Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Larry Zach shot a giant

How'd I miss this???? MONSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats Old Buck.

If he ever scores it, I'll be interested in hearing but I sure own't lose and sleep over not knowing,...I just know it's a beast!

First off, I didn't mean that the deer needed a number attached to it as any form of validation. A hunter can shoot ANY deer they wish wether it has buttons or 200 inches of bone, wether it's 6 months or 6.5 years.

I was more meaning that as a hunter, I would think that curiousity would surely take over at some point. Wouldn't you just wonder what it scored?

I'm picturing a hunter and 4 or 5 of his buddies sitting in the garage, he tells the great story of the hunt, they watch the video, they go on about what a great deer this is... then everyone gets quiet and one of his closest buddies says "so what do you think he'll score?"

IT'S A GREAT DEER (as they all are) NO MATTER WHAT! Wouldn't it be just a little fun to put the tape to it?

My thinking is that if you are disapointed after you SCORE a deer, you are looking at it totally wrong!

As far as the "Slap in the face" maybe that was a little much. BUT, to me it made it sound like he was a little to good for everyone else. Thats fine, but you shared everything else about the hunt for this deer but yet won't share the score of this fine animal?

If this was not on MW Iowa and we just heard through the grape vine that Larry Zach shot a monster 7x6 typical but never ever heard a score, that would be one thing. But, this deer was harvested on video for MW for everyone to watch. It just seemed like a little tease to me. They never had to say a word about if he was going to score it or not, but they did make a point to.

Like I said before, I would score it in my garage just to satisfy my own curiousity.

I'm sure that Larry's intentions were not to belittle anyone so sorry for that and good luck to Marsha and her quest for 10 plus.

I've already put way to much time and thought into a deer that someone else shot... need to focus on getting a couple of my own deer now.

I'm out.:drink1:

My question?? Where does he hunt. Not that it matters just curious. And,,on how much land does he hunt? Just curious.

I would be be willing to bet Larry knows exactly what it scores he just doesn't want to tell everyone. If I had to guess, I would say low to mid 180s gross.

Congrats to Larry for a heck of a deer.
Call me nostalgic, but I sure do miss the old days when Larry would of been on here himself telling us about it first hand.

Friends, old and new,

I finally made time to check in to Iowa Whitetail earlier today and read all the posts. I really appreciate the time you took to extend congratulations and share comments.

At my age the auto-delete feature in my brain frequently activates, and it did again this morning, so I couldn't remember my user name and password and therefore couldn't reply!

Thanks to an email and help from onecam he automatically got me logged in. Thanks Chris, you are a true friend and covered for me again.

When time permits I want to reply individually to many of the above posts and the scoring debate, but those will all deserve more attention and time than I have right now.

For the moment, I will say that, to me, what a buck scores is a lot less important than sharing special moments with special people. So, thanks to everyone above for taking the time to share.

Also, eventually, I will post a lot more of the story, the trail camera shots and the video. It all takes time, and that seems to be the rarest commodity. Right now the forest is calling.

Have fun out there and enjoy the moment!
Old Buck

Thanks for the reply Larry and congrats on a tremendous whitetail....and to have your wife behind the camera...well, you can't beat that.

what a buck scores is a lot less important than sharing special moments with special people.

Well said. That is something a lot of us forget from time to time.

Congrats on another tremendous buck:way:

Classy, as always, that Old Buck guy! I look forward to his future replies.

I don't want to hijack a thread recognizing his fantastic buck and I also do not speak for Larry, but I will say that as you get older your goals and what is important to you change from year to year, even as it relates to hunting. (I am in my late 40's now and the father of 2 teenagers that love to hunt too.)

I am not saying I don't try to get nice bucks, because I do, but I truly get more enjoyment watching the boys develop as hunters AND just spending time with them as I know the years of being at home with mom and dad are winding down fast. So if someone shoots a buck, no matter how big it is, and says the score isn't important to them...it's more about good times with family and friends, I can get that. Now 15 years ago I would have thought something completely different.

I can remember being in the truck with the boys a couple of years ago as we drove into town for our traditional "break in the hunting action" lunch at the Lunch Box in Douds and tears just came to me eyes as I considered that my boys and I were sharing such great times together. I told them then that I hoped they enjoyed these times as much as I did, and they both gave me the, "What's the matter with dad?" stare.

But I trust that someday they will truly understand the depth of my feelings and appreciation for these times. Believe it or not, a couple of years ago I had a HUGE buck trailing a doe in the classic November manner and I am pretty darn sure I would have had a totally unobstructed 40 yards shot in about 1 more minute when some deer spooked about 200 yards away in front of my son. I was seriously contemplating letting him go on by me to see if he could make his way down to where my son was, so he could have a shot at him. Now once the jig was up, neither of us got a shot at him, but I was content to see my son get the chance, it wasn't about the score...

The year before that we were in tree together when a monster buck presented a virtual slam dunk, wide open shot at 16 yards. I never even reached for my bow, again, I was quite content to let my son have the opportunity, which he blew when he hit the stand with his bow! :D

Now, back to Old Buck, great deer, great man and a great story and I don't have to know the score of his buck to feel that way. I wish everyone else a happy and productive season, there should be many nice bucks going down in the next several weeks!! Take it from an old timer though...enjoy the times with family and friends, the deer, while fascinating are not the primary thing.

Thanks Larry for coming back on here and posting that. I respect your decision on the scoring issue, and I would really like to hear your reasoning and what factors brought you to that conclusion, whatever it is. Seems like a very interesting topic of conversation and I for one would like to pick your brain a little. I hope that as time allows, you will favor us with some insight. Once again congrats.

Friends, old and new,

I finally made time to check in to Iowa Whitetail earlier today and read all the posts. I really appreciate the time you took to extend congratulations and share comments.

At my age the auto-delete feature in my brain frequently activates, and it did again this morning, so I couldn't remember my user name and password and therefore couldn't reply!

Thanks to an email and help from onecam he automatically got me logged in. Thanks Chris, you are a true friend and covered for me again.

When time permits I want to reply individually to many of the above posts and the scoring debate, but those will all deserve more attention and time than I have right now.

For the moment, I will say that, to me, what a buck scores is a lot less important than sharing special moments with special people. So, thanks to everyone above for taking the time to share.

Also, eventually, I will post a lot more of the story, the trail camera shots and the video. It all takes time, and that seems to be the rarest commodity. Right now the forest is calling.

Have fun out there and enjoy the moment!
Old Buck

Great post to go along with a great deer. No matter what it would score IMO visually this buck is as beautiful as any of the models you've done in the past. Congrats! :way:

Top Bottom