Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Great Morning

Those two spots on a deer are fairly far apart, not sure how you went from chest to liver to above the spine??? Are you and Teenagehunter aren't brothers???

I can promise you that if you grazed him, you didn't have blood for 300 yds. I'm also throwing the BS flag that your buddy is able to tell muscle blood from any other type of blood. The blood that flows through the veins and arteries that feed the muscles is the same blood flowing through the heart and lungs. Only way your distinguishing which organs you shot such as a gut shot and a liver shot, it upon impact. Gut shots have the obvious fecal matter and smell, your liver shots are a darker blood and well your lungs shots are bright bubbly pink blood.

Boner - you are pretty confident in your BS flag. I hope you are drinking heavily when you make 90% of your posts.

I shot one above the spine several years ago.... Well into the body but absolutely above the spine. I almost was waiting for him to tip over possibly, then I realized it was high though too so I got nervous. He went to chasing does and watched him for 45 mins- like nothing happened. Saw him several more times, never a good shot- found his sheds that spring and then the following fall and he was healthy and a little bigger. I'm going to say I hit him 3-5" down.

didn't winke hit the monster he shot last year high above the spine the year before? I have watched a couple deer under the stand I was in that were hit above the spine and were doing fine. The injuries were healed over fairly well. One of the hits I'm fairly sure was from a rifle. It looked like a shark bite taken out of the top of the back above the shoulder.

I hit a buck above the spine last year, confirmed it because a kid shot him the following week during gun season.

I can promise you that if you grazed him, you didn't have blood for 300 yds.

300 yards is about exactly how much blood trail you will get with a high shot that goes through the loin muscle! Don't ask me how I know! I don't want to talk about it yet... :( :eek: :rolleyes:

Been there myself. I could have swore it was a chest shot but I hit him high. I always thought you could tell the difference between muscle blood and organ blood. Booner explained it about right on the organ blood but I always thought muscle blood was a deeper color...

Good luck and hopefully you hook up with him or the one on your cam...

Been there also. This season I arrowed a buck high. I am not kiddin followed good blood for over 300 yds. Heck half the time my dad and brother couldn't keep up to me I was runnin down the trail there was that good of a blood trail. Then gradually went south. I was disgusted. I knew i had hit him high but was praying on the one lunger. I hit him in know mans land! About 3 weeks later still goin like nothin had touched him at all I finally had connected.
Heres a picture were I had hit him the 1st time. No kiddin he bled more the first time than when I actually harvested him. He was all healed up, no green nothin but a 3 blade scar and some healing straps.
picture.php

I hit one high this year also. Now that I think about it the trail probably was about 300 yards or so. I did find some small drops on other side of farm ware he crossed creek heading into big timber.

Chill gentlemen. "Those who live in glass houses shouldn't..."
Sooner or later, we all will take a shot we wish we could have back. If you don't want anyone to comment on it, keep it to yourself!

Chill gentlemen. "Those who live in glass houses shouldn't..."
Sooner or later, we all will take a shot we wish we could have back. If you don't want anyone to comment on it, keep it to yourself!

I'm chilled. Like I said in the other post I don't want to start anything. I just want to know how I made fun of him.

Top Bottom