Bottom