Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa Whitetail Outfitter

no idea how long it will take to draw, but you can apply as a group, that way you will draw as a group. different zones can get you to draw tags earlier, but your trophy bucks will be harder to come by.

I might consider the Late Muzzy tag- can get it almost every year and it's darn good hunting if you have food. Watch out for outfitters that have too much pressure (do your homework) because some ground could be shot by then if they are churning guys through all season long.
Bow would be my other choice BUT it's obviously every 2 to 3 years. Good luck!

After talking with my dad and brother (who is in college), we would probably only be able to go during the late muzzy season.....Do I want to try and book a 5 day hunt on the last 5 days of the season? If I did this, what are the chances of 4 of us drawing tags? Do outfitters get tags each year b/c they are outfitters?

Being a non-resident and having played the game for several year now - I will pass on my 2 cents. Depending on zone - archery will take 2-3 years to draw the tag. Follow this website and you will learn allot about timing to hunt. Personally I like to be in Iowa a couple days both sides of Nov 10th. Over the years this timing has been most successful for me. I have also hunted the late muzzleloader and shotgun seasons and would agree that I like late muzzy better than shotgun. Success as can also be seen on here is dependent on weather and I can't say there would be much difference in hunting Jan 1 or Jan 11 so I don't see the advantage to waiting until last 5 days. Maybe there is but only based upon weather conditions that particular year. You actually would have a chance to draw first year without points and would almost definitely draw 2nd year. I have had my most fun on these late muzzy hunts. As has been mentioned you can apply as a group so you will either all draw or not. All of my hunting has been with J&S Trophy Hunts for more than the last 15 years-I don't even consider the others. JStrophyhunts.com. Yes after 15+ years we are good friends but I am not paid or discounted to promote him. Check them out and compare and make your own judgement.

I was checkin them out yester day on their website a little...How many acres do they lease/own? the other question I have is that are there always hunters there pressuring the deer?

If you are referring to J&S - I honestly am not sure of how many acres are theirs in Iowa but I would estimate in the 4-5000 range. Yes like all outfitters who are in it for the money they do hunt each week starting the last week of October and archery hunt thru the week before Thanksgiving and then the 2 gun seasons and late muzzy. Amount of guys in camp depends allot on the draw and who was booked each week. Some weeks like first shotgun only had 4 hunters and there were 11 when I was there the week prior to Thanksgiving. I was not fortunate to score but the group took 6 bucks ranging from 128-155 that week with a booner missed. They just re-did the website so prior year pictures are not up. All pics on the site are this year kills and as of today there are probably 12 Iowa bucks not on there as yet. I have researched others and feel J&S gives the best bang for the buck. They offer a 6 day hunt where others are usually 5. The accomadations are first rate, food is excellent and they have a terrific desire to have their hunters be successful and not just see deer but be in position to have a shot and have year in and year out high success rates for all their hunts. During archery this year they were probably close to 50% on kills and probably 90% on having a shot opportunity on 130 class or better bucks. I know of very few outfitters that can match that. Particularly in Iowa - don't believe anything about limiting numbers each week. The high lease dollars these guys pay along with the draw require a minimum of double booking each week to increase their odds of having a full camp. Remember one thing about outfitters - this is their livelihood and business and the bottom line is they are in it to make money - the ones that provide quality hunts like J&S have virtually all repeat business (their bookings are probably 95% repeat customers) and they are able to stay in business the ones that can't do that are soon gone regardless of how many guys are in camp each week. It is all about how they manage the properties and the pressure they put on those properties.

Top Bottom