Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Final deer rules

[ QUOTE ]
Good job in NE Iowa? Because the densities are below 50/square mile? My dad buys timber in NE Iowa. I've gone with him a lot, gotten to walk a lot of ground in NE Iowa. I've seen firsthand around Lansing, Decorah, Waukon, Strawberry Point, i've been all over. Natural oak regeneration in NE Iowa is extremely low, if not non-existant in some areas. This is a direct result of too many deer.

NR landowners obviously don't deserve the same say in things as residents of Iowa, but as landowning tax payers, their opinions need to be at least taken into consideration. If NR landowners and the rest of Iowa can't cooperate, there are still going to be pockets of heavy deer numbers.

Everyone points out all the time on how landowners need to let more people in to hunt. Easier said than done. We used to let anyone in. Guess what? People trashed the place. They shot everything they saw, including small bucks. Landowners, (NR's and Iowans alike), should not be expected to just let people in to hunt. Land is a priceless investment. I know there are people who give everyone else a bad name, but why should a landowner take that risk? (For the record, we let two resident bowhunters in and we let neighbors and other residents hunt with us during shotgun season)

I truly believe in the next 5 years, if more deer aren't shot, the best management tool you will see is going to be CWD.

I hope the IBA doesn't send a strike force to my house tonight to silence me for stating the above
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The state of Iowa can't only consider what is happening in northeast Iowa. I agree there are probably too many deer up there, but changing regulations to non-residents so you can manage your herd better will affect the whole state, and in some places there is absolutely no problem. They already issue way more antlerless tags to Allamakee county than other counties.

[ QUOTE ]
They already issue way more antlerless tags to Allamakee county than other counties.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I think they don't sell out????

[ QUOTE ]
Good job in NE Iowa? Because the densities are below 50/square mile? My dad buys timber in NE Iowa. I've gone with him a lot, gotten to walk a lot of ground in NE Iowa. I've seen firsthand around Lansing, Decorah, Waukon, Strawberry Point, i've been all over. Natural oak regeneration in NE Iowa is extremely low, if not non-existant in some areas. This is a direct result of too many deer.

NR landowners obviously don't deserve the same say in things as residents of Iowa, but as landowning tax payers, their opinions need to be at least taken into consideration. If NR landowners and the rest of Iowa can't cooperate, there are still going to be pockets of heavy deer numbers.

Everyone points out all the time on how landowners need to let more people in to hunt. Easier said than done. We used to let anyone in. Guess what? People trashed the place. They shot everything they saw, including small bucks. Landowners, (NR's and Iowans alike), should not be expected to just let people in to hunt. Land is a priceless investment. I know there are people who give everyone else a bad name, but why should a landowner take that risk? (For the record, we let two resident bowhunters in and we let neighbors and other residents hunt with us during shotgun season)

I truly believe in the next 5 years, if more deer aren't shot, the best management tool you will see is going to be CWD.

I hope the IBA doesn't send a strike force to my house tonight to silence me for stating the above

[/ QUOTE ]

And lets all welcome back Deerslayer 37..... Banned from the site wasn't enough for you Kelly??? Let the pot stirring begin

offtopic.gif
wall.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a people problem not a DNR problem

Your solution, sell that NE Iowa land and buy triple the amount in Northern Wis.

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a people problem not a DNR problem

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly!

What you (KNelson) and Farm Bureau are unwilling to accept is that you can't just let people hunt and not take an active roll in the management of the deer on your land and still expect somehow the "DNR" will make the deer go away.

Land owners have the ultimate power, they control ACCESS, all you have to do is require your hunters to take does or they're not welcome back. It's that simple.

The DNR has supplies sufficient antlerless tags it's up to landowners to manage their properties (or find hunters willing to do so).

And P.S. Oaks are a full sun species they regenerate poorly under a canopy deer or no deer.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And lets all welcome back Deerslayer 37..... Banned from the site wasn't enough for you Kelly??? Let the pot stirring begin

offtopic.gif
wall.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, i was waiting to be unmasked. I've matured. My opinions differ from previous encounter. Just hear me out a little bit.

First, the DNR could manage NE Iowa as a whole. Instead of county by county management, go by zones. Make it a zone, put quotas for the zone, and issue tags until the quota is met. NR's dont have to have anything to do with this.

Secondly, don't start lecturing me on oak regeneration. My dad's got a degree in Forestry. You think he's just making it up? I've heard the same thing from biologists and others affiliated with the government in iowa.

im not here to cause a ruckus, just offering a slightly differing opinion. I guess it's a lot funner just spewing hate on NR's with likeminded people huh?

A county is a zone...

A nice small one that gets management down to as local as practical for the DNR, your issues are even more localized to specific farms that's the land owner's job to manage.

[ QUOTE ]
Secondly, don't start lecturing me on oak regeneration. My dad's got a degree in Forestry. You think he's just making it up? I've heard the same thing from biologists and others affiliated with the government in iowa.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya well my dad can kick your dad's but.
icon_rolleyes[1].gif

just get more deer shot on your farm, and if the neighbors aren't following suit ya better get the other neighbors together and talk to them about it.

A little peer pressure goes a long way.

No matter what, as long as the DNR supplies sufficient antlerless tags (without supplying so many as to decimate the population) it's not their job to go out and shoot the deer too.

[ QUOTE ]
I guess it's a lot funner just spewing hate on NR's with likeminded people huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you're just trying to spin the deer pop issue into something to benefit your specific situation.

Pretty sure someone's always gonna call BS on that one.

[ QUOTE ]
(For the record, we let two resident bowhunters in and we let neighbors and other residents hunt with us during shotgun season)

[/ QUOTE ]

So how many does did those hunters take?
And do you have any idea if that was enough?

Of course you let residents hunt "with" you during shotgun season, you needed buck tags in the party.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

So how many does did those hunters take?
And do you have any idea if that was enough?

Of course you let residents hunt "with" you during shotgun season, you needed buck tags in the party.

[/ QUOTE ]

all in all, i believe the final tally was 21 does.

nah, the buck tag thing seems like the obvious answer. we have family in iowa that gets the landowner buck tag so theres always an extra one.

i actually had a funny chat with an Iowan i work with. he's in his 40's, lives on a small farm, hunts during shotgun season, probably your average deer hunter in iowa, just slug hunts. I told him i drew my tag and such, and his response was more colorful, but basically asked why we were so stupid to pay that much money to shoot a deer when we own so much land, just get a PO box etc etc..brought up the point many non-res's are bowhunters around here and leasing/buying up land by NR's will probably never be a problem around here..Also, he brought up the GREAT point of paying property taxes, which should lead to some preference over other NR's, at the very least

I laughed, i thought that was pretty good to hear that coming from a RESIDENT of the state of Iowa. Say as you might, that he doesnt not reflect others, but I just thought i'd share that, as he humored me with it.
I'll get an address to the IBA in case they want to send some people out and silece him. That kind of talk just doesn't belong in Iowa now, does it?

Top Bottom